Chittaranjani

Rāga related discussions
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

nishAdAnthya janya raga of Kharaharapriya.

Is nAda thanuManisham(T) , the only composition in this raga or any new compositions are made after Thyagaraja ?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I found only one other:

Kadaikkan parttarulvai kartane-Adi-N.S.Ramasvami Iyer

arasi

Post by arasi »

Lakshman,
kartan can mean Christ also. In this song, is there any reference to Christ, or is it about God as creator??

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kaDaikkan pArttaruLvAi. rAgA: cittaranjani. Adi tALA.

P: kaDaikkaN pArttaruLvAi kartanE iDukkaN kaLaindiDuvAi viraivAi abhayam aLittennai
A: aDaikkalamE pughundEn AdipurIshA paDaittavanE shrI tripurasundari nEsA
C: uttama shAstra purANa vEdam ariyEn sattiya murai neri tavarinEnO teriyEn
shakti umA dEvi cittaranjani nEsA cennapuri vAsA shrI rAman pOTrum IshA

S.Balasubramanian.

Post by S.Balasubramanian. »

NSG IN ONE OF THE kALAIMALAR -JAYA TV progs has mentioned this Raga is the one of Sama Vedam.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is alit of songs in cittaranjani:

Bhutangalaindagi pulanagi porulagi (tvc)-Rupaka-Manikkavachakar
Eno tamadittai ishane-Adi-Shuddhananda Bharati
Kadaikkan parttarulvai kartane-Adi-N.S.Ramasvami Iyer
Nada tanumanisham shankaram namami me manasa-Adi-Tyagaraja
Smara manasa-Chapu-Ratnakara Tirtha
Tudi sheivai-Rupaka-Padmavati Ammal
Vaishnavim-Adi-Bangalore S.Mukund
Vikhyata mukhyaprana-Rupaka-R.K.Suryanarayana

arasi

Post by arasi »

Lakshman,
Padmavathi Ammal--I haven't heard of her until now. Are there any more songs of her?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the songs by Padmavati Ammal. They are in the book "Guru Kritis", published by Dwaraka, Chennai but I don't have a copy:

Bala vinayaka-Shuddhadhanyasi-Adi
Deivattul daivam tonriya deivam-Harikambhoji-Rupaka
Gana chandra shri tyagarajarin-Natakuranji-Adi
Gana isaiyin rasan banamai-Kanada-Adi
Guru bhaktiye-Begada-Adi
Guru kataksham kidaittidumo-Ramapriya-Adi
Guru padame karudu maname-Kuntalavarali-Adi
Gurunatharin kritigalai-Surati-Adi
Gurupadame-Kuntalavarali-Adi
Gururaja tilakarai kodanda-Gaurimanohari-Chapu
Guruvai tudi maname-Shankarabharana-Chapu
Iniya ganare-Balahamsa-Rupaka
Kavi bhushana-Shriranjani-Rupaka
Mei marakka sheida-Todi-Adi
Mohana ramanai-Mohana-Rupaka
Nadagana thyagaraja-Athana-Rupaka
Nan mukhan deviye-Manirangu-Adi
Ninaitta varam arule-Kambhoji-Chapu
Padu guruvai-Kedara-Rupaka
Pal ponra-Gaula-Rupaka
Paninden parashaktiye-Arabhi-Rupaka
Rama bhaktiyai-Simhendramadhyam-Chapu
Sadguru tyageshvari-Shankarabharana-Adi
Sangita daivam-Dhanyasi-Adi
Sharanam sheiden-Chakravaka-Adi
Tudi sheivai-Chittaranjani-Rupaka
Tyagaraja dhynayogam-Kannada-Rupaka
Tyagaraja guruvai-Bhushavali-Rupaka

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

I believe this raga doesn't go below Shadjam and above Nishadam. Is there any reason for this restriction? Are there any other ragas with this type of restriction?

arunk

Post by arunk »

shadjam,

nAdanAmakriya, punnAgavarALi (i think?) and kurinji (i also think?) have similar restrictions.

(my own theory) this is perhaps an remnant of the older system?

Arun

shadjam

Post by shadjam »

Thanks, Arun.

