sangitha kalanidhi 2024

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shripathi_g

Re: sangitha kalanidhi 2024

Post by shripathi_g »

This decision by MA and this thread itself leaves me very conflicted. At the end of the day, I don't want to wish bad on anybody.

TMK rose to fame with his great voice, powerful music and a prominent namam on his forehead when he was an up and coming star. Maybe he had an epiphany one fine day and ditched the namam for an anti-brahminical ideology but the fact is he was very much part of the establishment while establishing himself as an artist. A real activist or revolutionary would have accomplished what he did without relying on those crutches.

At the same time, he has definitely brought forth biases in the system that are not ideal for the long term survival of our music. Our establishment has made it hard for people from certain demographics to be successful as a musician. Someone had to break open the Pandora's box and talk about these issues. His methods were very crude though and did more harm than good. I see what he's trying to do but antagonizing an already marginalized people is probably not the way to do it.

Leaving aside his political opinions, I do think he has made important contributions to our music. He has attracted mass audiences, performed in numerous forums internationally to spread our music, groomed some good disciples, brought out rare Dikshithar compositions and created a platform where all musicians on stage are treated as equals. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to reward that. It's most likely an attempt by MA to get on with the times too.

deepajyoti

Post by deepajyoti »

//Our establishment has made it hard for people from certain demographics to be successful as a musician.//
People keep saying this, but what is the basis for it? It is hard to successful as a musician. Period.

I don't think most rasikas know the jati of many musicians, unless there is a definite sign or name. I only recently knew that a student of Suguna Varadachari was not a brahmin and it mattered not one bit. Giants like Dandapani Desikar, Naina Pillai, Sheikh Chinna Maulana, the extraordinary talents in Nagaswaram and thavil are so well-respected.

There has been a long, dark period in Indian history where education and arts became difficult to gain for many communities (and women) due to the sheer torture of life under invaders. Today, nobody can be denied either arts or education. Instead of harping on the past like TMK did, let's focus on present. As many are asking, how many shishyas of other so-called jatis has he put on stage?

sam

Post by sam »

Ra-Ga are accomplished and famous vocalists. Nobody can deny them their due recognition,
As for intemperate attack on religious minority musicians, jesudas , a devotee of Chembai ,and chinna moulana sahib , cannot be condemned for the accidence of birth..
Right?
Reverse apartheid?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Is there a link to TMK's songs of praise for EVR? I am sorry I missed that bit in past... being too far away from TN.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sam wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 05:55 As for intemperate attack on religious minority musicians, jesudas , a devotee of Chembai ,and chinna moulana sahib , cannot be condemned for the accidence of birth..
Vid. Jesudas and Vid. Chinna Moulana merged into the mainstream traditional eco system , something the dictates of their purported faith will certainly be against.

Today's situation is vastly different. If you listen to V Sriram's lecture on tamizh isai in Vani Mahal, there were a parallel Christian composers like Vedanayagam Pillai and there was a choir music based on Carnatic. But where did that go?

This is not a mere human rights question, or a pluralistic inclusion question anymore. Certain fundamental issues need sorted out based on the tenets of the musical tradition itself.

It is the educated lot of the prior generations who did not address and delve into these questions. Instead, they leave us with incomplete statements like "CM is Bhakti based" etc. But in some ways, I should also acknowlegde, they put forward the best dialogic position based on their awareness.

For "CM is Bhakti based" we got the following counter points:

1. There was court music. Mostly Pallavi singing sometimes in praise of the King or Vassal. And there was courtesan music as well.

2. Kritis were included only mostly in 20th century public performances.
3. What if one were to do just Alapana? Isn't it musically complete?
4. Then a Pallavi without any accompaniment? Musically complete? This was claimed to have been done by Dr. Pinakapani in a Lecdem and proved - established.
5. Do we need compositions at all?
6. Oh! those were just for appealing to listeners - so they could connect with the music!
7. Ok let's find out what compositions could be sung to connect with some group of rasikas now today!

You see how this has gone. The system has no foundational philosophy spelt out, but discourse is based on some random human needs, one thing today, another tomorrow!

