Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

#1 Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by shankarank » 08 May 2019, 07:47

Sanjay's Austin Concert - Song List

1 - Sami Daya chooda -kedara gowla
2 - swami natha pari - naatai - dikshitar
3 - Pada Vendume - Hamsanadham
4 - Manai olagado govindo - aboghi or sri ranjani - purandara dasar
5 - O Rangasayee - kamboji
6 - Soundara rajam aasraye - brindavana saranga - dikshitar
7 - Aarakum adangatha neeli - begada - HKM bagavathar
8 - RTP - keeravani - maal maruga shamukha guha muruga mayil yeri vandennai kaa - Garudadvani, Kanada, Sindhu bhairavi ragamalika
9 - Bettatha melondu manaya madi mriugankaligu -
10 - Viruttham - Saveri , Mohanam, Abheri, Nattakurunji, Kapi -
kana vendamo ayyanai - sri ranjani - papanasam sivan
11 - Thillana - Danashree - abheri

Got this as text message from a relative of mine who also said he reads this forum periodically. He claimed he is not knowledgeable to post, I thought I would post it. He described the concert as electrifying and he is a fan for many years.

The list is remarkable for its omissions as much as it is for it's inclusions.

Any people from Austin welcome to fill in the missing information.
1 x

rajeshnat

#2 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rajeshnat » 08 May 2019, 08:39

shankarank
thank u dallas rasika. if u can let us know how long was austin crt thru ur relative. that would be great.

Relative of Shankarank who reads but does not write in this forum,
This list is purely my joy with keeravani rtp being the main course with o rangasayee too... also a soundararajam asraye in brindavava saranga to sandwich between the two biggies. i only wish i was in austin. Please join by writing in the forum. You only need a mandatory keyboard to write into the forum, knowledge Definitely not needed that too you being a relative of shankarank :P

All in USA,
As of now raga . amrutha venkatesh ,vijaysiva, sanjay and saketaraman are performing and the series is ongoing in the US . They all are review worthy than most chennai crts. kudos to austin, dallas, sanjose, auckland boston and ny/n etcj. i envy you all.
0 x

arasi

#3 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 08 May 2019, 20:54

Rajesh,
I would substitute longing for envy. Even for those of us here, we have to be happy with a single concert of an artiste like Sanjay. What's worse, missing one the next day at the same venue. This time, I wanted to listen to RaGA too, but how many rides can I possibly get to be there? As for those who can and would drive hundreds of miles, they have umpteen other things to take care of in life. It's the same everywhere. We depend on others to take us, we the elderly--bless Sundara Rajan, an exception to the rule! It's the same in India. Ranjani malavi (Raman), as keen as he is for live music, leaves at nine in order to be home at a reasonable hour and also to cope with the Bengaluru traffic. I would think the ChennaivAsis, those who live within walking distance to several sabhAs take it for granted and don't bother much to be at a concert as we do, after years and years of not hearing the music we love for months on end--that too, if we were up to driving long distances to go to a concert...Now? We are on clover! At least, the younger set :)
Last edited by arasi on 08 May 2019, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

sreebeecane

#4 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by sreebeecane » 08 May 2019, 21:12

I was at the concert. It was an outstanding concert.

The concert started at 6 PM and ended at around 9:20 PM.

ManeyoLagaaDo govinda was in Abhogi.

Kambhoji was almost for an hour. Varadarajan was just impeccable in his response to the kalpanaswarams. The swarams for Hamsanadam was excellent!

The viruttam was this verse from Natarajar Patthu.

mAnIDa mazhuvADa matiyADa punalADa mangai shivakAmi pADa
mAlADa nUlADa maraiyADa tiraiyADa mirai tanda brahma muni ADa
kOnADa vAnulagu kuTTa mELam ADa kunjara mukhattAnADa
kuNDalam iraNDADa daNDai puliyuDaiyADa kuzhandai murugEsanADa
jnAnasambandarODu indirar padineTTu muni aTTa bAlakanumADa
nurai tumbai arugADa nandi vAhanamADa nATTiya peNgaLADa
vinaiyODu unai pADa enai nADi iduvELai virudODu ADi varuvAi
IshanE shivakAmi nEshanE enai Inra tilla vAzh naTarAjanE
0 x

arasi

#5 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 08 May 2019, 21:48

Sorry, a half-typed post which I have deleted.
Last edited by arasi on 08 May 2019, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

