Lalitha Sivakumar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Smt. Lalitha Sivakumar (mother of NityasrI Mahadevan) w/o Sivakumar (mridangist), d/o Palghat Mani Iyer, and d-i-l of DKP is a composer of significant merit but has remained in the background amidst all the popularity of other members of her family. Shall we discuss her compostions here? She has tuned some Bharathi's songs which NityasrI has rendered. One of her own compositions rendered by NityasrI is in rAgam pAlini starting as "kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati tuNaivaruvAy..."

Has she composed other songs which are sung by others?

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

I have heard Smt. Nityashree render a kriti in the ragam sUryA(sallApam), dedicated to Lord Surya himself. Of course, we are waiting for Lakshman ji to come up with an exhaustive list....:D
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 04 Jul 2007, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Can anyone shed more light on this very talented person? I heard that she is a great guru and singer herself.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

As mahakavi mentioned, Lalitha Sivakumar has remained in the background and so have her compositions.
The only addition to the two songs, mentioned already, is a tillAna in valaji that I know of.

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

It is interesting that she has always remained in the background for she truly is a very knowledgeable person. She has trained her daughter Nityasree very well.

shishyapriya

Post by shishyapriya »

yes, it is true.

The compositions that I have heard Nithyasree sung from her mother -

Kapalini Dayanidhi umapathy - ragam palini
Karyakarana swaroopane - ragam surya

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Lakshman wrote:As mahakavi mentioned, Lalitha Sivakumar has remained in the background and so have her compositions.
The only addition to the two songs, mentioned already, is a tillAna in valaji that I know of.
You missed the Ragamalika Thillana too. She has also composed a Navarasa composition recently, as indicated in a review.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

ennwinn

Post by ennwinn »

can anyone post the raagamalika thillana and the navarasa compostition of lalitha sivakumar pls

venkatakailasam

Re: kapalini dayanidhi

Post by venkatakailasam »

. One of her own compositions rendered by NityasrI is in rAgam pAlini starting as "kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati tuNaivaruvAy..."

This was rendered by Niranjini Srinivasan -Deciple of Smt Laltha Sivakumar.

You can listen at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ628RilNAQ

'E'-SWARA-Msic-13-Niranjana Srinivasan-kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati

venkatakailasam

vasanthakokilam

Re: Lalitha Sivakumar

Post by vasanthakokilam »

That sounds a lot like Revathi.

BTW, the singer Niranjana Srinivasan sounds very good. Youtube had other performances by her, and she comes off as quite an energetic and confident singer ( has some of Nithyashree mannerisms!! )

venkatakailasam

vasanthakokilam wrote:( has some of Nithyashree mannerisms!! )

I did not want to say that. You have said it!!

Even Lavanya Sundar raman has similar mannerisms.
Please view this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NChmvu-VEjo

venkatakailasam

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yes, Lavanya does as well!! It is that voice projection and uninhibited open throat-ed singing, and quite effortlessly so. It is good stuff, no issues. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to songs that require some restraint and finesse ( like shankarabharanam, even when it goes to higher sthayi, a different modulation is warranted, I think )

venkatakailasam

vasanthakokilam wrote:Yes, Lavanya does as well!! It is that voice projection and uninhibited open throat-ed singing, and quite effortlessly so. It is good stuff, no issues. It will be interesting to see how they adjust to songs that require some restraint and finesse ( like shankarabharanam, even when it goes to higher sthayi, a different modulation is warranted, I think )
open throat-ed singing is going to present problems in the long run unless they -especially
Niranjana-try practicing to curb it .
. Any way she has the able guidance from Smt. Lalitha Sivakumar and also from Kalaimamani Nityashree .

venkatakailasam

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

“Lalitha Sivakumar is a Carnatic musician and Composer, born in a family with rich musical traditions in Palakkad, and later married to a musicial family of Chennai.

She is the daughter of Mridangam maestro Palghat Mani Iyer and daughter-in-law of leading Carnatic vocalist, the late D.K. Pattammal. Noted Mridangist T.R. Rajamani and violinist T.R. Rajaram are her brothers. She is the mother of prominent Carnatic vocalist Nithyashree Mahadevan and grandmother of Lavanya Sundararaman.”

https://www.veethi.com/india-people/lal ... 781-24.htm

kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApathi
Composed by Lalitha Sivakumar
Rendered by her daughter Nithyashree Mahadevan :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSAm1V5YObA