Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
Post Reply
vijay.siddharth
Posts: 283
Joined: 14 May 2017, 13:08
x 208
x 12

#51 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by vijay.siddharth » 07 Jun 2018, 14:49

I went on the walking tour of the Music Academy this season, and the guide, Sri V. Sriram, informed us that the decision is taken on the third weekend of July, so this year, it will be either on July 14-15 OR July 21-22. So any discussion until then will be purely speculative.
1 x

rajeshnat
Posts: 8099
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 08:04
x 46
x 142

#52 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by rajeshnat » 07 Jun 2018, 17:50

vijay.siddharth wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 14:49
I went on the walking tour of the Music Academy this season, and the guide, Sri V. Sriram, informed us that the decision is taken on the third weekend of July, so this year, it will be either on July 14-15 OR July 21-22. So any discussion until then will be purely speculative.
Year on Year it is easy to always tell for the next four years who would be the probable candidates but to say who will be this year sangeetha kalanidhi is always difficult . O gosh how many discussions i have myself done in the past , this year I will speculate within myself and partially let it out ,this year it will a toss between one likely vidwan and one likely vidushi , both are vocalists.
0 x

vijay.siddharth
Posts: 283
Joined: 14 May 2017, 13:08
x 208
x 12

#53 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by vijay.siddharth » 07 Jun 2018, 18:04

rajeshnat wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 17:50
vijay.siddharth wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 14:49
I went on the walking tour of the Music Academy this season, and the guide, Sri V. Sriram, informed us that the decision is taken on the third weekend of July, so this year, it will be either on July 14-15 OR July 21-22. So any discussion until then will be purely speculative.
Year on Year it is easy to always tell for the next four years who would be the probable candidates but to say who will be this year sangeetha kalanidhi is always difficult . O gosh how many discussions i have myself done in the past , this year I will speculate within myself and partially let it out ,this year it will a toss between one likely vidwan and one likely vidushi , both are vocalists.
You have made the Paruppu Urundai Kozhambu and you have not garnished it! Please give out your guesses!
0 x

ram1999
Posts: 358
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 17:20
x 6
x 40

#54 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by ram1999 » 07 Jun 2018, 20:40

Whilst the artists who have been awarded the SK are great artists and highly reputed, the question lies whether they have been awarded at the right time of thier career (when they are at their peak) as a nudge or a motivation/ recognition etc, there does seen a lot of subjectivity, flawed selection, influence, bias etc.... And I guess it ought to be there as no selection process is perfect.

However, many deserving artists have been left out ... These artists have been listed and discussed and therefore there is no need to emphasize them.

What is however, real miss is U Srinivas. Man, this artist should have been awarded when he was in his 20s as by that age he had achieved everything that was possible collectively of at least a 100 artists of repute.

I was listening to his nasigabhushini today and half way thru my eyes were watering - sheer ecstasy - and sadness that he left this world at such a young age - and we missed awarding this great artist - a rare phenomenon !!!!!!
3 x

sridhar
Posts: 63
Joined: 08 Jan 2007, 01:47
Location: NorthEast, USA
x 2

#55 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by sridhar » 11 Jun 2018, 23:39

here are a couple of other misses
Veena S Balachandar
S Rajam - besides being a multi faceted artist (Sruthi called him - "Rajam a Rare Gem") he was a great soul with simple living. In an interview he said "every day I wake up, the only thing on my mind is to do one helpful thing for others" - or words to that effect).
0 x

hnbhagavan
Posts: 1368
Joined: 21 Jun 2008, 22:06
x 19

#56 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by hnbhagavan » 13 Jun 2018, 05:04

Veena Chittibabu also was not conferred.Besides scores of people MDR,Netiyankara Vasudevan,Voleti Venkateshwarulu prominent among vocalists.
Lalgudi is another well known case.
1 x

arasi
Posts: 15709
Joined: 22 Jun 2006, 09:30
x 321
x 182

#57 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by arasi » 13 Jun 2018, 05:40