arasi

#6 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 08 May 2019, 21:50

Thanks, Sreebecane.
When a friend in India asked how the Boston concert was, I said, not the best, but 'outstanding', the same as you did! May be because I missed that kambhOdi :). The best is yet to come, of course. That we see--a sign of an artiste who keeps making his music better and better. Here is a charged singer with ideal accompanists, they together put their minds only to make music which pleases them and in turn please us, the listeners. Until the concert is over, this involvement and eagerness in creating three hours or more of musical joy is the key to all this. There is no high-handed 'we know more than you rasikAs lot know', or, 'let's only perform for those who prefer popular songs'. There is something for everyone. No thinking outside of the performance when they are on stage. It's just music which occupies them. Sanjay to me, is a phenomenon in CM world. Oh no, not a shooting star, but someone who worked and is working hard in making his music better, and what's more, inspiring many new musicians of the future.
I am awed by the intelligence and imagination which goes into his music. The MD kritis for their pATAntaram, the bhAva element which pervades the lyrics in any language that he sings. Above all, the totality of his commitment in singing a concert...I am glad I am living to hear someone like him in my life time. There were so many greats as I was growing up, but I see aspects of their greatness ingrained in him and his feeding on them. Success doesn't have to be frowned upon when so much work, love of labor has gone into it!
0 x

rshankar

#7 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rshankar » 09 May 2019, 00:05

sreebeecane wrote:
08 May 2019, 21:12
mAnIDa
mirai

daNDai
tilla
mAnADa
maRai
taNDai
tillai
0 x

arasi

#8 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 09 May 2019, 05:27

Ravi, thanks. I just went for the very first word before non-tamizhs and tamizhs (because it's an old verse) might get the wrong word as the beginning of the hymn.
0 x

shankarank

#9 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by shankarank » 09 May 2019, 05:49

Talk about driving to a concert, this relative was visiting Austin from Chicago that weekend and his Sister was visiting from Mumbai for some family celebration, and they both made it to the concert. I guess they are in the league of Rajeshnat, except may be for being able to write a review!
0 x

rajeshnat

#10 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rajeshnat » 09 May 2019, 06:10

arasi wrote:
08 May 2019, 21:50
When a friend in India asked how the Boston concert was, I said, not the best, but 'outstanding', the same as you did! May be because I missed that kambhOdi :).
Arasi,
That is so very nice to only see. The pradhana rasika of sanjay is you and your husband even before many have come in the last 10 years or so. Why dont you open a new thread sanjay [email protected] on May 2019 and share your boston experiences. We want to hear see what you heard
0 x

arasi

#11 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 09 May 2019, 08:11

Rajesh,
I wrote about the concert on reaching home, and yes, scold me for that--I did not put it on notepad, just typed it, and as I was going to post it, it disappeared :(
The concert still reverberates in me, but I fail to recapture names of this rAgA or that at times. So, I decided to jot down what I knew on a 'rea'l notepad.
It was in the year 2000 that we heard Sanjay for the first time, and he sang a bhairavi main, a rAgA for which I have cultivated a lot of liking after all these years. So, no more kidding me of the mighty rAgA notbeing my favorite! We knew that day that here was someone whom we had to listen to, time after time. Of late, K doesn't attend concerts--can''t sit through them. My son took me to the concert at Andover, thanks to him. He thought it was a great concert.
Of course, knowing me, you wouldn't expect me to keep a log in a concert for the time duration of rAgAs, neravals and swarAs. The best thing for me is what the music, wherever it comes from, makes me joyful and that it is something which enriches me. Let's say, there is something for me there to take home with :)
0 x

rajeshnat

#12 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rajeshnat » 09 May 2019, 08:51

arasi wrote:
09 May 2019, 08:11
Rajesh,
I wrote about the concert on reaching home, and yes, scold me for that--I did not put it on notepad, just typed it, and as I was going to post it, it disappeared :(
The concert still reverberates in me, but I fail to recapture names of this rAgA or that at times. So, I decided to jot down what I knew on a 'rea'l notepad.

them. My son took me to the concert at Andover, thanks to him. He thought it was a great concert.
Arasi
So your real son took you to your musical son concert but Oh NO, you did not save it (how many times do I have to say). As you wake up tomorrow ,open notepad, save a file by some name and retype again please, keep ALSO SAVING Notepad . I want you to still write again as it is a 4 Hour plus concert, it is a treasure for sure only when the reverberation is shared . Looking forward for a new post of yours Sanjay [email protected] on May __ 2019
0 x

arasi

#13 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by arasi » 09 May 2019, 09:25

Sounds like an ultimatum, Rajesh!
0 x

rajeshnat

#14 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rajeshnat » 09 May 2019, 09:44

arasi wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:25
Sounds like an ultimatum, Rajesh!
Definitely not an ultimatum . Please do write , advance thanks
0 x

sreebeecane

#15 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by sreebeecane » 10 May 2019, 22:22

rshankar wrote:
09 May 2019, 00:05
sreebeecane wrote:
08 May 2019, 21:12
mAnIDa
mirai

daNDai
tilla
mAnADa
maRai
taNDai
tillai
Thank you for the corrections. I just copied the verse from this page: viewtopic.php?t=14833

