Abilash Giriprasad@Kedaram On Dec 05th,2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------
Vocal: Abilash Giriprasad (Semmangudi->PSN-> AS Murali -> Abilash)
Violin : R Raghul
Mrudangam : Guru Raghavendra
Morsing: Sai Subramanian
Tambura : ?

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - another concert to follow after award function
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 90 mins
Concert Type: Free Concert
Hall : Ragasudha Hall, Luz ,Mylapore
Sabha : Kedaram

01. Hari Narayana (S) - kedaram
swaras for 5 mins
02. Odi Bharayya (RS) - bhairavi
2 mins alapana with no return

03. Kandu Kandu (R) - sahana
5 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
04. tAla bEku mela bEku (R, S) - shreeranjani
2 mins alapana with no return
6 mins swaras

05A. bhAraiyya Venkataramana (R,N,S,T)- sAveri
8 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
neraval for 4 mins in aravinda nAbha bArO
7 mins swaras
05B tani for 5 mins

06. devabanda namma ranga(raga sketch) - bEhag
07. tamburi meetidava - sindubhairavi

Over to second live concert attending at sabha and then only reviewing ."Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" (GLICSPAWES 2021 for short).

In the last few years I did purposely go and attend Abilash concert in bit far away Pammal where he sings a full nirvana full scale concert . Covid has played spoiltsport where there is so little to choose . I just thought let me break this usual desire and attend even 90 mins concert as if I miss this year,then it is next Dec 2022. This concert was conducted a fairly new sabha by name Kedaram who are into 6th or 7th year .You can treat this kedaram sabha as a bit of 2 super sabhas like nadopasana or Safe, bit miniature in scale Hope Kedaram really does well and in 10 years be like safe or nadopasana, only sabhas can make this art continue , online will only kill the live patronage sooner. Incidentally this concert was followed by award function . One of the awardees was AKC Natarajan who attended atleast 45 mins of this concert . A 90 plus musician showing patronage is a joy to see . AKC was awarded by sabha with few other musicians like Bharath Sundar who also had his concert which i could not make it . Apart from AKC , in this sparse pre evening concert i could also spot Abilash another guru Srimushnam and Vikku Vinayakaram.

I personally did not know that the concert was a Purandara dasar exclusive krithi concert . The theme was not advertised in the paper , so it was a surprise. I have attended one thematic lecdem or some thing of purandara dasar but this is the first time i am attending an exclusive concert . Purandaradasar despite having the title as the sangeetha pithamaha certainly falls behind by lightyears say a T, MD ,Papanasam Sivan , GKB or SS for sure in concert adoption. Usually you may have one number of PD , so for a change to hear all PD krithis was one big experience for this Dec 2021 season

I entered a min or two late . The fantastic kedaram just got started and i did not know the krithi . You can kind of think it was bit on the lines of Rama nee pai , the kedaram was fantastic start .Abilash was a bit like his grand paramaguru Semmangudi there. The sedate and expressive bhairavi was well done with sangathi weight . He started with another line nOduva mAnadariya and then only into more familiar line odi bharaiyya . I longed to hear bit more bhairavi but it was just krithi .

Abilash also adopts a significant share of MDR like typecast . The sahana alapana and krithi was a showcase of how powerful his voice is in lower registers . Till first half of sahana krithi i liked it , but there was a bit of voice hoarseness coming in higher registers. The pick of the day to me was shree ranjani , very creative with superb layam control despite the rendition being fast .

Saveri was main with a lot of jeeva pidis . For some reason this krithi was not that catchy to me , neraval was just good . The swaras did have a creative pattern. In the tukkadas the behag was well done and deep. i dont like this tamburi meetidava , songs like tamburi and say brahmam okate they reduce the carnatic to a bit of sampradaya bhajan like atmosphere.

R Raghul played good , his melody quotient could have been higher. Guru Ragavendra was a sarvalaghu champ , patterns were interesting for most part but in some occcasion i found a share of vOttam. Morsing artist played adequately but he had limited role. Tani was crisp and they more air time to vocalist

Abilash has to bit be careful in higher register , bit heavy nasal voice and high register shrill is bit coming in. All said he is very manodharmic , his patterns in both krithi and creative essays in swaras appear as though he is well seasoned senior artists. Some times he reminds me of Voleti too with effortless brigas that are so tightly stiched with percussion beat and he is keeping sangathi classical weight everywhere.

All said in GLICSPAWES 2021 , 2 is done for me ,atleast 6 more to go

Overall very good concert for 90 mins