Carnatic Vocals teacher offering online classes

To teach and learn Indian classical music
pkrishnan

Carnatic Vocals teacher offering online classes

Post by pkrishnan »

Hello,

My guru, S Srividya, is offering Carnatic vocal lessons online. She is based in Chennai and is happy to teach students from different countries and ranging from complete beginner to advanced stages. Her students belong to a mix of age groups, with the youngest student being a 3-year-old.

She is the daughter of the late Vidwan Sethalapathy Balasubramaniam, who learnt from Papanasam Sivan himself. Sahitya bhavam is one of the core aspects of his school of music, and there is also a strong focus on manodharma sangeetham. Vidwan Sethalapathy Balasubramaniam's virutham delivery and renditions of Tamil krithis have created a rich and lasting legacy that continues to inspire several musicians today, including Vidwan Sanjay Subrahmanyan.

Srividya ma'am received training under this tradition, from her aunt, Dr Rukmini Ramani, and her father, Vidwan Sethapathy Balasubramaniam. Her focus is on ensuring that students receive a solid foundation, with an understanding and appreciation of gamaka and shruthi shuddham, and sahitya bhavam. To this end, she has composed sahityam for beginner lessons, ranging from Sarali Varisais to Alankarams.

She also emphasises the usage of the right vocal technique from the very beginning and teaches students to feel the placement of shruthis. This further encourages students to listen to Carnatic music with a deeper understanding of shruthis and swarasthanas, which enables them to notate what they listen to.

If you are interested, please message me for more information and I can put you in touch with my guru.

Thanks!