I would appreciate if you also explain the meaning of the verse.
0 x

rshankar

#16 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rshankar » 14 May 2019, 01:50

sreebeecane wrote:
10 May 2019, 22:22
I would appreciate if you also explain the meaning of the verse.
Here is my attempt. This is one of the verses from the naTarAjar pattu (10 verses).

mAnADa mazhuvADa madiyADa punalADa mangai SivakAmi ADa
mAlADa nUlADa maRaiyADa tiraiyADa maRai tanda brahman ADa
kOnADa vAnulagukUTTamELam ADa kunjara mugattAnADa
kuNDalam iraNDADa taNDai puliyuDaiyADa kuzhandai murugEsanADa
jnAnasambandarODu indirar padineTTu muni aTTa pAlakarumADa
narai tumbai aRugADa nandi vAhanamADa nATTiya peNgaLADa
vinaiyODu unai pADa enai nADi iduvELai virudODu ADi varuvAi
ISanE SivakAmi nEsanE enai InRa tillai vAzh naTarAj(s)anE

This verse describes the various people and things that sway/dance as the Lord of Dramaturges (naTarAjA/kUttarbirAn) performs his cosmic dance in cidambaram/tillai.

The poet says, (as you dance):

The deer (mAn) you hold dances (ADa), the axe (mazhu) you hold sways (ADa), the moon (madi) and the river/gangA (punal) you bear on your locks move (ADa), as well as the lady (mangai) SivakAmi (who is your left half)!

vishNu (mAl) dances, the (sacred) thread (nUl) on your torso sways, the vEdas (maRai) dance along, the curtain (tirai) [1, 2] does too, and so does brahmA (brahman), who gave (tanda) us the vEdas (maRai)!

Crowns/kings (kOn) dance, hordes (kUTTamellAm) of celestials (vAnulagu) dance, as does the elephant-faced (kunjaramukh(g)attan) gaNESa!

Both (iraNDu) your earrings (kuNDalam) sway, your anklets (taNDai) and your tiger-skin (puli) garments (uDai) move, and the young child (kuzhandai), muruga (murugEsan) dances along!

Along with (ODu) Saint gyAnasambandar, indra, the 18 (padineTTu) sages (muni) [3], and the 8 (aTTa) (dik)pAlakar dance along!

The gray hair (narai) [4], the tumbai flowers, and the blades of grass (aRugu) worn on your head dance, as does your vehicle/mount (vAhanam), nandi, and so do the dancing (nATTiya) girls (peNgaL)!

The last two lines convey the poet’s ardent prayer. He says, Oh Lord (ISanE), the beloved (nEsanE) of SivakAmi, the one who gave birth to (InRa) me (enai), Oh naTarAja who resides (vAzh) in cidambaram (tillai), this (idu) is the time (vELai), as I sing (pADa) your (unai) praises in deed and thought (vinaiyODu), for you to seek (nADi) me (enai) out, and come (varuvAi) dancing (ADi) bearing (ODu) a trophy/gift/boon (virudu).

FOOTNOTES
[1] Curtain of ignorance perhaps?
[2] If this is tiRai as it is spelled out in some versions, it will mean a tribute; again not sure how it fits in
[3] No idea who the 18 munis are
[4] If it is naRai, then it means nectar (from the moon – sudhAkar)
0 x

Jigyaasa

#17 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by Jigyaasa » 17 May 2019, 11:21

rshankar wrote:
14 May 2019, 01:50

Here is my attempt. This is one of the verses from the naTarAjar pattu (10 verses).
jnAnasambandarODu indirar padineTTu muni aTTa pAlakarumADa
Along with (ODu) Saint gyAnasambandar, indra, the 18 (padineTTu) sages (muni) [3], and the 8 (aTTa) (dik)pAlakar dance along!

FOOTNOTES
[3] No idea who the 18 munis are
I found the below in a thread where rshankar posted the meaning and raised the same question back in 2008! :D
V_ANNASAMY wrote:
11 Feb 2008, 10:51
Manu, Parasara, Yajnavalkya, Gautama, Harita, Yama, Visnu, Sankha, Likhita, Brhaspati, Daksa, Angiras, Pracetas, Samvarta, Acanas, Atri, Apastamba and Satatapa are the eighteen sages who mastered the Vedas with their superhuman power and derived the Smrtis from them. Their works are known after them like Manusmrti, Yajnavalkya-smrti, Parasara-Smrti and so on, and they contain all that we need to know about all the dharmas to be adhered to and all the rituals to be performed during our entire life.

- Source kamakoti.org -
1 x

rshankar

#18 Re: Sanjay Subramhanyan, S Varadarajan, Neyveli B Venkatesh - @Austin April 20, 2019 - Song list

Post by rshankar » 17 May 2019, 23:12

Thank you! I should have searched! :)
0 x