RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY- ARKAY - ELEVENTH ANNIVERSARY

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY- ARKAY - ELEVENTH ANNIVERSARY

Post by CRama »

The last live concert I attended was in March 2020 in Vani Mahal. Today, 20/11/21, after eighteen months, I attended the Inauguration of Anniversary followed by the outstanding concert of Ramakrishnan Murthy. What a best way to restart the live concert experience after a long lull period for artistes, rasikas, and everybody world over. Pray this will restore normalcy in the days to come and we will step into a rejuvenated 2022. The joy in the face of every one was explicit. RKM was accompanied by RK Sreeramkumar on the Violin, Neyveli Narayanan on the Mridangam and V.Suresh on the Ghatam.

List of songs.
• Varnam- Begada- Ata talam
• Yochana- Durbar- (S)
• Sree Kanchinayike- Asaveri- Annawami Sastry
• Divakaratanujam- Yadukulakambodi- (R,S)
• Maramanan-Hindolam (R)
• Upacharamulanu-Bhairavi (R,N,S)
• Tani avartanam
• Paarukkule nalla nadu- Jonpuri
• Srutva guna-slokam- Kedaragowla,Durbari kanada, Dwijavanthi, Suruti
• Vanga kadal-Suruti
• Mangalam
RKM is scoring high everywhere. Recently we discussed about two concerts in rasikas.org. This concert also is a stellar concert. Only thing it started late after the speeches. Concert started at 7 PM and got over by 9 PM. But his voice throw, manodharmam, vidwat, coordination with the other artistes on stage, packaging everything was palpable.

The Begada ata tala varnam is new to me. Perhaps Sanjay would have sung. But I don’t remember of hearing. Dontknow the composer also. It was presented well with perfect raga bhavam and grip over the talam.

Yochana was appended with some brisk swara patterns.

Yadukulakambodi alapana was top. The alapana was elaborate, with good imaginative phrases- mostly in vilamba kalam. Kriti- as expected on any Saturday. Swaras were also having very nice patterns oozing with raga bhavam every inch. A very enjoyable presentation.

Hindolam alapana was also very good- Elaborate, meditative in many parts.
Bhairavi stole the show. The alapana centred around middle and top octaves suiting the kriti. His fine voice, with its vast range was fully exploited. Neraval was on an unusual lines- Janaki pati…..upacharamulani. Swara were at Uragarajasayana. RKM sang with imagination and voice control The koraippu landing at various swaras were intelligently done.

RKSRK alapanas were very good matching the imagination of RKM. Neyveli Narayanan embellished the concert very well. Weighty punches, variety of strokes and right volume. Suresh on the Ghatam jelled well with the Mridangam in the tani. Tani lasted 15 minutes. There was reasonably good crowd.
Listen to the concert. Link given below.
https://youtu.be/i_QJc9LBb6A

shankarank

Re: RAMAKRISHNAN MURTHY- ARKAY - ELEVENTH ANNIVERSARY

Post by shankarank »

The mic. positioning put the vocal vs violin and also with percussion, out of balance. The mic. positioned below chin vertically like that did not have good pickup. Hope this is avoided.