[email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Ranganayaki

#26 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 06:15

rajeshnat wrote:
15 May 2019, 12:31
As stated in post #9 of mine, hear the rendition of
IthayakoyilthanilE - kalyanavasantham -vaigal gnanaskandan

Such lucid words like kavignar vaali and tune like illayaraja blended and created by vaigal gnanaskandan.Certainly suryaprakash has also added bit more kalyanavasantham polish ,kind of semmangudish extra polish . What the hell was I doing in 1980's and 1990's in chennai, maybe wiling my time with vAnayurNtha sOlayile from the film :lol: ithayakovil . Noone told me about vaigal gnanaskandan then :| . In one hearing then in this live concert, I got 75 percent words in one go , folks like rshankar and rajani will get 100 percent in one go.
I tried to catch the words. Got most of them, but certainly not in one go. I used video from the link I provided to see the words, and I was able to decipher “malgi” which I checked on the net too for accuracy and found another occurrence of “kanneer malgi..” so it’s with some hard work, unlike rshankar or Rajani, that I have this.

Ithayakoil thanile, Muruga un INaiyadi paninthene

Uthayamaagum intha gnanathile endrum
Uruthiyaay irukka ni arulvaaye

Yethaiyethaiyo yeNNi yengitthavitthen
Ingum angumaay alainthu tirindappin
Nitham nitham unnaye ninainthu kaNNeer malgi
Sadhamilla vaazhvil un padham thuNai endrae

I just could not make out most of the words in the last line and Sree Vidhya, the daughter of my guru helped me out with it. Pl correct, if there are any errors in the other lines.
1 x

Ranganayaki

#27 Re: Ragasudha R Suryaprakash May4th 2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 06:26

rshankar wrote:
06 May 2019, 18:18
Lest we forget, Sri Gnanaskandan was Ranganayaki’s guru as well (in addition to Smt. Gayathri, and Sri Gurucharan’s)....
Thanks for the mention, Ravi 🙂. Sorry I forgot to say so earlier. 🙂
0 x

rajeshnat

#28 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 17 May 2019, 08:59

i struggled to get that word sadamilla in sadamilla vaazhvil. Having studied college in a hostel i know sAdam illA vaazhvil but what does,sadamilla mean .i have no clue perhaps ravi knows.

also in that song sp adds,some words like paavai kalyani paa vai kayani right after gnanaskandane etc that explanation will also help me ravi
0 x

Ranganayaki

#29 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 09:32

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:59
i struggled to get that word sadamilla in sadamilla vaazhvil. Having studied college in a hostel i know sAdam illA vaazhvil but what does,sadamilla mean .i have no clue perhaps ravi knows.
It is sadam illa, two words. I thought the two can be combined like sandhi in Sanskrit, especially because that’s how it sounds in the song . If that’s incorrect I’m sorry.
0 x

Ranganayaki

#30 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 09:47

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 08:59
i know sAdam illA vaazhvil

also in that song sp adds,some words like paavai kalyani paa vai kayani right after gnanaskandane etc that explanation will also help me ravi

As I said, I too struggled with the whole line and Sree Vidya gave it to me. She said sadam means 100, like “shatam” in Sanskrit. “Sadam illa vazhvu” would mean “this uncertain and rather short life.”

My guess about Kalyani: it refers to the Divine Mother. Because he says “Paavai Kalyani” and then “puthalvane,” meaning the son of (Lady?) Kalyani .

I don’t think the split of Paavai into paa and vai is significant. It’s just the singing (I think)
0 x

rajeshnat

#31 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 17 May 2019, 14:24

Ranganayaki
I reheard it now . Two corrections is what i have observed over what you have written .Last line is very tough for me , i am assuming you got it right. Highlighted what you wrote in italics and mine in bold . .

ithyakoil thanilE murugA uN INaiyadi (BhajithenE)

Uthayamaagum intha gnanathile endrum
Uruthiyaay irukka ni arulvaaye

Yethaiyethaiyo yeNNi (yengithavikiNrEn)

Gnanaskandan sir has got yedukai monai and rhymes so right all within the tala meter like yengithavikinrEn and Tirindappin etc Wow wOw woW
Last edited by rajeshnat on 17 May 2019, 15:20, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

rajeshnat

#32 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 17 May 2019, 14:58

The photo has sreevidhya(daughther of gnanaskandan sir) in the left with the performing artists. You can also see the portrait of gnanaskandan sir in the right.Behind is sekhar the Hero of ragasudha who is an ace sound engineer

