Divya Prabandham music

History, religion and culture
MaalirumSolaiNambi

Post by MaalirumSolaiNambi »

I am intereseted in divya prabandha paasurams that have been sung in CM style -- as viruttham or otherwise, as opposed to the traditional "paarayaNam" style.

I have the full thiruppAvai set by KVN (from rapidshare) - and many others have sung many of the thiruppavai paasurams in standard concerts. But the rest of the paasurams have not got quite the same attention.

KVN has sung all 10 verses of the last decad of perumaL thirumozhi of Kulasekara azhwar in different ragas -- I found the links at MusicIndiaOnline.com (In those 10 paasurams azhwar summarizes rAmayaNa).

I also came across TNS's singing (viruttham style) of the fourth decad of kulasekara azhwar's perumaL thirumozhi (where the azhwar sings about wanting to be reborn as various objects in Thirumala)- from the sangeethapriya website.

While on perumaL thirumozhi, B.V.Raman and B.V.Lakshman used to sing in ragamalika style the eighth decad (lullabies to Rama, all verses ending "thAlelo"). This used to be a part of the AIR-Chennai's morning 15 minute program (around 7 AM) and I have it heard it many times -- so hopefully someone has it and can share it.

Before the sangeetham board wend down again, "abadri" was kind enough to point me to the renderings by DKP of the last two verses of amalanAdhipirAn (available from the Nada anubhooti site). Having only listened to those two beautiful verses as part of sattrumurai in temples, it was quite different listening to DKP singing them in four different ragas (DKP changed the words of the penultimate paasuram -- from neelameni aiyo to neelameni aiya -- which also seems appropriate enough in the context of singing).

"abadri" also referred me to ARI's rendering of thirunedunthaNdakam (available on rapidshare).

What else is available?

I am particularly looking for:

- vaaraNamaayiram of AndaL's nachiyar thirumozhi (should be available, have heard people singing in temples)

- thiruvAimozhi (since it is supposed to be the equivalent of Sama veda -- and the last thaniyan just prior to the start of thiruvAimozhi in fact refers to "yaazhinisai vedatthiyal") - at least the 100 verses that form part of Kovil thiruvAimozhi, particularly the first decad as well as the decad that begins "ArA amudhe" (this decad is significant, since sri nAthamuni heard only this decad which prompted him to then make the efforts to retrieve the 4000 verses for future generations).

- other verses that are usually part of sattrumurai or nithyaanusandhanam (e.g., pallandu, thiruppaLLiezhuchi, kaNNinuNsiruthambu, parts of periya thirumozhi such as the verses about ahobilam, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help in locating any publicly avaiable versions -- even if they are only commercially available, any details would be welcome.

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

MaalirumSolaiNambi

venkmal,
I was looking for prabandham verses in carnatic music form -- the file you have is in the traditional parrayNam style.
The clip you posted -- I already had that; it is by Malolakkannan and Ranganathan, and I have it as part as kovil thiruvAymozhi (available on tape, bought at Giri Traders in Mylapore).

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

yes u r right it's the same. But except tiruppavai i doubt u will get any clippings of divya in carnatic style. may be viruttam style.
i have one cd of vasumathi badrinathan if u want i can post that one by one. venkmal

vraja

Post by vraja »

During my recent chennai visit, I came across and bought Divya Prabhandam by Mani Krishnaswamy. I haven't listened to it yet, but i think it will be carnatic based. I got it from the shop on Eldam's road (the name of the shop slips my mind)

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Here is a rendition of Nyasa Dashakam by Swami Desikan. Let me know how u like it and then I will send u the details of the artist.

http://www.savefile.com/files/2399846

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Moving this to Bhakti section

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

For more info: The Nyasa Dashakam is in two ragas namely Shivaranjani and Shubha Pantuvarali. If anybody downloaded this, I would appreciate their views on the rendition.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am intereseted in divya prabandha paasurams that have been sung in CM style -- as viruttham or otherwise, as opposed to the traditional "paarayaNam" style.
The Bombay Sisters (Smt. C. Saroja and Smt. C. Lalita) have a commercial release of many songs from the divya prabhandam, set to various rAgas. The only draw back with it is that as always, they manage to make all the songs sound the same! (Don't get me wrong, I do have several of their tapes/CDs, and appreciate their efforts towards deserving charities, and popularizing tamizh isai. So, this is just my personal opinion, and not the view of the administration!)