As regards which group practices this music - why music alone, most professions were held in close knit groups or jAtis.

In Europe also there were guilds for many crafts at some point: https://www.britannica.com/topic/guild- ... ssociation. The writeup on that says Industrial Revolution broke the guilds. It also says it continued until 20th century in other places like India, Japan until they were broken finally.

The musical guild in South of India was partially broken with a colonial assault. The remnant associates from the Brahmin community have kept it alive.

Now what sort of action was taken by the government in this regard, post-independence. They continued the piece-meal support in terms of scholarships and things like AIR recruitments. Much of it, I think because the bureaucracy had large Tamil Brahmin representation. But nothing with any earnest effort, that would project this as a positive thing to people even in school going population, even in Urban and semi-urban areas! Whether that would have broken this Guild ( I know I am doing a crude mapping, but if it conveys the idea, ignore the imperfect analogy).

And the deep reason is that this music is tied to the cultural traditions native to the country, it's religious philosophies. It wouldn't suit the secular discourse well, would it? In fact, it would be anathema to the minorities.

Now you want to come and question all this and vilify the very community that carried it on!?? Based on what, some constitutional values? The very constitution that has failed the music and its institutions were used to vilify the culture.

We will have to ask some tough questions, don't we?

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Dushyant Sridhar and Ravikiran abstained from participating MA this year !!!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sachi_R wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 11:03 Was the Thyagaraja Aradhana concert of TMK in MA 2024 livecast? Recorded? At a minimum, after announcing the SK award, MA should publish the concert in its entirety. It may lighten the mood, sweeten the air, cool the room and draw some applause too.
It was a brilliant concert.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankarank wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 08:57 The musical guild in South of India was partially broken with a colonial assault. The remnant associates from the Brahmin community have kept it alive.
You are transferring credit owed to a few/many motivated individuals to the whole "community".

All good in retrospect, but not the way it happens. Just see the community reaction here for an example :D

sam

Post by sam »

in praise of that carcass on a cross
No Sir. That line is really bad.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

girish_a wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 01:13
Things will only get worse from here on.
Thank you for your ample contribution :D

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Oh. No. Chitraveena Ravikiran returned the Sangeetha kaladnidhi award !!!!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sureshvv wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 10:35
You are transferring credit owed to a few/many motivated individuals to the whole "community".

All good in retrospect, but not the way it happens. Just see the community reaction here for an example :D
Well then the characterization indeed was that there is a hegemonic hold by one community, and the music is Brahminized etc. In fact the latter point was made by a questioner from the audience in a Hindu Lit. festival session where Prince Rama Varma was the guest. So why shouldn't the whole community take credit, when in fact the brick bats are thrown , the community as a whole are addressed!

Should I remind you about this video too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQdkFRUzoTU

And a person of your calibre should understand why the members of the community react the way they do- as I pointed out, things should be taken as dialogical - a way of expression as best one can put forward!

sam

Post by sam »

And the deep reason is that this music is tied to the cultural traditions native to the country, it's religious philosophies. It wouldn't suit the secular discourse well, would it? In fact, it would be anathema to the minorities
There are different categories.
Music, Hindusthani music, Carnatic music,Instrumental music..
..i suppose, even a non-hindu, non-pious and non-orthodox brahmin, or non-brahmin can develop liking for the CM system,
As you pointed out, all children should get exposure to classical music in the schools. Tunes and beats. Why not?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Sachi_R wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 08:17 Is there a link to TMK's songs of praise for EVR? I am sorry I missed that bit in past... being too far away from TN.
https://youtu.be/zLpFhcFzZx4?si=MycAEXEe3XHmnR1a

jodha

Post by jodha »

I am surprised by Ravikiran's response on this issue. If I am correct he is not allowed to perform in MA due to me too allegations for the past 3 years.
If at all he should have returned the SK award then itself. Is it not?

