Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
jodha

#1 Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Post by jodha » 14 Sep 2018, 12:59

It is really disheartening to read about the poor attendance in concerts.Will it be O.k if a box is kept where people who feel like can offer their might.
No doubt artists whether new comers or seasoned will feel hard to present infrontof a near empty hall.
0 x

ram1999

#2 Re: Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Post by ram1999 » 14 Sep 2018, 17:54

Good artists attract less crowd and they are least bothered about who is sitting in front of them as they sing for their own satisfaction. So do not ponder too much about how they would feel :)
0 x

Pratyaksham Bala

#3 Re: Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Post by Pratyaksham Bala » 14 Sep 2018, 18:06

Poor audience? As long as the remuneration is not linked to ticket sale, the artist won't feel bad !

And, ‘Box’ may not be a good idea. It may turn out to be a ‘scare-crowd’ !
0 x

CRama

#4 Re: Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Post by CRama » 14 Sep 2018, 21:43

Regarding miniscule audience in concerts.
During season, Chennai Cultural Academy (earlier Nungambakkam Cultural Academy) holding concerts in Rama rao Kalyana mantap In Habibullah Road, Nungambakkam is infamous for single digit audience for most of the concerts (ticketed) except stars. The sabha, while giving slots to the musicians, make it clear that they can only give the slot. But not guarantee the audience.

While talking to musicians, I could make out that at least some of the musicians who have not many opportunities, are happy that they got a slot in the season- irrespectful of the size of the audience.

Last year, daughter of one famous musician performed in a morning slot. There was single digit audience only. The father musician brought two persons with him and the review of the concert appeared in Hindu. I presume the reviewer was brought in by the father musician.

But I should say that, unmindful of the number in their front, the musicians strive to give their best.
0 x

Sachi_R

#5 Re: Do concerts need to be ticketed or how artists feel when handful of rasikas present?

Post by Sachi_R » 14 Sep 2018, 23:18

Recently the well known Unnati Gokulashtami series took place in Bangalore. They moved the venue from the Unnati Hall to the Odakattur Math (apparently some local citizen forum has taken them to court for creating difficulties by conducting well-attended concerts at Unnati).
I did not attend a single concert, for a variety of reasons. Those who did go reported very meagre audiences even for SK's and future SK's.

I think we folks are having too much of a good thing by round - the - year webcasts, TV, radio, You Tube canned stuff etc. It seems too hard to commit and attend concerts. And eventually the glamour value of attending and being seen at "happening" concerts rubs off too.
0 x