0 x

rajeshnat

#33 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 17 May 2019, 15:01

The vote of thanks was so touching and moving , tanglish speech by daughter of Gnanaskandan-SreeVidhya. Not an iota of bragging about her father but still appreciating from the bottom of her heart her father. Best wishes to her vaigal foundation, let us see as she said if she gets 4 great artists :!: . Vishruthi Girish is not counted there . I am only uploading the vote of thanks by Sreevidhya with young vishruthi girish handing over as MC. The previous speech by H Raja, I have not uploaded., I will see that after May 24- if you get the drift there. :lol: The speech is just 5 mins.

http://bit.ly/2w4A8K0

I hope both picture and audio recording is ok for sreevidhya , if not do let me know will do the needful. Personally feel the speech is worth emulating by future family patrons who are going to conduct remembrance day.
0 x

Ranganayaki

#34 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 19:39

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 14:24
Ranganayaki
I reheard it now ...Last line is very tough for me , i am assuming you got it right.
No need to assume any more, I clearly said I got it from Sri Gnanaskandan’s daughter.
Two corrections is what i have observed over what you have written. Highlighted what you wrote in italics and mine in bold . .
ithyakoil thanilE murugA uN INaiyadi (BhajithenE)

Yethaiyethaiyo yeNNi (yengithavikiNrEn)
Thanks Rajesh.. I guess you are right about “bhajitthene.” I mis-heard that both in Suryaprakash’s singing and in Abhishek Krishna’s video. It’s the power of the mind, to distort the senses! I expected “adi paNinthene” and that’s what I heard!

In Suryaprakash’s version, it is clearly sung as thavikkindren, but in Abhishek Krishna’s video, he sings it as “thavitthen.” If you listen to that video, you can see that the “vi” in thavitthen is lengthened to fit the word in the line. I considered both and I preferred the past tense of Abhishek Krishna. It is an interpretation of the poetry that I preferred. The suffering he describes is in the past, as I see it. After suffering deeply and alanjifying and searching with all sorts of goals in mind, he now only has tears pooling in yearning for Muruga, and he implores him, in this uncertain and ephemerous life, to bless him to stay steadfastly true to the dawning realization that his heart is a sacred temple where he worships the lord.

“Bhajitthene” is also past tense, but I interpret is as (I have been worshipping) (or I worship) because that is the state of his heart now, not the suffering caused by ignorant worldly pursuits. So that’s why I prefer Abhishek Krishna’s “thavitthen” rather than the “Thavikkindren” of Suryaprakash’s.

To make it more clear: He has already come into this great revelation in his heart. So the suffering from worldly pursuits cannot also continue. They are a thing of the past. Now any suffering and tears would only be for the grace of his beloved lord.

So I think Thavitthen is correct because it describes a suffering in ignorance, not the new suffering out of love, Bhakti, for the beloved lord,. I certainly prefer this view. Would love it if Arasi or Ravi and others who enjoy poetry weighed in to confirm or correct my interpretation of the word and the tense.

To make it easier for anyone reading, here is the link (again) to Abhishek Krishna’s video. Do comment on it, he seems to be singing very well. Is he known? We have never seen a mention of him as Sri Gnanaskandan’s shishya.

https://youtu.be/UQcMrD64fm4
0 x

Ranganayaki

#35 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 19:53

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 14:24

Gnanaskandan sir has got yedukai monai and rhymes so right all within the tala meter like yengithavikinrEn and Tirindappin etc Wow wOw woW
Yes, it is lovely, I felt that way too 🙂, though with Tirinthappin.
0 x

Ranganayaki

#36 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 17 May 2019, 20:06

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 15:01
The vote of thanks was so touching and moving , tanglish speech by daughter of Gnanaskandan-SreeVidhya.

Personally feel the speech is worth emulating by future family patrons who are going to conduct remembrance day.
Yes a wonderful, crisp speech, very much to the point and focusing on things that are truly important to the world of music and not on personalities.

The best thing about it is that it was done before the concert, rather than the end, or even worse, in the middle, leaving all the attention to the artists, and allowing people to go home with the music in their minds.

Thanks for this recording, Rajesh.
0 x

rajeshnat

#37 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 17 May 2019, 21:21

Ranganayaki wrote:
17 May 2019, 09:47
My guess about Kalyani: it refers to the Divine Mother. Because he says “Paavai Kalyani” and then “puthalvane,” meaning the son of (Lady?) Kalyani .

