Ramakrishnan Murthy@RR Sabha On Dec 11th,2021

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------
Vocal: Ramakrishnan Murthy
Violin : Vittal Rangan
Mrudangam : KA Arunprakash
Ghatam: N Guruprasad
Tambura : ?

Day/Duration : Saturday/ 18: 35 to 21 :05 pm
Concert Type: Nirvana Concert, No concert to follow
Hall : RR Sabha Mini Hall, Mylapore
Sabha : R R Sabha

R R Sabha is certainly a lovely sabha. With atleast 15 years in construction and rebuilding post millennium , this sabha resurrected with a lovely hall and started having concerts in only last few years. This year for atleast 7 to 10 days they dedicated their concert series in the name of Perpetuity to carnatic stalwarts who have passed away. RKM had Ramnadkrishnan for his tribute . I recollect in following days Nisha had DKP, VijaySiva had DKJ, Suryaprakash had MMI and GV had MLV . Also there were few more tributes before this RKM which i forgot. I did not go to any other concert in this series ,if some one writes about other concerts in a new thread , that should be great

RKM concert was dedicated to Ramnad Krishnan

01. endukku nirdhaya (S) - harikAmbOdhi - T
swaras for 5 mins
02. sanatAna (R) - Phalamanjari - T
3 mins alapana with 2 mins return

03. ninnu jeppa KAranamEmi (R, N,S) - mandAri - Patnam
4 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return
neraval for 3 mins .... venkatesha yanni
6 mins swaras

04. raghupathE rAmA (R) - sahana -T
almost equal mins of 6 for both alapana and violin return

05.akshayalinga vibhO - shankarabharanam - MD

06A. pAlincu kAmakshi (R,N,S,T)- madhyamavati - SS
Forgot to note the mins but alapana and swaras were bit short
05B tani for 12 mins

07. mODi jEsEvElrA (jAvaLi) - kamas - Pattabhiramiah
08. parulanna mAta - kApi - Dharmapuri Subbarayar

09A. slokham - gnanAdhi RAmA - sAveri+ AtanA
+ gnAdhi tOrbala - hameer kalyani + varAli
+ ??? - Kannada
+ gnAthi rAmA - sudda sArang --Dont Know the slokham author???
09B. kalayE yashodhE - sudda sArang - NT
10. thirrupugazh - kAranam ??? - Sindhubhairavi

11. Thillana - Tom Tom tadanu - poornachandrika -Poochi Iyengar
12. Nee nama - sowrashtram -T

rajeshnat

Re: Ramakrishnan Murthy@RR Sabha On Dec 11th,2021

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramnad krishnan is surely a musician musician . Personally to me .he was an internet forum recommended musician . Ramnad Krishnan has incredible fidelity . When i went to this concert my mind was thinking about few posts here in rasikas. Even though he is more known in presenting the genre of Brindamma music , some early recordings had a heavy usage of GNB with some breezy brigas . I visualize him as early gnb and a bit later settling like brindamma music . i used to think what a singer when I heard Ramnad krishnan presenting Bhuvidasudane (sriranjani), akshayalinga (i think with MSG and TS)- what an alapana and krithi. His sahana is a league of its own especially one RTP in sahana and definitely few patnam krithis in ragam keeravani were all presented with immense carnaticness . In todays era the best vaarisu for RK is indeed Sreevalsan Menon . I can see pockets of RK in last few years with RKMurthy ,Prasanna, Amrutha Venkatesh and also this young musician GirijaShankar

Over to third live concert attending at sabha and then only reviewing ."Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" (GLICSPAWES 2021 for short).

RKM started with a bit of campaign where some times musicians go with directly with a weight number . HarikAmbOdhi start in endukku nirdhaya number came out just ok, Some numbers have to gel better when presented as a dashing opening number, i could not spot the team aurally synching.

Phalamanjari came up next , tricky raga to present with quite a few cluster of ragas to disambiguate . He did well. Mandari in all my years I have aurally heard bit of traces of poorvikalyani and quite a heavy aural typecast with Amruthavarshini. When he sang there were also glimpses of gowlipantu , when the alapana was sung i could spot lot of overlap with the song taranum eedamma. I just googled to find gowlipantu and Mandari indeed has overlap just like amruthavarshini and Mandari . May be it is comforting as i did not lose anything yet due to Covid loss of not attending that many concerts . RKM sang but for most part Arunprakash was not playing. Sahana came in and the alapana was measured and the krithi was done well. The next akshyalanga vibho as a krithi was just good , arunprakash almost not playing for the song did not give me the needed sound perfect structure of this masterpiece,even the usual bit more engaging play say for anupallavi was there. It was almost RKM suprabhatam concert .

At that point of time , i felt may be between sahana and shankarabharnam he could have choosed justone . With nice standard pidis madhyamavati rolled with lovely return from Vittal . Alapnana and Swaras could have been bit more engaging but RKM was bit squatting in just few patterns.

In Tukkadas the best was the ragamaliga slokham , I wish to be educated if anyone knows who penned the words of the slokham that RKM song. All ragas were well done with Vittal showing more sharpness in atleast one raga Kannada . I loved his last narayana theerthar kalayE yashodhE in suddasarang here RKM zoned very much like RK. REst of the tukkadas were bit too many , he could have kept atleast one. KalayE yashodhE was the pick of the day.

Vittal Rangan has impressive naadham no questions about that .In few krithis he was not proportioning his reply, few weeks back he had the same problem with prasanna concert . I wish he just works on the proportion. ArunPrakash play was too much muted , particularly in songs like akshaya linga he was just touching at times with one finger , excising pauses and tight presses without sound did not get me engaged .CM is a tough art , the vocalist needs violin for voice continuity between sangathis , vocalist needs mrudangam as the voice will also show more strains , Arunprakash exposes far more strains of vocalist voice with his excessive non playing part . Arunprakash certainly has lovely naadam but in general it comes way towards the end and there is not much runway for vocalist to sing as he takes his play part way too late . Guruprasad was perhaps bit constrained as he was playing way too minimal upapakkavadhyam cannot give contrast when pakkavadhyam has excessive sparseness . Their tani was standard. The song sequence for the legend Ramnad krishnan was picked up well, but the engagement and depth could have been bit better

All said in GLICSPAWES 2021 , 3 is done for me ,atleast 5 more to go

Overall good to very good concert for 2 hours and 30 mins