Also, as far as vAraNam Ayiram goes, there is actually a halfway decent version by an extremely young P Susheela for a movie: a dance number pictured on an extremely slim and gorgeous Padmini dressed as gOdhA.
Ravi

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

If anybody is interested, I will upload a few more Pasurams in Viruttam style by the same singer whose Nyasa Dashakam I uploaded in my previous posting.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

By all means please. Those paashurams are indeed delightful!
Thanks for the offer. (If possible provide the lyric too since some are exotic!)

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Here are two Paasurams viz. Vaadinen Vaadi and Kulam Tarum Selvam Tandidum followed by a Tyagaraja kriti on Narasimha in Bilahari Ragam. I could not separate th Pasurams from the kriti as it is in the same track.

http://www.savefile.com/files/2399846

As for the words for Nyasa Dashakam that I posted in one of my earlier postings, it is in sanskrit and you can get the same from www.prapatti.com

Let me know how u like it.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

sumram
you have reposted the nyasaa satakam

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks! Nice sivaranjani..followed by lovely bilahari!
Pl post more when you get to them..

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Glad you liked it. It was sung by me in the recording I did last summer. Actually, the first Pasuram (Vadinen Vadi) is in Revati and Kulam Tarum is as you said Bilahari followed by Narasimha of Tyagaraja Swami

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

sumram99
You have a beautiful voice. Very pliable.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Here is a beautiful rendition of Mannupugazh Kosalai by the great duo B.V. Raman and Lakshmanan. I think this what Malirumsolainambi wanted in his first posting.

http://www.savefile.com/files/2670177

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Thank you Dr. Shrikanth!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I agree with DRS totally.
Pl post more of your solos

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

sumram99

Keep posting your recordings.they are wonderful.
AND TO HELL WITH THESE CONTROVERSIES OVER COPYRIGHTS.

that is until you start copyrights on your recordings ;) ;)

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Thank you DRS, CMLOVER, KULKARNIJI for your encouraging words. I did this recording for a religious organisation as Seva. So I dont think copyright issues would rise as I am the artist. Also I have recorded bhajans for other religious organisations like Chinmaya Mission again as a Seva, in the Hindustani style based on different ragas. I could upload them too. But I am not sure in which section do I upload them. Please let me know and I would be more than happy to share them with you.

Regards

Sumati

laxmiv

Post by laxmiv »

Sumathi,

You sing so well. I really liked the bilahari rendition.
Regards,

Laxmi

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Thank you Laxmi! U know when I was recording that, I was so nervous bcos everyone including me and my family were mesmerised by MSS Amma's rendition in Mohanam. And by default we identified that Pasuram with Mohanam and MSS's Divine voice. But, I could not leave out that Pasuram and I had to sing it and before Narasimha Nannu and hence it had to be in Bilahari!!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sumati,
Why did you want to sing that pAsuram before narasimha? Can I ask what the relevance is? I do not comprehend the entire meaning of it.
Ravi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

MaalirumSolaiNambi:
There are some other commercial recordings of pAsurams in carnatic form. I sure you know about the pAsuram rendered by the late MSS - muDionRi mUvulagarkku.

I know I have heard an album by Dr Subhashini Parthasarathy (I think its by a co. known as "Saragam" -have 2 ask Vocalist 2 confirm) and she has set some pAsurams to rAga and tALa. "vannamADangalShUl" (thirukOttiyUr) is one of the popular pieces.

The late Smt. maNi kr.shNasvAmi I think has rendered a number of pAsurams (I think this was one of her specialities)to music. I saw the album on sale at the MA in Chennai a few years ago. There's also the famous dayAshatakam of vEdAnta dEshika recording.

I think Smt. R Vedavalli also has let out an album on pAsurams. I have heard some of her disciples render some pAsurams years ago.

meena

Post by meena »

Nalayira Divya Prabandham by sree TVS, just lovely.

