Suryaprakash@Bharat Kalachar on Dec 28th, 2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Vaibhav Ramani , disciple of Kumaresa of Ganesh Kumaresh fame
Mrudangam : Melakaveri Balaji
Ghatam : Claypot Karthik
Tambura : His disciple one girl , forgot her name who was announced by Madhuvanti - daughter of Y Gee Mahendra

Concert Type : Non Nirvana concert-
Day/Duration : Wednesday /2 hours and 40 mins
Sabha / Hall : Bharat Kalachar
Dedicated to. : Padma Bhushan Late T V Sankaranarayanan

01. Brova bA rAmA (R,S) - bahudari - T
2 mins alapana with no violin return and swaras for 5 mins

02.ini Oru kanam - shree Ranjani - Papanasam Sivan
03. AdaMOdi kalede (R N S) - chArukEsi - T
8 mins alapana and 5 mmins violin return
6 mins neraval in chaluVulenni thelisi sankara
5 mins swaras

04. vaNdE tunai tandEn - Suddhadhanyasi - Arasi
05. Sarasa sAma dhAna (S) - Kapi Narayani -T
6 mins swaras

06A. Nanmaiyum selvamum - madhuvanti + Janmamum maranamum - HIndOlam - Kambar
06B. rAmanukku maNNan mudi (S)- hindolam - Ak
4 mins swaras

07A. NagumOmu (R S T) - Abheri -T
11 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
Swara ragamaligas in ten ragas
They are AbhEri + Behag + Kapi + Kedaragowlai + mohanakalyani + Brindavani + REvati +nattaikurinji + Todi + Varali

07B. Tani for 24 mins

08. Govardhana giridhAri(R) - darbari kAnadA - NT
2 mins alapana with no violin return

09A. Viruththam pachai- mA malai pol MEni - sindhu Bhairavi + hamsanandi - Divyaprabhandam
09B. Sreenivasa thiruvenkata - hamsAnandi - Sivan
10. Vaazhiya senthamizh Bharath kalachacharam - mangalam

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash@Bharat Kalachar on Dec 28th, 2022

Post by rajeshnat »

There was two big plus that I heard for the first time ,lot of positives and few negatives in the concert

Has Any one sung kuraippu swaras in forward quarterly cycle after a round of forward and reverse cycles
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————\
Main krithis with a round of ragamaliga swaras certainly showcases a different and surely enjoyable dimension. Even MMI did in his Sangeetha Kalanidhi for inta sowkya where he did ragamaliga swaras

After a round of swaras in Abheri , he sang one forward full kuraippu cycle of 10 ragamaliga swaras, then Half round reverse cycle of kuraippu in 10 raga maliga swaras . I think these two are nothing to ravish for individuality . But to sing then a third forward round in quarter cycle of ragamaliga kuraippu swaras of 10 ragas was possibly my first experience ever. Carnatic Music indeed has complexity , how he does not so effortlessly without an angle of complexity where he just sings from his heart as though it is a standard mugged up say cittaswara of some krithi.

I am assuming may be or just may be not even TRS ,TNS or Abhishek may have ever sung a forward quarter cycle of 10 ragamaligas swaras. If any one of you heard forward kuraippu swaras of quarter cycles to give the Jeeva rasa of upto 10 ragamaliga ragas do share the link or the textual experience please, I am making an assumption so far only once I heard 10 ragamaliga kuraippu forward swaras. May be I have heard some TNS , my memory is fading right now.

The Swara ragamaligas in ten ragas were
AbhEri + Behag + Kapi + Kedaragowlai + mohanakalyani + Brindavani + REvati +nattaikurinji + Todi + Varali

I also Met Arasi
————————
I was seated in last 10 rows to middle section of the hall without knowing that Arasi was also there . When Suryaprakash sang Vande Tunai tanDEn , thank god he announced arasi the composer is there. Then I moved forward and sat with her. Joy to meet Arasi after atleast 4 to 5 years gap. The Suddha dhanyasi krithi is one of a kind by Arasi skilfully sung and possibly rehashed with more Suddham dhanyasi oomph. It is a nice song in thamizh marching towards some established krithis like subramanyena .