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

In his own words:

"My hope is to keep moving the discourse to a point where it really doesn’t matter what you are singing about. You may get to a point where Rama is equalised with a palm tree or a dog."

https://openthemagazine.com/columns/ope ... tm-krishna

sridhar

Post by sridhar »

A voice in support of T M Krishna and the me too movement

https://twitter.com/Chinmayi/status/1770506707975958943

sam

Post by sam »

Heartily applaud Ra.Ga for their courage.
Watch "Carnatic Vocalists Ranjani & Gayatri Exclusive On India Today Amid Protest Over Award To Tm Krishna" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/n4XCDZm_I0o?si=kxumblzHlv2XLKly

Would like to share these videos where the artistes explain their stance in greater detail.
"Carnatic Music Controversy: Trichur Brothers' Exclusive Interview | Carnatic Crown War | India Today" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/NAW4vNJtxBg?si=Zgw4juzHKoMbsm3m

Last edited by sam on 22 Mar 2024, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Also heard Palkad Ramprasad returning the SK award given to PMI. If this news is wrong. Pardon my ignorance, Trichur brothers interview in India today was brilliant. They said "we are running online carnatic music course, where so many children are learning music. in our application, we never ask caste/religion. We just want whether they are really interested in music and pursue in their career"

As Iam the important member of PS Group of Schools in Mylapore. In PS senior secondary, (CBSE) there is a carnatic music (prelimnary with slokas soaked in ragams) class, being conducted, from a teacher from outside. It is say, twice in a week. The students are not only brahmin kids, but so many other hindu kids and to my surprise even other religion too. Some one said about Suguna Varadachari's disciple being a non-brahmin. I know who he was referring to. I know her family. Very devoted to tradition, being a non-brahmin. Every day Laitha sahasranamam chanting is compulsory. That musician has got Doctorate recently.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The art of communication especially with right choice of words is so important . I have taken so much pains in the past to write about slots, about artists recognition , to the best of my knowledge i try to avoid even say one para in 5 or 10 page essay also, but some times something comes out and it becomes a big digression and there is punches from every side . Also in the last few posts in this thread i felt one or two words i could have avoided , though no big deal for almost all of you- i felt it post writing. Yesterday- I only forwarded the image of responses of those that I liked and skipped few .

I am comparing two posts that i forwarded yesterday. Look at the brilliant response of Dushyanth and his superb end with his last two lines , he was the best among the three. Contrast that to first paragraph of the response by Shri Murali to Raga sisters. (words like vituperative- slanderous -defamation- vicious), all that could have been avoided .Atleast i thought the second para of shri Murali was so well written he could have just given that alone . When Shri Murali signs i either understand only he wrote or the committee consulted and wrote with him signing - it is either of the two. As they say Vakkalathu(I dont get that exact english word which has the same punch as thamizh vakkalathu) has its own perils .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 22 Mar 2024, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@admin (srkris) can you bring back the post numbering feature please and also the like button that was there
Last edited by rajeshnat on 22 Mar 2024, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Friends,

TMKrishna has not been a conventional musician since at least a decade or more now .In spite of several seemingly controversial acts by him such as substituting prabhu Jesus for Rama as reported or his remarks regarding MS embracing Bramhinism to further her career in music,the music lovers have not deserted TMK concerts .In Feb 2024 TMK sang at Bangalore Gayana Samaja for a full house. It was the best concert of the festival. I heard his concerts else where including Chennai are well attended too .Generally people have put a filter in TMK's music and take whatever best they get.
As long as Rasikas throng his concerts in recognition of his music, Music Academy is very well justified in awarding the title Sangeetakalanidhi.As far as propagation of Carnatic music he is above many of the eminent musicians who have withdrawn from the Music Academy festival.
Even if you consider nobel prize there are many who could not get the prize ,but that will not diminish its value.Same is the case with the SK title awarded by Music Academy.It continues to have great importance attached to the selection.
The fellow musicians should have seen the crowd thronging in TMK concerts .It is an over reaction from the musicians announcing the boycott.The less said the better on Chitra veena Ravikiran returning the title.

mohan

Post by mohan »

grsastrigal wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 08:31 Also heard Palkad Ramprasad returning the SK award given to PMI. If this news is wrong. "
It is partially correct. The request to return the Palghat Mani Iyer's SK award came from vidwan TR Rajamani (Mani Iyer's son and Ramprasad's uncle).

