Hindustani lyrics notations

Classical Music of North India
Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Can anyone post any links/sites which have lyrics, notations for hindustani music just like the ones(many) we have for CM.
Would like also to hear whose compositions the hindustani singers sing?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Would like also to hear whose compositions the hindustani singers sing?
Interesting question. I am not really sure. HM itself does not focuss too much on pre-composed lyrical portions for the main pieces...but I am also curious if there are some common sources a lot of performers draw upon from for the small amounts of lyrics they use OR the perfomers or the guru or the garana make them up to suite the mood. In CM, compositional credits are not usually given for RTP, so may be that is similar in HM.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The HM equivalent of the CM krithi is the bandhish, if I understand correctly..and they are probably notated. The bhajans should be too.
abadri, param or Kulkarni sa'ab can elaborate.
Ravi

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have Bhatkande's sangita paddhati in 6 volumes. The basic notations for the different bandishes are given under the various rAfAs. A major portion of HM consists of alAp and tAns with the bandish playing a minor role.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

HM itself does not focuss too much on pre-composed lyrical portions for the main pieces...but I am also curious if there are some common sources a lot of performers draw upon from for the small amounts of lyrics they use OR the perfomers or the guru or the garana make them up to suite the mood.

Yep!, there must be non-lyrical compositions which beginners can practice in different ragas. That is what I am looking or googling :frown: without success.
Years ago for college function I played(voilin) a swara based HM piece along with other sitar players. I still remember parts of it. It was rag Pahadi.

Lakshman Sir,
Please, if you can, send me a couple of bandhish notations in yaman or any rag which is equivalent to CM raga. I am curious!
Thanks

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I have seen a book used by my uncle (at my home town) in Hindi.
It handles the major ragas , gives notations for the purely classical Film songs and some more details.Will upload of a page from there if it helps .I will try the chapter on Yaman if you wish.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I have seen a book used by my uncle (at my home town) in Hindi.
It handles the major ragas , gives notations for the purely classical Film songs and some more details.Will upload of a page from there if it helps .I will try the chapter on Yaman if you wish.
Thanks Coolkarni,
In Hindi is great!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

sujiram
I have recd the books.you can look forward to a few scanned pages on yaman and pahadi this weekend.

mantra

Post by mantra »

Coolkarni,
I have been playing this piano piece on repeat for sometime. It is very soothing.
Please share some more pieces like this
Thanks
Shyam

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

sujiram
I have recd the books.you can look forward to a few scanned pages on yaman and pahadi this weekend.
Thanks a lot Coolkarni!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

the piano artist is V Balsara.(He was the one who played the keyboard /accordion tunes for Raj kapoor in all his movies)
He was also a well known personality in Kolkattas Hindusthani Music circles.Doordarshan broadcast a special program on him in "THE MASTERS ' series a decade ago.
He along with Pandit Gnan Prakash Ghosh(on the Harmonuim) and Kalyani Roy on the Sitar have produced some of the most endearing tunes in Yaman, Madhuvanthi , Shyam Kalyan.Will post them.
Adnan Sami also has played a great Durga and Bagesri with zakir husain.
will try that also , slowly.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Suji Ram

Here is a set of demo tracks by subra guha for four ragas
i have also included excerpts from renderings .

If this is useful , i can repeat it for four more tracks where I have Subra Guhas tracks.

/Vidyadhar_Vyas-Kamod.mp3
Coolkarni,
Thank you very much! This is very useful for me.
Do post the other 4 when you find time.

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Kulkarniji,
Can you check if the Subhra Guha rAga introductions are commercial...In Musicindiaonline.com, there are 44 rAgas explained by her....Don't know if its commercial? Can you check? In case of any dobt, its better to delete them, since they are anyway available online for listening purposes!

(Also, I found out that from a Charsur representative that they have "lodged a complaint" against musicindiaonline.com for placing tracks from charsur releases on their webpage without their permission....)

-vrbadri

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

vrbadri
thanks.
those links are history.

mantra

Post by mantra »

Coolkarni Sir,
Can you post more of Balsara, (Madhuvanti and other raagas that you mentioned? The Yaman was too good
Thanks
Shyam