Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.

hnbhagavan

#2 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by hnbhagavan » 14 May 2019, 12:44

r SHERTALAI RENGANATHA SARMA
Sahasraa CMANA May 5, 2019- HINDU TEMPLE DELAWARE (US) REVIEW BY BALASUBRAMANYAM GURUMURTHY

Dr Sharmaji has been very magnanimous in posting in YouTube, his very best concert in recent times. There are so many concerts we attend, but only a few we carry home and obviously they remain a great experience in our remaining life. The above concert is one in that category. People who have listend will agree that what I have mentioned is no hyperbole.

Dr Sharmaji is blessed with a sonorous voice. He has evolved a unique style that showcases the core values of Carnatic music. ‘Sruthi Sudha’ and ‘Sahithya Sudha’ are his pièce de résistance. He has endeared himself to his Rasikas with his gentelmanly disposition.

On the stage was an exquisite ensemble of artists.
• Dr Shertallay Renganatha Sarma (Vocal)
• Vidwan Shri RK Shriram Kumar (Violin)
• Vidwan Tanjavoor Murugaboopathi (Mridangam)

Obviously, the concert can be expected to be of High Caliber

The Concert started with a refresing BEGADA Varnam, “Inthachala” composed by Veenai Kuppier. Raga alapana, Pallavi, Mukthayi swarams, Charanam and Chitta swarams could by relished in the identifiyable order. The violin returns by Shri RK Shriram Kumar was supuerb. Sharmaji has brilliantly essayed the raga BEGADA in all its in nuances.

This was followed by a NATTAI raga kriti of Shri Nilakanta Sivam, “siddhi aruL shiva shakti bAlakanE cinmayAnanda”. This kriti is in praise of Mukkuruni Vinayaka, in Madurai Meenakshi Amman Temple. It appears this beautiful song itself has been Popularised by Dr Renganatha Sharma as can be discerned by listening to his various concerts.

The Composition, “Marubalka” by saint Thyagaraja in raga SRIRANJANI, is relatively a brief kriti. Singing this with excellent pacing and brilliant iteration does make this unique and enjoyable. Sharmaji’s rendering was lively and ofcourse had the flavour of the doyen Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer.

Raga KALYANI and THODI give great scope for detailed sancharas over all the octaves.
The ensuing Kriti of Shri Subbaraya Sastri, “Ninnuvina Gathigana” in Raga KALYANI has been rendered by the Virtuosos in a highly splendid improvisation, that moved the Rasikas. The incredible alapana by Sharmaji was followed by a perfect shadowing by Vidwan Shriramkumar. The Neraval was on the phase “vinuta palinivi nivanucu nevini sada” from the Anupallavi. The Kalpanaswaras were rendered with brilliant ingenuity.

A Dikshitar’s kriti, “Balakambikayai Namaste” in raga NATTAIKURINJI followed. This is in praise of the Ambal in the Vaitheeswaran Koil. This kriti has two Madyamakalams. One from Anupallavi, “Bala Candra Sevitayai………” and from Charanam, “Natakuranji Raga Priyananda-karyai….”. Sharmaji very meticulously rendered the chowka kalam and madyama kalams.

The Crown Jewel of this Concert is in Raga THODI. He rendered the Dikshitar’s Kriti, “Kamalambike Asrita Kalpa Latike”. This is the Dhyana Kriti from the Kamalamba Navavarnams.
An Amazing Raga alapana by Sharmaji was absolutely mesmerising. The Violin accompaniment by Shriramkumar, added excellence. The diligent rendering of the Sahityams with the Madyamakalam phrase, “sakale Guruguha karane” was awesome. He rendered the Neraval in the charanam phrase, “Viyadadi bhuta kirane vinoda carane arune”. Here the phrase, “vinoda carane” is apparently referring to the yogic posture of Goddess Kamalamba.

Thani avarthanam by Shri Thanjavur Muruga Bhoopathy and the soft, pleasant and innovative korvais added a fineness to the concert.

Dr Sharma rendered a virutham (Pasuram) in the ragam MAND, “chediyaya valvinaigal theerkum thiumale, Nediyane Venkatava Nin koyilin vasal….”. This was followed by a composition of Periyaswamy Thooran, “Muralidhara govinda”.

Next was an excellent KHAMAS Javali “marubAri tALanEnurA” composed by Shri Dharmapuri Subbaraya Iyer.

He rendered a prominent kriti of Muthuswamy Dikshitar, “Rama Rama Kali Kalusha” in raga RAMKALI. This is one of the Hindustani Ragas introduced to Carnatic music by Dikshitar. This is rendered in the Dhrupad style (prevalent in Hindustani).

In conclusion he rendered the Maharaja Swati Tirunal’s Padam, “Aliveni Endhu Chaivu” in raga KURINJI.

The Finale was a Tillana in raga DESH, “tanjam nin padam dayala, ini anjel enru adaravodu arulvai” composed by Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman sir.

A BRILLIANT CONCERT BY Dr. RENGANATHA SHARMA, AND EVERY RASIKA MUST LISTEN. I THANK Dr SHARMAJI’S MAGNONIMITY IN UPLOADING THIS IN YOUTUBE SO THAT IT IS AVAILABLE TO RASIKAS ALL OVER THE WORLD,
Image may cnontain: 1 perso
2 x

arasi

#3 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by arasi » 14 May 2019, 21:50

hnbhagwan,
Thanks for a detailed review from afar (I am assuming, Karnataka) about this concert that happened in Delaware. How times have changed! If someone brought us a tape from India of a live concert in the sixties, how exciting it used to be--not a record but a full length concert! Now, with the video too, a long distance review is fine. You are a regular concert-goer in Bengaluru, and this is perhaps the first time that I have seen you initiate and write a detailed review .It's welcome more so because Sherthalai Sarma's Cleveland concert was good, but not as good as the concerts I have heard of his.
0 x

arasi

#4 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by arasi » 15 May 2019, 07:58

Ah, then, thanks to Balasubramanian for his review. I didn't see his name at first, which made me think it was your review...
0 x

hnbhagavan

#5 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by hnbhagavan » 15 May 2019, 10:03

I have re posted from Balasubramanyam's review in Face book.Even though i do attend concerts I cannot post such a erudite review like Balasubramanian.
I only wanted Rasikas to enjoy the beautiful concert.
0 x

CRama

#6 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by CRama » 15 May 2019, 11:34

Heard the entire concert at one go. A very engaging one that is. Balsubramaniam has brought out the nuances of the concert approprirately. Kalyani and Thodi in one concert- both elaborately. And fine selection of songs- Ninnu vina gathigana and Kamalambike. Astounding manodhrarmam and all pervasive sowkhyam. Thanks to the organisers for uploading the concert.
0 x

SFoundation/SF

#7 Re: Concert by K N renganatha sarma in USA

Post by SFoundation/SF » 18 May 2019, 18:23

Thanks for the nice review. Artists permitting Sahasraa Foundation will load full concerts in the future as well.
0 x