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

girish_a wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 01:26 In his own words:

"My hope is to keep moving the discourse to a point where it really doesn’t matter what you are singing about. You may get to a point where Rama is equalised with a palm tree or a dog."

https://openthemagazine.com/columns/ope ... tm-krishna
Contitutional high horse instead eh? :lol:

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

The biggest judges are the Rasikas or music lovers who attend the live concerts .It seems to me even after TMK turned controversial ,the Rasikas or Music lovers have not boycotted TM Krishna'music as evident from the full house seen last month in bangalore at Bangalore Gayana Samaja concert organised by SriRama Lalitha Kala Mandira.
Report of crowds for his concerts is a fact in all places he sings including Chennai.

Why are fellow musicians have suddenly woken up after TM Krishna is made Sangitakalanidhi designate?

jodha

Post by jodha »

All sabhas the big as well as small ones offer a copyright title. I doubt whether this much furore would have raised had it been for some other sabha title.This shows the importance of MA and SK title.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In yesterdays HIndu March 22 when i read the hardcopy there was a article tiled "The Music Academy replies to vocalist duo after award" where exactly all the phrases of Shri Murali reply in facebook was added in the quarter page reply . One para was entirely new in the hindu which was not there at all which i am exactly typing below in bold

"It looks they are upset because they have not received the award " he said later, speaking to the Hindu

To the best of all our knowledge , they are only upset first with TMK getting award , i dont know how The Hindu writes like that when there is no demonstrable evidence.

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 976864.ece

sam

Post by sam »

It looks they are upset because they have not received the award " he said later, speaking to the Hindu
This ,from MA is in terribly poor taste unbecoming of such a reputed institution.

sam

Post by sam »

TMK article on M.S.Subbulakshmi in Caravan magazine in 2014.
A re-reading makes me f3el that he was deeply admiring her music and not critical.
Actually, he answers the critics strongly.

Here is an excerpt from the article.

We cannot pass judgement on matters of personal faith.

But the change unquestionably affected MS’s music.

She did not stop at Meera bhajans;

Encouraged by her husband, she acquired and recorded a wider repertoire of religious music, including the work of Tulsidas, Kabir, Nanak, Surdas and Tukaram.

She also learned Rabindrasangeet.

She acquired many identities in her music.

When in Kolkata, she was Tagore.

In Pune, she brought Tukaram to life.

In Delhi, Tulsidas was reincarnated.

On her home turf, in Madras,
Tyagaraja sang through her.

Being all these characters was not just about surrendering personally to a godhead or philosophy.

It also meant that she was reorienting the aesthetics of her art.

It is one thing to learn an assortment of compositions,

completely another to have to perpetually juggle musical approaches.

MS was intensely involved in every work she rendered, which meant giving up something of herself to its composer, form and intent.

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Kudos to Ranjani Gayatri - it takes a lot of guts and character to fight for the Carnatic music ethos. It's shameful that a reputed institution giving SK awards from the '40s and glory for decades has suddenly allowed itself to be struck down by just one individual. So much for the institution's collective wisdom.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Shri kvchellappa :
Thank you !

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

Hello everyone,
I came here for a nuanced discussion (tired of WhatsApp forwards that can be rebutted in heartbeat) and I was not disappointed, thank you.

Could somebody please help me understand a couple of things (so that I can form an informed opinion)
1. The Sangeetha kalanidhi awardee presides over the morning lecture dem sessions - In the past decade, were these sessions attended by popular mainstream performing artists like Raga and trichur brothers? Or, are the attendees a small group of extremely serious rasikas?
2. Usually, does the Sangeetha kalanidhi awardee attend every concert and sit in the front row?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Usually I see that whenever there is a furore, TMK remains cool. He does not even bother with rhetoric. He is probably consumed in lovely moments serenading "kinnathil then eduthu". Carnatic music could be the bedrock our musical past which crosses paths with a trivial many a things such as TMK and Academy. The whole big fuss is not worth it. It is just a Theatre happening. Too much emphasis on Music Academy and making them feel like Academy award with all the buzz.
I love music , esp Carnatic. But, what is that Kalanidhi awards?