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/bzqr/05+Divya+prabantham.mp3

shankar/cml/arasi pl.:)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is the lyric

panikkadalilpaLLikOLaip pazhakavittu Odivandhu_en
manakkadalilvaazhavalla maayamaNaaLan^ambee!

thanikkadalEthanichchudarE thaniyulakE_enRenRu
unakkidamaayirukka ennai_unakku_uriththaakkinaiyE.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Meena,
Thank you for the beautiful pAsuram (periAzhvAr's) and the bhAvA filled rendering of TVS. I have not heard him sing this one before. A bonus!

panikkaDAlil paLLI kOLaip pazhaga vittu
ODi vanden manak kaDalil vAzha valla mAya maNALa nambi!
tanik kaDAlE, tanich chuDarE, tani ulagE enRenRu,
unakkiDamAi irukka ennai unakkurittAkkinaiyE!

panik kaDalil= in the cold, snowy, milky sea. pani+ kaDal+il
pARkaDal is sri vaikunta. The kshetra which lies outside of our ken.
paLLi kOL=snake which is bed; kOl here is snake; paLLi-sleep. A snake which is used as a bed (sEsha sayana)
pazhaga viTTu= after letting anantha agree to it; pazhaga viTTu here is for him to get used to the idea
manakkaDalil= in my manakkaDal--in (my turbulent) heart
vAzha valla= capable of living; mAya--magical
maNALa nambI=maNALan--object of love; namban--one you can trust in and surrender to--nambI! is to address him.
tanik kaDalE!=tani--one and only, unique; kaDalE! o sea! (the endless one)
tanich chuDarE!= the luminous one
tani ulagE!=the very universe (not 'world' here)
enRenRu= enRu+enRu--saying again and again
unakku iDamAyirukka ennai=unakku--to you iDam+ Ayirukka--to be your abode
ennai=making me, my heart.
unakkurittAkkinaiyE=unakku+urittu+AkkinaiyE--you made me your own--apnAnA in hindi

Appeasing the snake that lives in the milky ocean (of your leaving him for me), you make my lowly heart your abode and would thrive in it too, magical one! my
beloved who is the only one there is to surrender to--
Endless sea (of mercy), the greatest light, the (my) only universe, I repeat--
You made me your own!
Last edited by arasi on 23 Aug 2006, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

paLLi koLLudal is to rest on a bed= 'En paLLi koNDIr aiyyA (why did you rest?)
Here, it is kOL--a snake (kOL also means a planet--not here)
Last edited by arasi on 23 Aug 2006, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

cml/arasi

thanks alot.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done arasi and the added clarification.
I thought first the beginning line means"
'panik kaDalil paLLi koLLuM pazhakkaththai viTTu' (abandoning the habit of sleeping in the cold ocean)(note paLLi = sleeping plac)
But the special use of 'kOL =snake" has really a poetic meaning!

arasi

Post by arasi »

cml, merci!
I am waiting for your song on decorum--if there is a quorum among us, we could even have a forum hymn!:)--in the Technical Section, of course...
Last edited by arasi on 23 Aug 2006, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That is a good idea and I will think about it! We can render it in chorus with the magic of the internet! After re-reading the thread on'vaLLikkaNavan pErai..' I was thinking of composing a kaavadi chinthu which Ravi can choreograph, mOhan can set the music and his wife perform the dance (others too pitchin with ideas..). It will be a riot in this Forum):)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CML
Suji will accompany with his/her violin.

arasi

Post by arasi »

In maNipravALA perhaps--not all the languages jumbled in a line but each line in a different language?? Just a thought...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

cmlover wrote:That is a good idea and I will think about it! We can render it in chorus with the magic of the internet! After re-reading the thread on'vaLLikkaNavan pErai..' I was thinking of composing a kaavadi chinthu which Ravi can choreograph, mOhan can set the music and his wife perform the dance (others too pitchin with ideas..). It will be a riot in this Forum):)
LOL!
I think Sangeeta Ayyar sings...
And if you are using a framework for a kAvaDi chindu, mADu meikkum kaNNE may be better. (It remains my favorite!)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

kiransurya wrote:CML
Suji will accompany with his/her violin.
Hmm..How about you??

CML,
In what rAgA are you composing?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi, Bharathi's kAlamAm vanattil sung by MSS is another kAvaDi chindu. BhArathi gets to be Ghalib here with layer upon layer of meanings. The song as I see it is the essence of his association with Arobindo during his Pondicheri days.
Another favorite of mine is puLLi kalAba mayil vAgan.
Last edited by arasi on 24 Aug 2006, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Meena,

Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri T.V. Shanakaranarayanan does a great job in selecting some good pasurams for viruttam. Definitely a treat to hear. Thank you.

Arasi,

Thank you for giving us a detailed word by word of the pasuram. I would like to make some corrections and add a few comments about it.