I don’t think the split of Paavai into paa and vai is significant. It’s just the singing (I think)
Ranganayaki
The emphasis on paa vai gal yani could have been a ploy to bring in vai gal as an alliteration .
0 x

rshankar

#38 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rshankar » 18 May 2019, 00:03

This is what I hear (after listening to both Sri SP and Abhishek Krishna's versions - they are concordant)

pallavi
idayakOil tanilE murugA un iNaiyaDi bhajitEnE

anupallavi
udayamAgum inda gnyAnatilE
enRum urudiyAy irukka ni aruLvAyE (idaya kOil tanilE...)

caraNam
yedaiyedaiyO eNNi EngittavikinREn
ingum angumAy alaindu tirindappin
nitam nitam unnayE ninaindu kaNNIr malgi
sadamillA vAzhvil un padam tuNaiyE enRu (idaya kOil tanilE...)

sadam = permanent, sadamillA = ephemeral/transient
0 x

rshankar

#39 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rshankar » 18 May 2019, 00:23

Sri SP's additions
murugA
kandA
vaDivElA
veTRi vadivEla
Sakti vaDivElA
gnyAna pudalvanE
gnyAnaskandanE = the knowledgeable murugA
pAvai kalyANi pudalvanE = son (pudalvanE) of the auspicious (kalyANi) lady (pAvai), pArvati
muruganE
0 x

rshankar

#40 Re: Sury[email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rshankar » 18 May 2019, 00:28

Here's what I hear from the link to the kalyANi kRti - the words are clear, except for the one in red which they mumble. If anyone hears it clearly, please do correct.

pallavi
vaigalum kANa vENDum unaiyE
mailai vAzh kaRpagamE, en tAyE

anupallavi
nAmagaL pUmagaL nALum tudi seyya
nAthan kapAlISan nADiDum nAyakiyE (vaigalum...)

caraNam
nanmaiyE seivAi nADivandOrkellAm
innal tanai agaTRi inbamE nalguvAi
minnal koDiyE unai maNNagattOr vaNangi
eNNaTRa nalam peRa yen mana dEviyE (vaigalum kANa...)

vaigalum = daily - a wonderful way to include the name of his village in the very first word of a beautiful kRti. Of course, any kRti on kaRpagAmbAL is bound to get my vote... :)
0 x

Ranganayaki

#41 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 18 May 2019, 02:43

rshankar wrote:
18 May 2019, 00:03
This is what I hear (after listening to both Sri SP and Abhishek Krishna's versions - they are concordant)
Really? I feel so surprised! Of course I will take your word for it!

Sadam= permanent, sadamillA = ephemeral/transient
Yes, I think this is what Sree Vidhya explained to me and I relayed here.

Thank you, Ravi!
0 x

Ranganayaki

#42 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by Ranganayaki » 18 May 2019, 02:55

rajeshnat wrote:
17 May 2019, 21:21

Ranganayaki
The emphasis on paa vai gal yani could have been a ploy to bring in vai gal as an alliteration .
Yes, I was referring to the meaning, I thought you were referring to the split meaning-wise. You should have offered that yourself in your post 🙂. These details are up to each listener to be sensitive to the play on the words, and it’s wonderful that you were. I was not 🙂. But I don’t know if it adds enjoyment to me, personally. I didn’t particularly enjoy the paavai kalyani part. Though all the other words including Gnanaskandane were very nicely done. It sounded like a completely natural outpouring - up to “paavai kalyani.”
0 x

rajeshnat

#43 Re: [email protected] gnanaskandan day (ragasudha) on May 04th,2019

Post by rajeshnat » 18 May 2019, 13:41

Ranganayaki wrote:
18 May 2019, 02:55
These details are up to each listener to be sensitive to the play on the words, and it’s wonderful that you were. I was not 🙂.
Ranganayaki,
Suryaprakash sang paavai kalyani then he split the paa vai gal as an immediate followup. More than the split for me then the substitution of kal by gal was very aurally distinct and hence I got it . If overall there was spur of the moment viruthamish phrases this paa vai gal preceded by paavai kalyani was musically nice to me . I am sure you agree only in live concerts there is this kind of attention which will not come in recordings.

On a side note atleast 10 to 12 years back in a partha swami sabha concert there is an amazing ragamaliga of many ragas stitched with different names of krishna like madhava kesava muralidhara kanna madhusudhana . For each of these names there was a raga and he ended that day with inru varuvAnO in kalyanavasantham . That concert arasi attended i did not make it . When she put a post here, there was one elderly person who had the enthusiasm to put lot of december live concerts then . The blog was aravindsdad.blogspot.com . I downloaded that then and that was too special with megaragamaliga viruththam. These special spur of the moment is some thing I adore and with vai gal there was a spur within a spur .

A point that i forgot to put , gnanaskandan birthday and deathday was just a day apart.That was announced also in the speech . Would be nice if sree vidhya also focusses on getting may be an exclusive gnanaskandan composition day concert . To start with disciples of gnanaskandan can collate all the available songs of composer Gnanaskandan and publish into karnatik.com taking the help of Lji.
0 x