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Sorry . Duplication

sam

Post by sam »

Listened to the complete podcast posted...prof.desiraju
The scientist says that the awards are generally announced only in july or even later and this year it has been announced early because of forthcoming election.
But last year also, the award was announced in march, i think.
Bombay Jayashri chosen for Sangita Kalanidhi Award 2023 by Music Academy
Updated - March 19, 2023 at 07:13 PM. | Chennai

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

@Sam , you are absolutely right . A quick google search reveals that the announcement was made at about the same time last year. The professor anchors his stance very heavily on the timing which has been debunked by a quick 2 second google search.

Another piece of misinformation casually thrown about - the professor says that TMK wanted to replace Hindu deity names with Jesus and Allah in Krithis. I don’t recall TMK having said or done this (and if he has, please share the tweet or recording of the krithi, I would be happy to correct myself). A few years ago, there was indeed this controversy but the singers accused were OS Arun, Nithyashree and I think Aruna Sairam. A lot of “facts” in the WhatsApp forward that propagated the controversy were later debunked. TMK called out the bigotry and merely said that in response to intolerance, he would release a song on Jesus or Allah every month. It looks like the professor does not fully recollect this incident and lobs an accusation on TMK.

Edited my original post to add this -
https://m.thewire.in/article/the-arts/c ... x4ssevokxd

The above article was written by Krishna in 2018 where he specifically refers to replacing deity names in Krithis. This is what he - “Before I begin, I want to repeat once again that no Carnatic musician has sung a Tyagaraja kirtana merely replacing the word Rama with Christ. If this had happened, it would have been aesthetic vandalism and I would have joined those asking tough questions. But to the best of my knowledge, this has not occurred.”

While I don’t necessarily agree with every viewpoint of TMK, I am really worried that a lot of misinformation is casually tossed around and shared and reshared via social media.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

sam wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 13:39 TMK article on M.S.Subbulakshmi in Caravan magazine in 2014.
A re-reading makes me f3el that he was deeply admiring her music and not critical.
Actually, he answers the critics strongly.
A re-reading of that and his emphasis on "art music" taken together rather sounds like Smt. MSS revived Bhakti movement in the country and created a vote bank base for his persona-non-grata political party :lol: .

Does that sound like a compliment? :D You have to hear the person across his spectrum to know what he means right?

Oh! Wouldn't it have been nicer, if she had stuck to her etherial free for all renditions of viribhoni varNam available on youtube, rendered prior to her religious conversion - bellowing out all the electrifying brighas ( similar to what S.G. Kittappa did on his stage music with a stage voice :P ) and what not?

It would have served the art and saved the effort from the YACM gang that had to revive the art , that too falsely without realizing what is the true nature of it and then TMK had to have a revelation to do it truly now ;) tcho tcho :lol:

sam

Post by sam »

On her home turf, in Madras,
Tyagaraja sang through her.

Is it not a compliment, to MS?

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

MaamiAtHeart wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 19:39 1. The Sangeetha kalanidhi awardee presides over the morning lecture dem sessions - In the past decade, were these sessions attended by popular mainstream performing artists like Raga and trichur brothers? Or, are the attendees a small group of extremely serious rasikas?
They have been sporadic attendees, just like most artists who have a hectic season schedule.
The audience "seriousness" is a vague term. Some lec dems overflow, some are sparsely attended, and there's no specific trend, except perhaps "perceptions" about the topic and the person who presents it.
2. Usually, does the Sangeetha kalanidhi awardee attend every concert and sit in the front row?
There's no rule as such that they should attend every concert, and it's impossible given the awardee's own schedule. Vidwans in the past have attended diligently and the one awardee in the recent past who showed that same diligence is Dr Sowmya in 2019.

sam

Post by sam »

renditions of viribhoni varNam available on youtube, rendered prior to her religious conversion - bellowing

