Wanting to donate cassettes

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arunsri

Wanting to donate cassettes

Post by arunsri »

Dear Rasikas,

I have a collection of about 600 concerts (about 1500 cassettes) of Carnatic Vocal (Primarily and some instrumental), that I wish to give to any one genuinely interested in music or music organisation. They are with my parents in HYDERABAD.

You will need to come and collect it from my home,

if you plan to convert it to mp3 format, would request a copy for me in case I do not have it.

if interested, please contact me at my email ID.

Thanks
Arun

Manian

Re: Wanting to donate cassettes

Post by Manian »

Just a curiosity. Music Academy, Sri Sanjay, Raj Bharati and a whole group of eminent musicians live in Chennai. Don't they have an organization to collect, sort, rerecord and make a music library? They know the value and have resources to do this as a caretaker of Carnatic Music. This is not a insulting statement. When people collect rare material, preservation is not also planned. Books go to junk paper waalaa for making paper bags, and so on. There must be some one who can lead this effort to preserve our heritage. Neither I have the means nor the power, otherwise I would do it. I had collected lots of rare books on many aspects of Music, but my late brother thought they were junk and he sold them for a mere 1,000 Rs. I was depressed for a month. So do not collect any thing. I once a copy of Semmangudi's navarasa sahitya (I don't know who wrote it) and it goes like this " Sringramm sidhi nandhine vikaranee (the sea hugging the sky is the example of sribaara.. Raudram Ravana Mardhanam.. ) This was a UNESCO recording?, but I lost the 72 RPM to some one who is no more alive and his family who took all his money and gold, house ditched it as a junk! So, my curiosity is those who collecte material from this site and others, have you made provision for their preservation in the future. I want to learn form you. Thanks. Please don't say, I know some one..., please be specific.