MADURAI SIVAGANESH IN MUDHRA 24/12/2020

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

MADURAI SIVAGANESH IN MUDHRA 24/12/2020

Post by CRama »

Madurai Sivaganesh presented an enthralling concert for Mudhra with the team of artistes- V.Deepika on the violin, Akshay Anand on the Mridangam and G.Ravichandra on the Ganjira. The list of songs.

• Varnam- Abhogi
• Sidhivinayakam- Chamaram- MD (S)
• Mayamma- Ahiri- SS
• Makelara- Ravichandrika- T (R,S)
• Manasa mana samardhya- Vardhini- T
• RTP- Varali. Khanda Triputa talam
• Ambigai Jagadambigai varaalido srutiyodu layamum taraalido
• RM- Trinetrapriya, Hameerkalyani
• Nambikkoll, Nambikkoll- Behag- Neelakanta Sivan
• Taruni jnaan enthu cheyvu- Dwijavanti-ST
• Thillana- Basant Bahar- TNS

Madurai Sivaganesh is the disciple of C.R.Vaidyanathan, the prime disciple of Guru P.S.Narayanaswamy. Earlier he had his training under his grandfather and Sri. Kannan, a disciple of Madurai T.N.Seshagopalan. As such influence of PSN school as well as TNS is overall pervasive in the music of Sivaganesh. He was the title winner of Mudhra Cutchery Competition in 2016 and I have been hearing his music since then. A consummate musician.

Abhogi varnam lent a bright start to the concert. Sidhivinayakam added charm and gusto to the concert in the start itself. Imaginative swaras at an unusual edam Ananthaguruguhagrajam provided evidence of his manodharmam and musical acumen. In the kriti Mayamma, the unhurried kalapramanam ensured a grand exploration of the pensive mood of the kriti.

Two ragams were taken up for elaboration. Ravichandrika and Varali. The alapana of Ravichandrika was bright. I have never heard an alapana of Ravichandrika recently in any concert. The raga contours were clearly displayed without any cross over to Natakurinji. The kalpana swarams added sheen to the presentation. The alapana of Varali was very detailed and his voice with its comfortable range helped to traverse the upper sthayi sancharams with perfection and consummate ease. The tanam had very nice patterns. The pallavi is coined by TNS and it was rendered with perfection including the elaborate neraval, trikalam and kalpana swarams, The name of the ragam is skilfully incorporated in the pallavi. In the ragamalika swarams, he sang a new ragam for me- Trinetrapriya- a janyam of Chakravakam.

All the tail enders were presented with full bhavam and dedication. The tillana in the ragam Basant composed by TNS is on Ganapathy.

V. Deepika on the violin provided appropriate accompaniment. She exuded confidence throughout and brought out the thick and thin shades on the violin admirably. She added sheen to the concert by the sweetness of her bowing. Ashwin Anand, a disciple of K.S.Kalidas and a torch bearer of Palani Subramania Pillai bani embellished the concert significantly. His playing had variety and clarity in the strokes employed. The admirable toppi valantalai coordination and the patterns he played on the toppi were commendable. G.Ravichandra on the Ganjira prived a good match for the imagination of Akshay Anand.

shankarank

Re: MADURAI SIVAGANESH IN MUDHRA 24/12/2020

Post by shankarank »

His grand father SrI Sailam Iyer was a familiar name doing the rounds among musically connected people ( some family friends who went to the Madurai music college), as well as one in my somewhat distant family who learnt some rare dIkshitar items from him.

Sri Kannan, a student of TNS, is also familiar ( you can see him seated in the TNS 24 Hour marathon that was recorded in year 2000). He and his sister , I remember, sang a Carnatic interlude in the bhajan (rAdha KalyAnam) session in our temple once. Never came big in concert circuit. They used to live in our locality as well.

rajeshnat

Re: MADURAI SIVAGANESH IN MUDHRA 24/12/2020

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 11:44 Madurai Sivaganesh presented an enthralling concert for Mudhra with the team of artistes- V.Deepika on the violin, Akshay Anand on the Mridangam and G.Ravichandra on the Ganjira. The list of songs.
I knew G Ravichandran is a ghatam artist . Is there also a G Ravichandra a kanjira artist. Thank you for the review