Need the composer and meaning-nandakumaranai nadiduvai

Classical Dance forms & related music
laya2

Need the composer and meaning-nandakumaranai nadiduvai

Post by laya2 »

Hi

I am trying to find the composer and the lyrics and meaning of this song "Nandakumaranai Nadiduvai Nenjae". This is in Ragam - Ragamalika and Talam: Adhi

Thank you.

Lakshman

Re: Need the composer and meaning-nandakumaranai nadiduvai

Post by Lakshman »

nandakumAranai nADiDuvAi. rAgA: sindhubhairavi. Adi tALA. composer not known.

1: nandakumAranai nADiDuvAi nenjE nambiyE ponnaDi tEDuvAi
nittam brndAvanam tannil tANDavamADiya andi pagal pugazh pADiDuvAi
2: pullum magizhndiDum pUttiDumE koDi kallum karaindiDum nATTinilE
cinna pullAnkuzhal iniya OsaiyinAl jagamellAm kuLirndiDa seibavanai
3: mEgha niram koNDa mEniyanai mayil tOghai muDi koNDa mAdhavanai
gOkula bAlanaik-kumbiDuvAi nittam Agama vEdyanai acyutanai
4: nIrajEndranai nirmalanai jagat-kAraNanai paripUNanai
kAruNyamE uruvAnavanai guru mantra nAyakanai

laya2

Post by laya2 »

Thank you very much Mr. Lakshman. I heard the song ragam mentioned as Ragamalika. Can you please clarify on that Mr. Lakshman. Also if you can please provide the meaning of the song it would be great.

Thank you.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The book that I got this song from gave the rAgA as sindhubhairavi. It may have been sung in rAgamAlika by some artist.
I am not qualified enough to provide the meaning. Someone else will probably take up the challenge.

laya2

Post by laya2 »

Thank you Mr. Lakshman. Can you please let me know the word to word meaning of this song

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Give me a couple of days, and I can post.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

nandakumAranai nADiDuvAi nenjE nambiyE ponnaDi tEDuvAi nittam
brndAvanam tannil tANDavamADiya andi pagal pugazh pADiDuvAi

Oh heart/mind (nenjE), (you should) seek/pursue (nADiDuvAi) (kRshNa), the son (kumAran) of nanda; believing (nambiyE) (in him), you should constantly/eternally (nittam) search (tEDuvAi) for (his) golden (pon) feet (aDi), and sing (pADiDuvAi) praises (pugazh) of how he danced (ADiya) the tANDavam in (tannil) bRndAvan (bRndAvanam) in the morning (pagal) and evening (andi) [1].
pullum magizhndiDum pUttiDumE koDi kallum karaindiDum nATTinilE cinna
pullAnkuzhal iniya OsaiyinAl jagamellAm kuLirndiDa seibavanai (nADiDuvAi nenjamE…)

(Oh heart, seek him, who) calms and comforts (kuLirndiDa seibavan) the entire (ellAm) world (jagam) through the sweet (iniya) sounds (OsaiyinAl) (produced) from his small (cinna) flute (pullAnkuzhal); even (blades of) grass (pullum) rejoice (magizhndiDum), creepers (koDi) bloom (pUttiDumE), and stones (kallum) melt (karaindiDum) in the area/country (nATTinilE) [2].
mEgha niRam koNDa mEniyanai mayil tOgai muDi koNDa mAdhavanai
gOkula bAlanaik-kumbiDuvAi nittam Agama vEdiyanai acyutanai (nADiDuvAi nenjamE…)

(Oh heart, seek him, who is considered to be) the Supreme Lord (vEdiyanai) by the scriptures (Agama), the one who is permanent (acyutanai); (you) should worship/bow down to (kumbiDuvAi) mAdhava (mAdhavanai) [3], the one whose complexion (mEniyanai) is the color of (niRam koNDa) of clouds (mEgha), and who wears/bears (koNDa) a crown (muDi) of peacock (mayil) feathers (tOgai).
nIrajEndranai nirmalanai jagat-kAraNanai paripUNanai
kAruNyamE uruvAnavanai guru mantra nAyakanai (nADiDuvAi nenjamE)

(Oh heart, seek him, who is) the Lord of the lotus (nIrajEndranai) [4], the pure one (nirmalanai), the one who is the main reason/cause (kAraNanai) for the world (jagat), the complete one (paripUraNanai), the very embodiment (uruvamAnavanai) of compassion (kAruNyamE), the leader (nAyakanai) (who expounded the) treatise (mantra) about being a preceptor (guru) [5].

FOOTNOTES
[1] andi is actually the period of twilight
[2] nADu – country or locality – I think this refers to bRndAvan
[3] mAdhava – husband (dhava) of Lakshmi (mA)
[4] I have not heard of this epithet before
[5] guru mantra – refers to the gItOpadESam