Prof. KG Vijayakrishnan

Remembering musicians of the recent past
vainika

Prof. KG Vijayakrishnan

Post by vainika »

Devastating to learn of the demise of Professor KG Vijayakrishnan, brilliant musician, vainika, linguist and retired faculty of EFLU, Hyderabad. Vijay was a frequent contributor to online forums. He studied music from his mother Karpagavalli Gopalakrishnan, who was a student of Ranga Ramanuja Iyengar. Vijay cherished and upheld the Veena Dhanam bani, and made great efforts to explain its subtleties and complexities through tutorials and live demonstrations. Also, a wonderful human being, very encouraging and supportive of students of the Veena, no matter what bani.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtYOXh4eNG8

Ramnath Iyer

Re: Prof. KG Vijayakrishnan

Post by Ramnath Iyer »

It is shocking to hear that Vijay is no more. He was such good friend, a gentleman and a fine vainika. Even a few days ago we were exchanging messages; never knew he was going to be no more.
May his athma attain salvation. Om Shanti 🙏

Vijay has been recording his unique bani prolifically in the last few years for posterity. He employed the fast disappearing split fingering technique to bring out the subtle tones and ‘ravai’ sangatis so effectively on the Veena. Please listen to one of his recordings.
https://youtu.be/yhh5wxZFpQU

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

So sorry to hear that Prof K G vijayakrishnan is no more. Once vainika called us in 2007 (i just searched in the forum)where he held a meet in his flat near music academy .A bunch of rasikas.org related friends went to meet at his home for that informal session. Many were there like vasumathi ?? , Sundar?? , Uday, Arunk , vijay, Coolkarni, may be Rajumds .

I vividly recollect Vijayakrishnan also conducted some antakshari and a lecdem like session that went for atleast close to 2 hours, all of a sudden in that jam session he jumps to some ragas like kaikavashi . I also remember he segregating how MD has evolved over a period of time where he talks about Deekshitar on his nottu swaras to the more grandeur pieces . I remember that day vijaykrishnan sang some rare bhairavi krithi after i think sundar (is that the right name) who sang swara jathi kanchi kamakshi and vasumathi who sang some krithi.

ANy topic VijayKrishnan can talk and it was so deep but i didnot feel ever than that i lost my focus.It is just not the veena alone or the veena dhanammal bani that he possibly practices, but the lucidity and focus of what he talked informally was all about the grandeur of carnatic music with so many insights of vaggeyakkaras and vidushi/vidwans all within a short time . On that day atleast i got some thing very very deep in my carnatic psyche- was that Thamizh krithi in bhairavi , some talk on Deekshitar, i think that was the first day i met Uday with flute and may be even Arunk of chicago.

Om shanthi to KG Vijayakrishnan.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Torchbearer of the Dhanammal Baani, Sri KGV was a repository of many rare compositions of the trinity as well as Padams and Javalis. I was fortunate to have had his esteemed friendship and heard him at sabhas and informal gatherings (chamber concerts) in Chennai during the past few years. Music of substance. And yes, a fingering technique of the vintage era.

We were in touch over the social media and last he told about his book on music. A jovial person with a fine sense of humour. In fact the Covid lockdown took away two solid seasons of Chennai and thereby his aperances...

Heartfelt condolences to the bereaved.
Om Shanti

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramakrishnan (Vainika),
So sorry to hear about prof. Vijayakrishnan's demise. Condolences to family, friends and students.
I didn't have a chance to interact with him that day years ago at that session, arriving a bit late. I could hear his fine playing, though. The first thing I noticed was his long fingers working dexterously on the strings and his absorption in the music. This clip reminded me of that rare chance I had that day.
Om Shanti...

Rajesh,
Yes, Rajumds was there and Cool had brought along Keerthi who sang also.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Ramnath Iyer wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 08:09 He employed the fast disappearing split fingering technique to bring out the subtle tones and ‘ravai’ sangatis
https://youtu.be/yhh5wxZFpQU
My condolences..

May I ask what “ravai” sangatis are? My apologies, if my question is inappropriate in this thread. My intention is to ask it where the person who used the term is likely to see it. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Om shanthi to KG Vijayakrishnan.avl.
Satgathirprapthirasthu.