This pAsuram is in periyAzhvAr tirumozhi - ayindAm pattu nAngAm tirumozhi onbadAm pAsuram (Fifth Decad Fourth tirumozhi Ninth pAsuram) - 5.4.9 or 471 in cumulative order. The first verse in that padigam is senniyOngu tani tiruvEnkatamuDaiyAy ....

>> panikkaDAlil paLLI kOLaip pazhaga vittu
>> ODi vanden manak kaDalil vAzha valla mAya maNALa nambi!
>> tanik kaDAlE, tanich chuDarE, tani ulagE enRenRu,
>> unakkiDamAi irukka ennai unakkurittAkkinaiyE!

>> panik kaDalil= in the cold, snowy, milky sea. (correct)

>> pARkaDal is sri vaikunta. The kshetra which lies outside of our ken.

tiruppArkadal is not tiruvaikuNTam. Both of them are different places according to rAmAnuSa darisanam or SRI vaiSNavam. This kSetra is classified under vaDanATTu tiruppati and tiruvaikuNTam is the tirunAdu outside the lIlA viButi.

>> paLLi kOL=snake which is bed; kOl here is snake; paLLi-sleep. A snake which is used as a bed (sEsha sayana)

>> pazhaga viTTu= after letting anantha agree to it; pazhaga viTTu here is for him to get used to the idea

Here the habit is for emperumAn SRImannArAyaNan and not for tiruvanantAzhvAn.

>> manakkaDalil= in my manakkaDal--in (my turbulent) heart

>> vAzha valla= capable of living;

Here, its one who came to live in my heart. azhvAr is singing this pAsuram after he had understood that perumAL and gOdA are in his heart.

>> mAya--magical

>> maNALa nambI=maNALan--object of love; namban--one you can trust in and surrender to--nambI! is to address him.

nambI is a very beautiful word in tamizh. It means one who has all the auspicious qualities in full or kalyANaguNaparipUrti (as against advaita siddAntA which states He doesnt have any guNas - nirguNa brahma vAdam).

If azhvAr was to say that he believes in Him, he wouldn't have told that in 471st pasuram (last but third of periyAzhvAr tirumozhi) and that too after he had already given away gOdA in marriage to rangamannAr. He also mentions it one of in his earlier pAsurams. He knew that perumAL was going to protect him at any cost even before he started singing pallAnDu pallAnDu, his first pAsuram.

>> tanik kaDalE!=tani--one and only, unique; kaDalE! o sea! (the endless one)

His own pArkaDal, milky ocean.

>> tanich chuDarE!= the luminous one

His own solar system - sUrya manDala madyavarthi SRimannArAyaNan.

>> tani ulagE!=the very universe (not 'world' here)

His own world nitya viButi or tiruvaikuNTam.

>> enRenRu= enRu+enRu--saying again and again

It is like saying indamAdiri indamAdiri in tamizh (like like.... crude transalation in English)

>> unakku iDamAyirukka ennai=unakku--to you iDam+ Ayirukka--to be your abode

You have the above (tiruppArkaDal, sUryamanDalam,tiruvaikuNTam) as abodes

>> ennai=making me, my heart.

my lowly heart

>> unakkurittAkkinaiyE=unakku+urittu+AkkinaiyE--you made me your own--apnAnA in hindi

Made (my lowly heart) your home with tAyAr/gOdA.

(Reference: http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archi ... /0024.html

PeriyAzhwAr Thiurmozhi 5.4- [on the day of AzhwAr Thirunakshathram]

Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 00:28:36 PDT

Panikkadalil paLLikOLaip pazhakavittu Odivandhu_en
manakkadalilvaazhavalla maayamaNaaLan^ambee!
thanikkadalEthanichchudarE thaniyulakE_enRenRu
unakkidamaayirukka ennai_unakku_uriththaakkinaiyE. 9.

[A really a marvelous pAsuram- one can not resist and control his tears when
reading and reciting this brilliant pAsuram] [It appears as if] You have
forgotten Your habit of resting comfortably on the cool, milky ocean and run
away from there to reside in the ocean of this heart of mine! Oh Lord who is
capable of performing such miraculous deeds (maaya manila nambhI)! Oh Lord
of Periya PiraaTTi -MahA Lakshmi ! Oh Samastha kalyANa guNa paripooRNA! Lord
full of auspicious guNAs! You have discarded the matchless places of Your
erstwhile residence such as Milky ocean and the orbit of the Sun and have
chosen this lowly heart as your preferred seat of residence. Your sowseelya
guNam is beyond description.......)