The transformation,, to concentrate solely in pure carnatic orthodox traditional , came around 1953. Thanks to naadabrunga , all her music academy concerts from 1955 are available only since last year.
Is there a 78 rpm record of MS rendition of viriboni varnam ? No such is available in youtube, .Kindly help in locating it.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

jodha wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:35 All sabhas the big as well as small ones offer a copyright title. I doubt whether this much furore would have raised had it been for some other sabha title.This shows the importance of MA and SK title.
Perhaps because MA is embroilled in a lot of controversies lately (specially under the control of The Hindu Group which published the toilet paper daily - which is a left centric organisation and N Ram who is always in the limelight for the wrong things) and the awardee who is more controversial that the Organization itself :lol: .

surely if it was some other sabha giving an award i doubt if this would have attarcted so much of a furore !!

sam

Post by sam »

This is news to me. Can some elders clarify?
கல்கி’ஆர்.கிருஷ்ண மூர்த்தி தனது இல்லத்திருமணத்திற்கு தந்தை பெரியாரை அழைத்திருக்கிறார் என்பதும் “நான் எப்போதும் கருப்புச்சட்டையோடுதான் இருப்பேன்.திருமணத்தின்போது கருப்புச்சட்டையோடு ஒருவர் இருப்பதை உங்கள் பெண்கள் விரும்பமாட்டார்கள், அதனால் திருமணம் முடிந்தபிறகு வருகிறேன்”என்று தந்தை பெரியார் பதிலிறுத்ததையும் ரஞ்சனிகளும் காயத்திரிகளும் அறியமாட்டார்கள்
Ranjaniand Gayathri don't know that Kalki'r Krishna.. Murthy has invited Father Periyar to his house wedding and Father Periyar replied, "I will always be in a black shirt. Your girls don't like the presence of someone in a black shirt during the wedding, so I will come after the wedding."
(Google translation).
Periyar and Rajaji were close friends.
Kalki was a devotee of Rajaji. Moreover,
EVR was a very active congrss party worker and leader before 1927. Ie before the kanchipuram congress meet. After Periyar married the second time, the DMK led by CNA parted ways from him. Though EVR used vituperative language, very little physical harm was done to brahmins in tamilnad. He was arrested and put in prison in congress government of Kamaraj.
Kalki was a congress activist throughout of Rajaji camp. So was Sri.Sadasivam.
Ranjani-gayatri are indeed courageous and desrve support. Veena Gayathri was intimidated. Times have changed.

Thyagaraja followers are right in opposing EVR for his attack on Lord Ramachandra and organizing disgusting processions denigtating Raama.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

sam wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 12:11 This is news to me. Can some elders clarify?
கல்கி’ஆர்.கிருஷ்ண மூர்த்தி தனது இல்லத்திருமணத்திற்கு தந்தை பெரியாரை அழைத்திருக்கிறார் என்பதும் “நான் எப்போதும் கருப்புச்சட்டையோடுதான் இருப்பேன்.திருமணத்தின்போது கருப்புச்சட்டையோடு ஒருவர் இருப்பதை உங்கள் பெண்கள் விரும்பமாட்டார்கள், அதனால் திருமணம் முடிந்தபிறகு வருகிறேன்”என்று தந்தை பெரியார் பதிலிறுத்ததையும் ரஞ்சனிகளும் காயத்திரிகளும் அறியமாட்டார்கள்
Ranjaniand Gayathri don't know that Kalki'r Krishna.. Murthy has invited Father Periyar to his house wedding and Father Periyar replied, "I will always be in a black shirt. Your girls don't like the presence of someone in a black shirt during the wedding, so I will come after the wedding."
(Google translation).
Periyar and Rajaji were close friends.
Kalki was a devotee of Rajaji. Moreover,
EVR was a very active congrss party worker and leader before 1927. Ie before the kanchipuram congress meet. After Periyar married the second time, the DMK led by CNA parted ways from him. Though EVR used vituperative language, very little physical harm was done to brahmins in tamilnad. He was arrested and put in prison in congress government of Kamaraj.
Kalki was a congress activist throughout of Rajaji camp. So was Sri.Sadasivam.
Ranjani-gayatri are indeed courageous and desrve support. Veena Gayathri was intimidated. Times have changed.

Thyagaraja followers are right in opposing EVR for his attack on Lord Ramachandra and organizing disgusting processions denigtating Raama.
The communal issues such as denigrating the bhramin community and the gods etc was very much started by Periyar and it was taken to the next level by the ilk, Karunanidhi and his clan. I am not sure of Anna but MGR and Jayalalitha were not destructive and they respected the bhramin community.

