G.V. Krishna prasad: A life dedicated to Carnatic music

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Sachi_R

G.V. Krishna prasad: A life dedicated to Carnatic music

Post by Sachi_R »

G.V. Krishna prasad: A life dedicated to Carnatic music - The Hindu
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 880842.ece

Sri G.V. Krishna prasad passed away on 13 May 2023 in Bengaluru.

For over six decades, Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira, established by Krishna Prasad’s father, has been bringing the best of Carnatic musicians to Bengaluru
May 22, 2023 06:40 pm | Updated May 24, 2023 10:35 am IST

Deepa Ganesh

G.V. Krishna Prasad of Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira in Bengaluru.
G.V. Krishna Prasad of Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira in Bengaluru. | Photo Credit: SREENIVASA MURTHY V

Early this year, in February, at the annual Spring Festival of Music organised by Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira, Bangalore, he was unusually missing at the entrance of the auditorium. He always stood there, ushering listeners in with his characteristic warmth. It was a surprise to see him seated in the first row, even before the audience had filled into the auditorium. The man who had dedicated his life to music for over six decades, said: “my heart has become weak, I don’t have energy like before.” Three months later, on May 13, 2023, Krishna Prasad had passed away.

Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira (SRLKM) came into existence on January 15, 1955 on Sannidhi Road in Bangalore. Vedanta Iyengar, Krishna Prasad’s father, passionate about music, was a respected teacher and scholar. A man who believed in serving the people, he won the Public Service Medal from the Maharaja of Mysore in 1949.

After Vedanta Iyengar passed away, his children continued to serve the cause of music. As a result, Krishna Prasad and his two sisters, G.V. Ranganayakamma and G.V. Neela, took charge of running the institution established by their father. While Krishna Prasad had a day job at the Town Planning department and dedicated all his evenings to music, his sisters taught music and performed concerts. They spent all they earned to music.

Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira in Bengaluru.
Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira in Bengaluru. | Photo Credit: SREENIVASA MURTHY V

Krishna Prasad brought the best artistes of Carnatic music to Bangalore. Apart from the Spring festival, SRLKM conducts a host of other programmes which include regular concerts and lecdems. From Semmangudi Srinivas Iyer to Maharajapuram Santhanam and from M.S. Subbulaksmi to the present day musicians, the Institution has hosted them all. SRLKM instituted an award for young musicians, Raga Laya Prabha and Sangeeta Vedanta Dhureena for senior artistes. Krishna Prasad also organised Tyagaraja Aradhane on January 26 every year and invited veteran and young artistes.

Ten years ago, Krishna Prasad launched a music magazine, Lalitha Kala Tharangini, and hoped to create a rich source of information for the future generations. . And rightly so, the painstakingly well-produced magazine has made its way to the archives of important institutions, including the Music Academy in Chennai. “I had casually mentioned to Krishna Prasad that I quit my job and was hoping to spend my time in music,” recalls Anand, little knowing that Krishna Prasad would come to his home the following day and make him the editor of the magazine. “I have learnt a lot in this journey,” he says. In the last ten years, the magazine has produced special editions on legendary musicians. Krishna Prasad made valuable suggestions and proofread every issue before it went to print. “He was very particular about quality and expenditure hardly mattered to him,” says Anand.

“Each time I came to visit him and left for home, he would say, ‘you must take care of the Mandira’. It rings in my ears,” says M.R. Yoganand, Krishna Prasad’s nephew, and treasurer of SRLKM.

Krishna Prasad could go to any lengths to connect people and music. Hope Sri Rama Lalitha Kala Mandira continues to promote Carnatic music.

thanjavooran

Re: G.V. Krishna prasad: A life dedicated to Carnatic music

Post by thanjavooran »

Ohm Shanthi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sad to hear that Sachi_R and Deepa from The Hindu. Once bangalore must have been starved for good concerts , he and his dad must have quenched the thirst . His age was not mentioned , i wish they did.

Best wishes for Yoganand to perpetuate the lovey legacy “Each time I came to visit him and left for home, he would say, ‘you must take care of the Mandira’. It rings in my ears,” says M.R. Yoganand, Krishna Prasad’s nephew, and treasurer of SRLKM.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I guess he was 81.When I saw him in January and February several times at the series of concerts, he looked frail. To see him in his seat (but sitting to the very end of each concert!) was disheartening. We missed seeing him move about, resolve written on his face as he was walking busily about...

Sri. Krishna Prasad was one of a kind. How he carried on the family's musical tradition is quite awe-inspiring. His father had started the music school and he and his wife wanted all their children to learn music. Krishna Prasad played the mridangam. The sisters taught at the school, training many students over the years. It didn't stop there. They continued to organize concerts, and over the decades, SRLKM grew into a major center for music. While his sisters taught and supported the brother in his mission, this indomitable man with a steely resolve to propagate music in Bengaluru worked tirelessly to achieve that.

What's more, making music available for all at no cost could be done! How he persevered (one of his foremost qualities) and could prove it too! His focus was such that he would brook no nonsense. No special treatment to anyone. Getting funds from patrons and the government occupied him always. It took years for me to detect a smile play on his face. His Eka chintAgraha was in bringing music to all--either in the Mandira's hall, in the pandal outside , at Gayana Samaja or for a few years, the Mangala Auditorium.

He did not have time even for a cup of coffee in the years we started staying in Bengaluru (for a few months every year) while he stopped by annually to collect donations. We got to know each other during two decades or more. Just three years ago when one by one his sisters had passed away, I asked him how he was coping. It was pongal day. I said, would you have a little pongal and coffee (expecting him to say no). He said yes :)and how happy it made me!

Yogananda, his niece and his staff have shown in the past years that they are inspired to carry on in this unique person's footsteps. One of his nieces (may be more from the family elsewhere too) continues the family's tradition in California, teaching children admirably. May dear Krishna Prasad's untiring mission continue in the work of the youngsters in the family...

I bet angels are playing music for him up above. He can hear them without a care or concern in his heart about how to make it all happen without trouble and toil...
Om Shanthi...