Few negatives
———————
1. Start was delayed for 6 to 8 mins absolutely unacceptable . Let musicians when they get 2 and half to 3 hour slots sing as though they got music academy after noon slot 1 45 to 3 45. The start has to be on time …

2. Tani was long for 24 mins or so .

3. ghatam Karthik need not demand more volume for his ghatam

Few Points about concert
————————————
Suryaprakash dedicated charukesi and said the ragam to the drama actor Y gee M who has played charukesi character with the same drama name . Then madhuvanti was perhaps sung in Kamba Ramayana viruththam to dedicate to YGeeM’s daughter Madhuvanti. For me personally the second biggest head turner was Suddha dhanyasi and the early brOVa Bharamaa. The leisurely strong throw of Darbari Kannada with he liberally taking a line Sankara and extending with few taan like phrases and singing as Sankara narayana as a tribute to his great guru TVS was lovely. Personally when TVS passed away with his last rites being done at Besant Nagar crematorium I was few among those who paid tribute to him. All those who started hearing in 80s and 90s owe a lot to Shri TVS.

The young Vaibhav Ramani was impactful in Shruthi but he was at times ezhuthu Kooti Vasichufying (adding syllables one by one and playing). He is definitely in the right path of proportion.

Ghatam Karthik plays with flair , if Suryaprakash is effortless in swaras , Karthik is very effortless in playing during the course of song . How does he just tap with one thumb and still align so well with pakkavadhyam is a mystery for me . Melakaveri Naadabhadran is what I can describe him with his lovely sarvalaghu. Tani could have been shortened

Y GEE M and Family have to be praised for Bharat kalachar
———————————————————————————————
Y Gee M , his wife Sudha and his daughter madhuvanti were present and were leading from the front . For sure Y Gee M is championing very silently he lets his daughter play the role of Mrs YGP. Most importantly this year they have modelled the sound system bit better this year.

What I like about them is they say in their banner their sabha is holding from Dec 16th to Jan 15th , no signs of defeatist mentality . They have lined so many artists , possibly increased their share of patronage as two great sabhas did not function this year .One sabha few decades was holding the tag that they hold series for 45 days CCA or NCA after Lion S Natarajan passed away has permanently folded few years back . This year I am feeling so sad as to why Mudhra decided not to function this year in their usual RKM School.

Hopefully mudhra bounces back next year . One has to give it to Bharat Kalachar for their dogged fight , the invite brochure lining up artists is fantastic . Sabha patrons and families should have the feeling that they are the best and indeed Y Gee M have that feeling which is a great thing for Chennai December season. The day the sabha patrons lose a bit of ego that they are not in the top of the world ,that’s it .Over the years I feel ego is a great thing to be developed atleast during season.

As I walked out I could see 2 couples who are all both post 75 in age where I recognised both of them . I am seeing them after few decades. Both are acquaintances with one parents son settled abroad was my school friend . They both have their homes in the vicinity and they said they can only come to Bharat kalachar and they say they avoid going to Mylapore fearing traffic and health. That is the purpose of sabhas , sabhas are like pOst offices or elementary schools it has to have proximity for rasikas and patrons should always keep it alive.

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #12 of 12 is done.

May be I will attend one or two more before the first two weeks of Jan 2023, ending the season. The season was surely great , I only took one day one concert .

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 40 mins.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Vaibhav Ramani , disciple of Kumaresh of Ganesh Kumaresh fame
Mrudangam : Melakaveri Balaji
Ghatam : Claypot Karthik
Tambura : His disciple one girl , forgot her name who was announced by Madhuvanti - daughter of Y Gee Mahendra

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378434#p378434

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suryaprakash's concert was as energetic as ever: his voice flowed beautifully without any stop, and it's nothing to be surprised about. I was hoping to catch him elsewhere too, but with family visits and music, it was not possible. Melakaveri gels with Suryaprakash so well and Dr.Karthik, the king of the clay pot surely enhances any concert, we all know.

Vaibhav Ramani seems like a promising young violinist. Still, it wasn't easy for him to keep up with Suryaprakash's verve and vigor. Coming from the school of the famous violinists, he will soon master faster playing and keep up with Suryaprakash's mellifluous singing...

Rajesh,
Am I glad we didn't miss each other that day! The song by the way is vandE thuNai tandE enaik kAkkum kandanE.