There seems to have been some discussion on nAdanAmakriyA and punnAgavarAli here:

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=57257

Why is that ArOhanam of punnAgavarAli starts from nishAdam whereas nAdanAmakriya starts with shadjam? I thought for chittaranjai it’s between shadjam and nishAdam.

I am not sure whether kurinji is in this category even though it is sung in madhyama sruti. As per the following website it is a dhaivatandya raga. Can someone clarify what this means? Does it mean that the swarams should between shadjam and dhaivatam. It is also interesting to note that according to Dikshitar this is a sampoorna raga.

http://www.indiamusicinfo.com/raga_today/kurinji.html

arunk

Post by arunk »

shadjam wrote:Why is that ArOhanam of punnAgavarAli starts from nishAdam whereas nAdanAmakriya starts with shadjam?
Not 100% sure but could be that n` s (i.e. ascending from n to s) is disallowed in nAdanAmakriya (?not sure if it is true for nAdanAmakriya?)

(disclaimer: I dont know that kurinji is so. I am just trying to offer a possible reconciliation between dhaivatanya and sampoorna)
T think the term dhaivatantya means restricted to dhaivata in the madya stayi - and hence you cannot go higher than d to madya-ni and tara shadjam. But in mandra stayi perhaps one can go up from d to n to (madya) sa. Hence sampoorna.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

arunk wrote:
shadjam wrote:Why is that ArOhanam of punnAgavarAli starts from nishAdam whereas nAdanAmakriya starts with shadjam?
Not 100% sure but could be that n` s (i.e. ascending from n to s) is disallowed in nAdanAmakriya (?not sure if it is true for nAdanAmakriya?)
Scratch that as it doesnt make any sense :)

Arun

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Is Chittaranjani also known as Siddharanjani?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DqU_yFI8w

vijay

Post by vijay »

Ragam-talam - I think that's a "tamilization"!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Chittaranjani, like kurinji, navaroj, punnagavarali and nadanamakriya is not a Shadja graha raga. these are nishadantya, nishadantya, panchamantya, nishadantya and ni'antya respectively. Janjoti is a madhyamantya raga. There is supposed to be a certain Kapi-jingla, belonging to the same category. these are vestiges of an older system of music which had different 'gramas'. sadja, madhyama and pancama grama..
Another interesting point about Chittaranjani is that some schools,(R.Vedavalli et al) sing it as a Jhankaradhwani janyam,i.e, with shuddha dha and ni and not as a kharaharapriya janyam.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Thanks, Vijay, for the clarification.
Although I would have thought Tamilization of Chittaranjani would have been Sittaranjani, not Siddharanjani. Oh well...

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Can anybody forget the renderimg of nadatanumanisam by GANAKALADHARA MADURAI MANI IYER in almost all his performances. chittaranjani was on everybody's lips , thanks to the incomparable legend MMI. when somebody sings the same now , we say ,well you must hear MMI render it. some songs get etched in one's mind likewise gobilalitha

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sentimental memory lane! I like to listen its rendition from present artists.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I believe this raga doesn't go below Shadjam and above Nishadam. Is there any reason for this restriction? Are there any other ragas with this type of restriction?
It does go below Sadjamam. I have a TVS recording of nAda tanumaniSam where in svarams he sings NSRGMPD.

But it doesn't go above N; that's why it's called a niSAdantya rAgam.

---
Not going above N is svaram-wise, the N is oscillated to go above kaishiki niSAdam also.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 03 Nov 2008, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

SrinathK

Re: Chittaranjani

Post by SrinathK »

This thread should be for what chittaranjani is today - a nishAdAntya janya of kharaharapriya. Now personally I would just call this as mini rAgAs or rAginis - because of their scope restriction (a product of an older system?)

nAda tanum anisham of Thyagaraja is the most well known example. So here is a rendition by Smt. MS Subbulakshmi with a shlOka preceding it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=734fDjHgLwE

But you wonder why you really need this rAgA when kharaharapriya is available -- well, that's because this chittaranjani is not the original rAgA that went by this name. And for that, I must absolutely open another thread, because it is very different.

PS : And for heaven's sake, the reader is advised to stop calling this song as "nAda tanu manishnam" from this moment henceforth! :lol: