Vid. Vasudha Ravi @ Naada Inbam NOV 21, 2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Vid. Vasudha Ravi @ Naada Inbam NOV 21, 2021

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imf0pTCuk34

Vid. Vasudha Ravi gave a scholarly performance leaning more towards verve and layam filled svaraprastAram. Slightly limited on the voice timbre, she balanced the whole rendition selecting vervy kritis:

nArada muni (pantuvarALi) - triSra naDai - Adi
Sobillu Saptasvara - svaraprastarams for citta svaram :D
SaravaNa Bhava guhanE - madyamAvati - Adi as main.

The serene intersperse of kAngEya vasana dharam of Sri svAti tiruNal also was a selection with caukam set in a gait that allowed KallaDaikuricci Sivakumar to add gravitas with his majestic right side ( toppi) and clippy left. These type of renditions set to rest the refrain about karnATaka sangeetam being madyama kAlam. A caukam with endearing tempo is very much possible with tALa niScayam and it is not just the MDR the maverick who does it.

The main SaravaNa bhava guhanE itself favored Sivakumar with his style of emphasizing the syllables in that kriti and their landing.

In nArada muni I missed a take on the peak conclusive sangati - as she kept landing repeatedly with "pa-ma-ri" on linarE. A relief was missing with a "sa-ni-da" take as well. Felt like she was holding something back ("edayO viDAmal piDittu vaittiruppadu pOnDRu oru eNNam") . I would expect samvAdi counterpart to be brought out as well as the sangati lifts upwards. Some vague memory of listening the same with MSS ( may be different from what I am thinking). The vidushi wanted to stick to pATantaram ? Or may be linarE falls on svaraksharam - ri?

A good concert by the vidushi.