SPB - SP Balasubrahmanyam

Remembering musicians of the recent past
ganesh_mourthy

Re: SPB - SP Balasubrahmanyam

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Obituary is a place of sanctum.
YOU COULD RESPECT AND HONOUR THE SOUL WITH A ONE LINER

or

Imagine there are people close to the the soul sitting in the flesh and you are asked to give a VERY short speech in honour of the departed soul . Whatever is permissible in that situation, should be the limit here too. you need to weigh your thoughts and words before speaking.

Thank you

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I hope SPB up there will not mind the ruckus we created here. He has been such a larger than life figure that has impacted people so much, it deserves lot of (heated) discussion. Connoisseurs on the male side has dwindled and males are accompanying female rasikas to attend the "popular" singers, completely losing the groove of original appreciation existing in previous eras.

Many deep SPB listeners who are into appreciating nuances in music are prime candidates to be drawn into sampradaya music through the appreciation of laya, especially contrasting SPB's singing mode to what is actually different in sampradAya sangItam.

We have tried gamakas, and that has not gotten us anywhere! Smt. Charulata Mani ran a series of Isai Payanam with film songs and ragas, only to finally declare in her blog that, Carnatic music is a pass time of old Women and some "work at home" Moms and offered her pitiful sympathies to the male singers.

It is important to take to the root of Indian music that is the "meter" characteristic of all ancient Indian languages as well as chants. Before sAmA vEda gave us notes of karaharapriya or the kaafi thaat, other vedas gave us meters with even more modest count of notes.

Just like actual form of the meters are irrelevant to today's music, so do the actual notes as rAgAs moved beyond just svaras. Concept of meter in the form of mAtrAs instead of syllables is endemic to sangItam. The tALA system with it's kriyas need paid attention to. Drawing attention to saSabda and niSabda in tALa structure, how it is not just some beats is a start.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Shankarank, Shankarank, Shankarank!!!

Alright ... He is a departed soul , but he was also a public figure and an artiste who reached stardom thanks to fandom. I am sure you cannot contain your overflowing opinions and ideas . Let me start another thread titled " SPB the singer, musician, actor and a personality and etc" And that "etc" is for all of those who does esoteric ramblings , musings and taking out their frustrations and dejections of life safely in Rasikas.org through SPB.

I think this thread has received all its dues. Mods.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Fandom is something there for many musicians at different scales. But just like many greats, he also inspired thoughtful music lovers too. Don't think we need to box him into a celebrity containment!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I am continuing in the new thread for SPB ... pls join there ShankaranK