It is quite interesting to listen to a speech of Prof Rama Srinivasan, speaker of BJP, who said in one of the talks that there was communal clashes in one of the town or villages in the southern part of TN (between 2 communities). when the collector / senior officials went to the site to understand what and why this was happening, the heads of the villages blamed the bhramins. Perplexed with the comment, when they prodded, they said it was because all the bhramins left the village / town due to dravidian backlash and that they had not learned people to look up to and seek advise. All bhramins had apparently migrated over time. The Bhramin community was always looked up to as they were highly learned and wise. However, specially in the SOuth the dravidian goons have set a wrong narrative for theor own benefit and created huge issues.

Periyar being a close friend of Kalki or Rajaji does not make any difference as he was the main culprit. In fact Rajaji was also to be blamed, but for him Kamaraj wouldnt have lost elections in TN and the dravidians wouldnt have formed the government. He in a way was as reason too...

So let us not paint periyar as as person who did not cause harm to the bhramin community in TN !!!

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Who are all on the top tier of the Music Academy ? I was curious.

Here I see

PRESIDENT:
N. MURALI

VICE PRESIDENTS:
1. N GOPALASWAMI
2. KV KRISHNAPRASAD
3. S SANTHANAKRISHNAN
4. PRABHA SRIDEVAN
5. RAVI APPASWAMY
6. PR VENKETRAMA RAJA

TREASURER:
V BALASUBRAMANIAN

SECRETARIES:
1. Dr. MEENAKSHI KRISHNAN
2. N RAMJI
3. V SRIKANTH
4. SRIRAM V

I have no idea who is what. I think they need to be an inclusive team on top, explaining who is what in bracket with a community certificate. All you silly Rasikas - Do you think it might not have occurred to TMK that he is awarded by a bunch of the same lot who he has been bashing constantly. An award decided by a small group of the s(h)ame lot. I at first thought he would outright reject it . But wait ... I am sure he will surprise everyone in a lungi , accompanied by a bunch of his coterie from the hamlet, reject the award before everyone and shame MA for having those "all or almost all?" brahmin bunch on top, and toss away the award angrily to teach THAT coterie a lesson. That is when RaGa will realize the greatness of this man. Just wait and watch.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

The sisters respond to the head honcho.

https://twitter.com/ranjanigayatri/stat ... 1140266327

The Music Academy
Chennai

Dear Mr Murali,

We thank you for the courtesy of providing a response to our letter dated 20 March 2024.
We’d like to clarify that our letter to you was only a notification of our withdrawal without any request for your decisions or actions. We did not post the letter on social media, but merely informed our fans on the same subject. Now we realise, this didn't help you manage the optics and we are sorry about it.

Did we question your prerogative to award anyone? No
Did we exercise our prerogative to withdraw? Yes
Did we refuse to be implicit apologists for genocide mongers and filthy discourse? Yes

With your verbose answer to questions we never raised, you are trying to build a convenient narrative and cast aspersions on us. Your statements to the press in this regard are immoral and dishonest.

We were a bit surprised as to why your response reads like a release on behalf of the awardee, erasing the distinction between him and the Music Academy. But it became obvious when Mr. N. Ram, media hegemon, joined as an undeclared spokesperson, with his campaign branding us “bigoted, casteist coterie”.

We immensely respect this hallowed institution and it will be the happiest day for us and for millions of people to see star performers emerge from underprivileged communities and dominate this stage. We want to see the day when the TTK auditorium is filled up with a diverse inclusive crowd from all communities and religious minorities.

This transformation should begin at the top. Kindly start with the entrenched Executive Committee consisting of only brahmins and royalty you have been heading for 2 decades. Unlike serious hardwork and the long journey it takes for artists to excel, this transformation is achievable instantly with a simple resolution and a bunch of resignations.

Please consider leading by example, lest the world call it mere lip service and start branding you as a “bigoted, casteist coterie”.

Thanks & regards,
Ranjani & Gayatri
@musicacademyma

#musicacademy