Saketharaman@Papanasam Sivan Rasikar Trust(BVB Main) on Oct 01st,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Saketharaman
Violin : HN Bhaskar
Mrudangam : NC Bharadwaj
Claypot : Ghatam Karthik

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ Forgot to note bit more than 2 hours plus
Hall : BVB Main Hall
Sabha: Papansam Sivan Trust , championed by their family- Rukmini Ramani ,Ashok Ramani etal
Special Mention : Papanasam Sivan Yearly conducts in mylapore
… went 10 mins late , assuming the below is the first song, all songs were from the great Thamizh Thyagayya
…..
…..
1. Sama Gana Lolane (S) - HIndolam
5 mins swaras
2. Nee Iran Yenil - Atana

03. AndavanE unnai nambinEn (R,N,S) - shanmughapriya
7 mins alapana and 3 mins violin
6 mins neraval in Taandavam aadum kunjitha
6 mins swaras
04. shAradhe Veena vadana(brief ragasketch) - devagandhari

05. Soppana vaazhvil magizhndu - vijayanagari???
06A. kAna Kann KOTi verdum (R viruththam N S T )- Stormbodhi
8 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
06B. Viruththam line between alapana and song was Petra Thai thanai marandaalum …
Neraval was in manikkam Jairam 8 mins swaras for 9 mins
066C. Tani

07. Tarunam edayya nalla - shivaranjani??
08. Ramanai bhajithal - mAnd Also
09. manamE kanamum - Mishra kamaj???

10. kannE en kanmaniyE - kurinji

12A.viruththam - Dhanam Tharum Kalvi Tharum - Abhirami AnthAdi
12B. karpagamE - madhyamavati
13. Mangalam
Last edited by rajeshnat on 24 Oct 2022, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Saketharaman@Papanasam Sivan Rasikar Trust(BVB Main) on Oct 01st,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

It is a joy to hear an exclusive Papanasam Sivan concert .In my head atleast the Carnatic trinities in terms of contributions are T, MD and Sivan.Shri Sivan is prolific to the core , his adulation with Trinities particularly Sadguru thyagaraja is always given, but there is a joy where CM has indeed flourished because of Sivan as he has tuned most of the songs in thamizh which is the only CM language I understand.

This concert was thematic with a lot of young kids - mostly pavada chatta girls and with only one boy taking turns to give some contextual few liners . I would not state that as unwanted intrusion , but did have a right context and meaning. Saketharaman is blossoming and maturing very well as a quality singer. He had a lot of nasal tinge in say years upto 2017 or so , now he is able to demonstrate with more vocal muscle which is always fantastic.

I was bit late ,Saketharaman was just starting with nice hindolam swaras. He sang a lovely atana and for a brief time he explained how his guru Maestro Lalgudi Jayaraman sir used to teach 3 sangathis in a line in atana krithi where 1st is a statement , 2nd is a plead and then 3rd is the usual atana'ish assertion. Shanmughapriya had a slight off punch start but he did very well with the krithi and neraval . I adore andavanE unnai nambinen especially some lines kadalinil bayangaram where you can showcase so much of shanmughapriya. The devagandhari did not have a great punch .

MK Thiagaraja bhagavathar popularised soppana vazhvil came next like a doordarshan oliyum OLiyum. I think the raga is Vijayanagari . He sang well and the crowd lapped it up and I did not find the same interest . The maturing to near matured saketharaman was portrayed very well with kana kann Koti vendum, this Krithi is a monumental classical krithi. If I could make a cheeky remark Sivan challenged O rangasayi and created kaana Kann koti. THe storm Bodhi Ragam for this krithi stays intensely in a hurricane mode with manikkam vairam shining so well . Lovely neraval and swaras with that centre point ga pa ma gA ri ga sa ri ga ,I surely liked it. Also the intermediate Petra Thai thanai viruththam was catchy , though I don’t know the Sivan connection…

The tail krithis were mostly well done, the best pick for me was the shivaranjani and the Kurinji lullaby , I did not know the Kanne en kanmaniye krithi at all and this is a testimony of Sivan’s spread of compositions. I am not a fan of this semi classical ManamE kanamum , the ms amma popularised . I think the ragam of that is not abheri but Mishra kamaj. Ramanai bhajithal had pep and the karpagamE is a mylapore BVB venue special.

HN Bhaskar played well , for some songs the tone was not his usual MSG'ish bow . Both the percussionist , now I have forgotten how they played tani , but they surely did very well. Kudos to Sivan family to organise and popularise the greatest thamizh vaggeyakkara and atleast in my mind one of the 3 trinities of CM (If you discount SS 3 swarajathis , Sivan leads the trinity list for sure, but hey he was born 200 years later). Well done kids , the script writers and saketharaman,bhaskar , Karthik and NC Bharadwaj. It is my misfortune that i came 10 to 15 mins late. I asked one person he said this is first song , and another person told me there was 1 song before hindolam.

Overall an excellent concert close to 2 and half hours
Last edited by rajeshnat on 24 Oct 2022, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Saketharaman@Papanasam Sivan Rasikar Trust(BVB Maiin) on Oct 01st,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Saketharaman
Violin : HN Bhaskar
Mrudangam : NC Bharadwaj
Claypot : Ghatam Karthik

Special Mention : Papanasam Sivan Yearly remembrance

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=377877#p377877