The number of excellent vidwans and vidushis far exceeds the one annual award MA gives. It's going to get even more difficult with the increasing number of young musicians who are coming up at present. Let's be happy about that, and be content with the fact that one lone award alone does not decide the merits of many of them...
And not persist like a difficult child who says: I want that toy, and only that one! We would leave that bit to the musicians :)
1 x

HarishankarK
Posts: 1622
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 11:55
x 2
x 22

#58 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by HarishankarK » 13 Jun 2018, 06:08

Sanjay's announcement Jun 21st
Ravikiran's Jun 16th

we just need to wait for a couple more weeks - and we will know
0 x

Pratyaksham Bala
Posts: 3301
Joined: 21 May 2010, 16:57
x 95
x 73

#59 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Pratyaksham Bala » 13 Jun 2018, 07:54

.
Waning interest in Sangeetha Kalanidhi award.
2 x

Ponbhairavi
Posts: 1060
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 08:05
Location: Pondicherry
x 56
x 76

#60 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Ponbhairavi » 13 Jun 2018, 18:15

some judgements reveal more about the judiciary than about the litigants,.may be such is the case now about the sangeetha kalanidhi.The Rasikatvam, ,ie, the quality and the number of rasikas in Cm is not the same as what it was 30 y(ears) ago. there is explosion of young talents with astounding potential and commitmentsThe academy to maintain its primacy should come out of the self imposed shackle and conduct the festival for one month the whole of december, for which it does not lack any infrastructure.
0 x

Sivaramakrishnan
Posts: 1321
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 08:29
x 1
x 80

#61 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Sivaramakrishnan » 13 Jun 2018, 20:23

'Sangita Kalanidhi' is undoubtedly the Oscar of Carnatic music.
0 x

RSR
Posts: 1010
Joined: 11 Oct 2015, 23:31
x 77
x 31

#62 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by RSR » 13 Jun 2018, 20:38

ram1999 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 20:40
Whilst the artists who have been awarded the SK are great artists and highly reputed, the question lies whether they have been awarded at the right time of thier career (when they are at their peak) as a nudge or a motivation/ recognition etc, there does seen a lot of subjectivity, flawed selection, influence, bias etc.... And I guess it ought to be there as no selection process is perfect.

However, many deserving artists have been left out ... These artists have been listed and discussed and therefore there is no need to emphasize them.

What is however, real miss is U Srinivas. Man, this artist should have been awarded when he was in his 20s as by that age he had achieved everything that was possible collectively of at least a 100 artists of repute.

I was listening to his nasigabhushini today and half way thru my eyes were watering - sheer ecstasy - and sadness that he left this world at such a young age - and we missed awarding this great artist - a rare phenomenon !!!!!!
Yes, Sir. Why not abolish the scheme of awarding of living artistes, and give only posthumous awards? Secondly, such posthumous award can be given each year to a group of artistes and not any individual alone.
As ram1999 has suggested, this year's award can be given to USrinivas, Mali. Some year perhaps in the near future, Smt. N.C.VASANTHAKOKILAM should definitely be awarded.
Within the coming five years, all the deserving artistes, who are no more should be given the award and backlog cleared.
0 x

hnbhagavan
Posts: 1368
Joined: 21 Jun 2008, 22:06
x 19

#63 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by hnbhagavan » 13 Jun 2018, 22:06

Of what use is the POSTHUMOUS award.There is really no need to change the System.Let it continue in the same way.Yes Some will get left out.It happens in all fields.
0 x

Nick H
Posts: 8769
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 02:03
x 429
x 219

#64 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Nick H » 13 Jun 2018, 22:22

And it is hard to get dead people to take part in functions. More than just an award too, they expect real work form their SK designate each year!
2 x

hnbhagavan
Posts: 1368
Joined: 21 Jun 2008, 22:06
x 19

#65 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by hnbhagavan » 14 Jun 2018, 05:42

