Sudha Ragunathan - BGS@Petachi 6 Dec

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Shalu

Sudha Ragunathan - BGS@Petachi 6 Dec

Post by Shalu »

Back to Chennai, back to the onset of Marghazhi and sabha hopping. Am excited. The closest yday to my Mylapore shopping was the Petachi auditiorium. And aren’t I glad I chose that for my first! Those who missed Sudha Ragunathan here really missed some vibrant surfing I must say :) . A concert that spelt power right from the word ‘go!’ It had variety, emotion, divinity, melody and touched each one of us in the audience. The accompanying artistes further elevated the already super- good concert. A kind of a varied fare I must say.

‘Vasantha adi thala varnam’ was the starter for the big sumptuous meal. ‘Sri Vathapi’ in Sahana had simple short swaras. Then came a homage to Saint Thyagaraja with ‘Evarani’ in Devamruthavarshini.

This was followed by the poignant Dhanyasi. The raga alapana dripped with bhava and I was able to perceive a completely different Sudha there... much more mature and oblivious of where she was and what she sang. A trace of abandon, I would say! The neraval was even more tugging, strumming into the chords of our hearts. Swaram was a take-off after 3 matras short and gripping. It was Meenalochana, a kriti of Sri Syama Sastri.

‘Nambikkettavar’ in Hindolam (Ppapanasam Sivan) came like a breath of fresh air. Quite some time since I heard this from her. The grand centre piece was ‘Nee samana’ of Sri GNB in Shubapantuvarali. Sudha’s power was completely unleashed and she sang with complete control over her ‘thaans.’

Kannan played several phrases with Sa and Pa varjam and they sounded heavenly. The rain that they predicted would pour in Chennai poured inside the auditorium. I thought there was going to be a thani but no….

What followed was quite a package of surprise! A 3 raga pallavi in Valaji, Keeravani and Kalyani. The transitions between the ragas were seamless and smooth. On the violin it seemed more magical though!

The thani between Patri and Raman was dynamite though initially they went on aimlessly and meandered to get to the take off point. I was wondering where I lost them?! It always happens..during the thani there is an exodus, despite the main artist beseeching and requesting…

‘Theeradha vilayaattu pillai’ brought Kannan and the creator Bharathi alive! A soulful ugaboga and ‘Raagi thandheero’ in Ahirbhairavi. Those ardent devotees of MLV would have had a gush of her memory – I am one and that’s what drives me to Sudha’s concerts each time. MLV’s renditions are timeless. And hearing her piece de resistance was like a feeling of dejavu. A Sai bhajan in Vaasanthi was followed by the the mangalam. I was a little flummoxed when I heard it begin with ‘Allah’ and was wondering what now? :o . But then it meant God is One.... it was a less heard Sai kriti, I was told by a neighbour!

I hummed ‘kallaal mayanguvadhu poale’ and drove home. Only that the kallu in this case was the music! Thank you wonderful artistes for an evening that I will cherish this for times to come and look out for someone who can better this! The season is still young…!! But I must try and get this ‘Allah’ song that is a sai bhajan! All help welcome :)

rshankar

Re: Sudha Ragunathan - BGS@Petachi 6 Dec

Post by rshankar »

Thank you! What was the pallavi?

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Shankarji that was Kalavathi parvathi neeye gathi Keeravani, Kalyani Gowri in Khanda triputa thalam,
Khanda nadai
Last edited by Shalu on 08 Dec 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shalu wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 08:35 Shankaji that was 'Kalavathi parvathi neeye gathi' in Keeravani, Kalyani Gowri, Khanda triputa thalam,
Khanda nadai
Kalavathi parvathi neeye gati! KeervAni Kalyani is the pallavi line in 3 lines . I did not attend this concert googled to find once sudha has sung in singapore and last year SureshVV has written a review where sangeetha swaminathan had taken this pallavi
viewtopic.php?t=30380

I am assuming there is a possibility that both vidushis had sung in kalavathi instead of valaci though both are close . Since there is some difference with the raga name as kalavathi i am assuming musicians will be careful not to sing valaci. or may be a case it is only valaci , they already have a malayamarutham trespass to worry about.

Shalu ,
Thank you for your great review, quite a flow of stream of metaphors . keep pouring more reviews like this please.

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Rajeshji thank you for your balanced observations and feedback. I stand corrected on the typo error that i have rectified.

Thank you for the link on Sangeetha Swaminathan.

Yes Sudha has sung it earlier and I understand she did announce she is singing Valaji but is going to use the Hindustani counterpart in the name of Kalavathi, as using other names of Devi. Wrt Sangeetha singing it, Sudha being her guru I guess it's understandable. But Sangeetha seems to have structured differently- to a different gait pattern. And to my limited knowledge, there was no trespassing of Malayamarutham. It was a pure bred Kalavathi..... even phrases such as dnggssnndd where one tends to pitch it at rr! CM is indeed complicated - to the point of treading on ice most times! :)