gamakas in samples - please

To teach and learn Indian classical music
arunk

Post by arunk »

Please refer to the table at the end of this: http://www.gswift.com/article-2.html for a list of gamakas:

slides
irakka-jaru - descending slide
Etra-jaru - ascending slide

deflections (bends?)
Nokku - stress from above on successive (non-repeated) tones
Odukkal - stress from below on successive (non-repeated) tones
Kampita - oscillatio
Orikai - momentary flick, at the end of the main tone, to a higher tone

Janta (doubled notes) - Fingered Stresses
Ravai - turn from above
Sphurita - stress from below on repeated tones
Pratyahata - stress from above on repeated tones
Khandippu - sharp dynamic accent

Some questions
1. Can all these apply for vocal? Or are these instrument specific?
2. Can some experts help us identify authoritative occurences of these gamakas in the some samples i.e. which sample, which time index (or indicate it in your own sample)? You can use the samples in the swara exercises questions thread. Or even indicate where it happens in initial varnams
3. Which gamaka would say da in pa-da-sa in kAmbhOji be? odukkal?
4. Which gamaka would ga-ga in durbAr be (ri-ga-ga-ri-sa)? One of the jhanta ones?
5. Does this cover the da slide in aTANA (which has to show kakali)?
6. Are there any missing? I remember a vALi in relation to Ahiri.

Showing where these occur in samples (specially for vocal, but instrumental if not applicable for vocal) would be most helpful

Thanks
Arun

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, arunk, Even though I have seen this post on 24th itself I could not reply as I was in a hurry to go to Tirupati and came back yesterday only. More over, I am expecting somebody or other will answer your post, which nobody did.
Mainly, while 15 or 10 Gamakas are furnished in our treatises, in your post, in all, only 10 varieties are furnished that too even without any symbols at all. Of course, all these varieties have to be applied to Vocal or Instrumental alike. But, while the Kaishiki-nishada alone is having 27 facets of Kampitas or Gamakas depending upon the combination with another note/s, how one can say that these above varieties are sufficient to cater our needs. Keeping all such things in view, I have categorized and symbolized them arriving at a total number of 60 varieties among which each symbol resembles only the travel of its sound but not any ant or dog or pig etc. In such aspects, even though they are named after a technical-term basing upon the choice of a particular language, music-phrases or the respective symbols will never change and could easily be followed by one and all. Presently, I am in the project of bringing out another mp3 CD in place of the old mp3 CD uploaded to http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~chandra/ in which many more useful things to the aspirants are included along with individual audio tracks, pdf files for all these 27 facets of Kaishiki-nishada or 60 symbols and symbolized Varnas with individual tracks for Pallavi, Anupallavi, Muktayi-svara, Charana and Ettugada-svaras. In a couple of months I may be able to bring out this mp3 CD for the benefit of all our aspirants of Karanataka-music and our brother-member, vasanthakokilam has to help me again in uploading and replacing it. I hope, this gives you a clearer picture of all our Kampitas and Gamakas. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 01 Oct 2007, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

msakellaji, thanks very much. That would be of monumental importance, significance and learning aid for the CM community. I/we will do whatever is needed to upload the contents to an accessible location once it is ready. Thanks again.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, Extremely glad and thank you very much for your prompt and positive response. Immediately after getting it ready I shall inform you and you have to arrange not only in getting it from me but also in uploading and replacing it. amsharma.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks a lot msakellaji (i missed seeing your first reply - sorry for the delay). I look forward to this new project of yours. It would indeed be a very valuable asset to all of us.

Arun