True.Any system of awards has its own advantages and disadvantages.Sangeethakalanidhi is a coveted title.The benefits are multi fold for the awardee.
Posthumous awards serve no purpose.
1 x

uday_shankar
Posts: 1382
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 08:37
x 43
x 94

#66 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by uday_shankar » 14 Jun 2018, 09:24

Nick H wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 22:22
And it is hard to get dead people to take part in functions.
Dead on.
Nick H wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 22:22
More than just an award too, they expect real work form their SK designate each year!
And that tradition would hit a dead end..
2 x

Sundara Rajan
Posts: 963
Joined: 08 Apr 2007, 08:19
x 1
x 20

#67 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Sundara Rajan » 14 Jun 2018, 09:30

I am tired of suggesting this year after year ! At least TWO awards should be made every year, at least hereafter, one for a vocal artist and another for an instrumental artist, so that most deserving artists could be covered within their lifetime, based only on merit with no rotation for language, region, age, religion etc.. Suggestions of our forumites have fallen on deaf ears of Music Academy. The Academy relented to give the award to female artists starting with M.S. Subbulakshmi in 1968 (?) and later gave it to both the sister duos (Neela & Kunjumani and Bombay Sisters ) although denied to Alathur Brothers earlier. Why not change the process now and give the award to TWO artists every year ?!
2 x

sureshvv
Posts: 4679
Joined: 05 Jul 2007, 18:17
x 88
x 281

#68 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by sureshvv » 14 Jun 2018, 11:24

hnbhagavan wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 05:42
True.Any system of awards has its own advantages and disadvantages.Sangeethakalanidhi is a coveted title.The benefits are multi fold for the awardee.
Posthumous awards serve no purpose.
My fear is that people may start dying just to earn the award :D
6 x

sureshvv
Posts: 4679
Joined: 05 Jul 2007, 18:17
x 88
x 281

#69 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by sureshvv » 14 Jun 2018, 13:19

Sundara Rajan wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 09:30
I am tired of suggesting this year after year !
Yea! And how do you think we feel? :D
At least TWO awards should be made every year, at least hereafter, one for a vocal artist and another for an instrumental artist, so that most deserving artists could be covered within their lifetime, based only on merit with no rotation for language, region, age, religion etc
They probably feel that the import of the award will be cut in half. But no rotation for language, region, age, religion should still be possible.
1 x

rshankar
Posts: 13103
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 22:26
x 374
x 102

#70 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by rshankar » 14 Jun 2018, 16:17

sureshvv wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 11:24
My fear is that people may start dying just to earn the award :D
A very logical next step, especially since history shows that threatening to die (commit suicide, to be precise) was a very successful ploy!! :lol:
3 x

arasi
Posts: 15709
Joined: 22 Jun 2006, 09:30
x 321
x 182

#71 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by arasi » 14 Jun 2018, 17:37

"Die I will", was the dare--
Fait accompli, but rasikAs
Spare not--fame had arrived
With ill-fame, after all :(
1 x

K Nagarajan
Posts: 81
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 22:19

#72 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by K Nagarajan » 15 Jun 2018, 14:05

The following is the link for an article on voice culture that appeared in the Friday Review of The Hindu online edition dated 14.06.2018.

http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 161550.ece
0 x

uday_shankar
Posts: 1382
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 08:37
x 43
x 94

#73 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by uday_shankar » 15 Jun 2018, 15:46

rshankar wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 16:17
A very logical next step, especially since history shows that threatening to die (commit suicide, to be precise) was a very successful ploy!! :lol:
And thereby hangs a tale... pun expressly intended :P
0 x

sangitadasan
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 May 2017, 20:50

#74 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by sangitadasan » 16 Jun 2018, 02:18

Dr. Ritha Rajan
0 x

Pratyaksham Bala
Posts: 3301
Joined: 21 May 2010, 16:57
x 95
x 73

#75 Re: Sangeetha Kalanidhi 2018

Post by Pratyaksham Bala » 16 Jun 2018, 04:28

.
Dr. Ritha Rajan was given the Musicologist Award in 2012.
That is it.
0 x

Post Reply