Pas Pasupathy

Remembering musicians of the recent past
rajeshnat

Pas Pasupathy

Post by rajeshnat »

Genuinely one of the finest rasikas who did so much of service to thamizh, his engineering and work and also music. He had so much deep interest in collecting so many articles that he has shared so readily with all. Personally he has sent quite a few emails to me and he has asked can we meet some time, it just did not happen - that is my fate of not meeting a great person like pasupathy sir. I know many in north america particularly in toronto will know him - that includes not just rasikas even musicians, academic and fine arts community .

Prof Pas Pasupathy passed away. Om Shanthi

His biography is there in the below link
https://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~pas/

All his collated posts in rasikas are here in the below link(7868 posts), particularly so many rare colllections of nostalgia only he can give us no one can give other than him.
'
search.php?author_id=15705&sr=posts

K Nagarajan

Re: Pas Pasupathy

Post by K Nagarajan »

Om Shanthi.

The following is the link for a composition by Dr Pas Pasupati sung in a concert.
viewtopic.php?t=34307#p363198

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Om Shanti.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Ohm Shanthi.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Shocked to hear of his passing. We were friends for almost five decades and often exchanged information on Karnatak music. It was Pasupathy who urged me to use ITRANS format for lyrics and today it has been generally accepted by the rasikas community. We will miss him sorely. Raiksa will miss his unique sangIta sangatigaL postings. My sincere condolence to the family. May his sour rest in eternal peace. Om shantih.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Oh, my heart aches
A dear friend gone
Someone I prized
For so many things

His erudition, dedication
In sharing treasures galore
Mining lodes of gold from yore
Of tamizh's gems, small and grand

Writings spanning decades, centuries
Of writers great and the lesser known
Humor and precious cartoons too
And about music! A treasure house!

How he brought to us musicians on stage
And off stage, and notated compositions
Culled from his age-old precious collections
His life-long hobby our bounty indeed

The diligence with which he worked!
Day after day bringing a choice morsel
I admired him, was in awe of him, yes
The way he tirelessly shared with others!

Pas Pasupathy, without a pause you worked
We now pause to think-- oh, we have lost
A treasure like you, a veritable beacon
Till we meet again, elsewhere--who knows?

Om Shanti.....

arasi

Post by arasi »

I haven't been looking at Rasikas.org of late, my life being rather occupied at the moment. I knew that he had health problems, but didn't imagine he would be gone so quickly. My thoughts are with the family, especially his dear partner...

Lakshman,
I can imagine how you feel. Your association goes back a long way.

And fellow rasikas who have followed his posts regularly and have admired him for his mighty contributions but have not spoken about it...

We have lost a treasure :(

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I am not able to open Sri K. Nagarajan's link (thanks to him) to listen to the composition sung by TNS. Kindly send it to me. Pasupathy's ishTa daivam, that murugan...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very sorry to hear the news of Dr. Pasupathy's passing. A dear friend to all of us Rasikas, We will miss his great contributions. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences with him and the memories. Om Shanti

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Arasai Madam,
I have given mediafire link for the song composed by Sri Pasupathi.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/sa89mezi ... i.mp3/file

arasi

Post by arasi »

K Nagarajan,
Thank you for posting TNS's singing of Dr. Pasupathy's mangalam. It is lovely. A friend helped in my listening to it since I did not know how to access it.

I couldn't hear all the words clearly in the recording. Could you please post the complete lyrics as well? Thanks :)

RSR

Post by RSR »

I was wondering why there were no fresh posts in Tamizh section . He used to post regularly everyday. For old timers and regular readers of Kalki in those far-off years, he was generous in sharing scan copies of pages from old magazines copies which he had meticulously collected and preserved. and jealously guarded.
I thought he was indisposed only. -alas-it was terminal.
Those who have moved with him and seen his photographs, will ever remember , what a sweet person he was, so truthfully seen in his child-like , ever-smiling, COY and lovely face. even at the ripe age of eighty.
He never aged.....
and would never age in our minds' eye.
I had the good fortune to know him in his student days and we have NEVER seen him angry or scowling and speak a harsh word though he had very definite personal and social-literary tastes and values. of the ISCUS era.
He was always soft-spoken and smiling . and one among the very best students in whichever institution he studied, be it Loyala, Vivekananda, Guindy, IITM.
And I am sure that he would have been the kindest and keenest mentor of his students at TORONTO. too. .
Dr.Pas!
Your name is SWEETNESS. Your boyish sense of humour will
spread 'sunshine and cheer' wherever you are now. like 'devan' and 'gopulu' whom we all adore.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RSR
So you knew him from student days perhaps that was when he just began to get involved in all his deep pursuits. Thanks for the great post.

All,
I just saw another article published as a kind of eulogy from canada. The url is
https://www.comsoc.org/about/news/memor ... -pasupathy

In his words Pasupathy Sir says "He proudly attributed his success as a researcher and teacher to the culture that was his inheritance via his Indian heritage."