If you like to listen to Velukkudi Krishnan Swami's upanyasam on tiruppArkaDal and tirupparamapadam, you can buy it at www.vedics.net. Start listening to it and I assure you that you will loose youself into it.

I have been trying to read some more on the music in DrAviDavEdam. I should be able to right something soon.

Thank you.
Last edited by ksrimech on 26 Aug 2006, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ksrimech,
Thank you for your post. One learns all the time! You bring the religious dimensions of the pAsuram to the fore--something I am not schooled in. It is merely a literary excercise for me to translate songs to the best of my ability. It is an activity which brings to focus the forgotten gems which in turn enrich me.
You are right. TVS sings pAsurams with such bhAvA...
Last edited by arasi on 26 Aug 2006, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

ksrimech

thanku very much.

meena

Post by meena »

TNS Divya Prabandham project:
DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

MaalirumSolaiNambi

Thanks to all posters who have replied - and thanks meena for that link to TNS's interview.

Does anyone have anything from the Kovil Thiruvaymozhi, particularly the decad that begins "Araa amudhe ..." (This is the beginning of the 11 verses that Sri Nathamuni heard, and spurred him to bring the 4000 back to the public domain.)

Also, the links to the BVR-BVL posted uplink do not work now, can anyone repost that? Thanks!
(These are the verses that TNS also refers to in his interview - and AIR used to broadcast them often in the 7 to 7:15 AM segment.)

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Sangeethapriya (Nalayira Divya Prabandham) links

Aazhimazhaikkannaa (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by ARI (contribution - Ramanujam)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ramanuja ... kannaa.mp3

Ambarame tanneere (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by KVN (contribution - KL)
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kl/32-KV ... nneere.mp3
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kl/32-KV ... nneere.mp3

Anrivvulagam alandhaai (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by ARI
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... upavai.mp3

by KVN
(contribution - HMG Murthy)
12th song in directory

(contribution - Ramanujam)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ramanuja ... andaai.mp3

(contribution - TVG)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -468KB.mp3

Karavaigal pin sendru (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by KVN (contribution - TVG)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... 1.02MB.mp3

Keesu keesendru engum (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by KVN
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... ppavai.mp3

5th song in directory

Koodarai vellum (Andal - Thiruppavai)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -876KB.mp3

Maale manivanna (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by KVN
12th song in directory

(contribution - Vijay)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... varali.mp3

(contribution - TVG)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -572KB.mp3

by MSS (contribution - Kumar Narayanan)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... upavai.mp3

Nayakanai nindra (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by KVN (contribution - HMG Murthy)
3rd song in directory

Orutthi maganai (Andal - Thiruppavai)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -557KB.mp3

Panikkadalil palli (Periyazhwar - )
by TVS (contribution - VC Sridhar)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~vcsridha ... antham.mp3

Sediyayaya valvinaigal (Kulasekara Azhwar - Perumal Thirumozhi)
by TNS
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... TIONAL.mp3

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... adhvan.mp3
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... _Hamsa.mp3

(contribution - Nathan)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... nandhi.mp3

Sitramsiru kaale (Andal - Thiruppavai)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -961KB.mp3

Vandinam muralum solai (Thondaradipodi Azhwar - Thirumaalai)
by MSS (contribution - Ranganathan)
2nd song in directory --> 04_MSS_Madras_TV_25MAR1987_Sri_Rangam_Samprokshanam

Vangakkadal kadaindha (Andal - Thiruppavai)
by ARI
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... Surati.mp3

by KVN
(contribution - Sridharan)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... Suruti.mp3

(contribution - TVG)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/010. ... -723KB.mp3

by TNS
(contribution - R Ramachandran)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ramach/V ... ppavai.mp3

(contribution - Raju Asokan)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~asokan/C ... URUTTI.MP3
_________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by thanjavur on 07 Apr 2007, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.

Raju

Post by Raju »

Sumati --> I would like to listen to your rendition of the pasurams. I clicked on the link; but the file is not available?

Raju

Post by Raju »

I saw some earlier post on Divya Prabandham music. I would like to listen to it. One Sumati, it appears posted it. I am not able to get it from that link. Can someone please help? I would very much like to listen.

pacha

Post by pacha »

Please try the following links for two pasurams tuned and presented by Dr R Lalitha Rukmani, Ex Principal, Kalakshetra, with a few students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYsg9mjc0xk

http://srirangapankajam.com/V28.aspx

I wish more of her tunes are available to us.