LAYA VIDYALAA TO REOPEN ON APRIL 14

To teach and learn Indian classical music
param

Post by param »

Dear All,

I am immensely moved by what I got to hear from you all - Thank you very much for your support.

As desired I will start uploading text and information about links from April 14 onwards. Links will be sent to those who desire it by e-mail ONLY. It could be from both Commercial and Non-Commercial recordings. However, since this is being used ONLY for the purpose of EDUCATION - I do not think we are committing any offence.

Look forward to your unstinted support always. Thank you once again.

Parameswaran Iyer
irdgr8@yahoo.com

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Looking forward to it Paramji... Thanks.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sri param
Looking forward to it...

kiransurya79@yahoo.co.in

ajsriram

Post by ajsriram »

Count me in,
ajsriram@gmail.com

Btw, do i have to send a mail to irdgr8@yahoo.com ??
please tell me..

Regards
Sriram J. Iyer.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

THAT's the spirit!
THANKS!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Sriram

Now our trust in our Faculty has gone quite high and be plesed to:
Lead Kindly Light

jaisrikrishna

Post by jaisrikrishna »

Hi paramji

plz do send me the links

my email id is maduraikrishna@gmail.com

thanks
krishna

resvap

Post by resvap »

I had added my mail-id before but I donno why I cann't see it now so am adding it again. I would be much pleased if you would take me into this class. Eagarly waiting for the permission and also for the class.
My id is srislg@yahoo.com

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Paramji,

One more student.....
sujibal@yahoo.com

meena

Post by meena »

the 14th has come and gone, shishyas are getting restless ;)

vasanthakokilam

Paramji: Are we doing the email thing or right here in this thread?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

yea! The ides of April have come and gone!

param

Post by param »

I am terribly helpless - my computer has gone for a toss - I have a few things lined up for upload. But due to some serious problem on my PC - it keeps rebooting every five minutes making my life miserable. Work at office has increased which gives me very little time to even browse the net.

Hopefully a brand new windows xp software CD should do the trick - please bear with me till then.

Thanks for your understanding

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Of course we all understand! We will wait patiently!
Goodluck with your computer! By the by Happy new year greetings to you in anticipation of all the time you are spending for the preparations!

lakshmi2691

Post by lakshmi2691 »

I am interested my email id being lakshmi2691@yahoo.com

param

Post by param »

Dear All,

As a moderator of this section, I wish to keep things very clear that only serious 'students' attend the class - I am very bad at imposing punishments

I would request all new students to write me a small brief of their involvement in music - i.e. how they are connected, how deeply involved, are you a singer (I do not wish to use the word vocalist :twisted: ), a violinist or a percussionist. Or merely a rasika trying to get yourself enlightened. Also would appreciate a note about who your current or erstwhile teacher is and how long you have been connected with music.

You may write to me at irdgr8@yahoo.com and I will definitely keep you on my mailing list when ever I send links for downloading what I upload - it could both general or commercial, but only for the sake of educating. This way, the forum functions smoothly and there is no crying "Wolf" for any reasons whatsoever.

Look forward to reading a lot of e-mails soon.

With warm regards,

Parameswaran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

very good idea Param!
Again if the blurb is public the students too get to know each other. Of course everybody have the right to their privacy. we all wish to be in the company of only dedicated students seriously interested in learning the intricacies of the Laya Art. Again the attitude ought to be 'AcArya devO bhava' in the vedic tradition as otherwise 'vidyA na bhAsatE', the teaching is wasted.

here is my background

savsti|

as a septuagenarian I have all along been a rasika who lived among and heard the great masters of CM of the last century. Once enrolled in the SvAti tiruNAL music academy (under SSI) but never went through any program. Strong interest in the theory of CM with only a very basic knowledge of Laya Theory. Good 'kELvi g~naanaM' but lots of 'holes' due to lack of a formal training! Passionate about innovations in CM! Hence at this point in life the interest is more 'intellectual' than 'practical' (too weak to practise also!).

contact: cmlover@rogers.com (only for Prof and Fellow Students)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Param

Sri Gurubhyonamah:
I have ~10 yrs of formal training in Music(Vocal-Carnatic/western and Violin-western style) and ~5 yrs informal training

mail: kiransurya79@yahoo.co.in

param

Post by param »

I would have much liked CML and KS remaining silent - we all know you. The reason for this posting was to keep "VOCALISTS" out of the mailing lists and to know "more" of new "shishyaas" enrolling by the day.

I thought as a moderator of this thread, I had to play a dual role.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

param

The idea was to promote comaraderie among the students enrolled in the vidyalaya. Almost like a class-room (must have said gurukulam). You must of course enforce strict discipline and 'eject' the miscreants!

resvap

Post by resvap »

Aacharya Devo Bhava!

I got formal training in Carnatic music(Vocal, Veena and Violin) . I like a "chataka" bird am eagarly waiting for the drops of divine Carnatic music .

mail: srislg@yahoo.com

kkumar29

Post by kkumar29 »

Hi,

I am in my mid fifties and has been a long time rasika of Carnatic music. To understand and appreciate the nuances of CM even more I am currently learning vocal music and veena. I have had a few lessons in mridangam playing but had to give up due to the fact that I developed tendonitis in my arm.

My interest is to learn something more about the art of playing the mridangam so I can enjoy the many variations that mridangam artists display in concerts.

my email id is: kkumar29@comcast.net

param

Post by param »

A humble request to all - Please also write the name of your Gurus who imbibed (or atleast made an attempt to) you into music. This way, we all get to know each other better musically.

vasanthakokilam

Here are my details:

Name: Chandramouli

Practical Music Education: 3-4 years on Flute ( '79-'83 ).

Guru: Shri. Singarachari, Kattangulathur, Tamil Nadu. ( disciple of Shri. Mali ).

Mainly a rasika.

pinkchry

Post by pinkchry »

I have no formal training in carnatic music. However I have been listening for a long time and wish to understand more about it - esp, the layam part.

email id is pinkchry@hotmail.com

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

name Kulkarni SM
Formal Knowledge of Music NIL.
Thala, laya .. Practically scared about these aspects of music.
In fact I have a deep sense of inferiority complex when I see people around me keep thalam and enjoying it.
Personally dont like the mridangam when it is tuned for higher pitches (that is when they make sounds as though one is tapping on a table with a stick).I cannot appreciate the main performance even, on such occasions.
also cannot enjoy the music when there is too much of calculations and lots of laya instruments performing simultaneously(happens quite regularly with TRS , Somu ...)

I have a special place in my heart for the Khanjira though I cannot say the same for a Ghatam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Of late I have taken an interest in composing music for dance so a better understanding of laya would be very useful!
Mohan,
Can you post some of your dance compositions under the dance music thread? I would love to hear some new compositions.
Ravi

ammamaha

Post by ammamaha »

Namaskaram Shri Param
Have learnt vocal music for about 10 years under Shri Ratnakaran Bhagavathar of Trivandrum. For last 10 years or so, not much sadhakam. However, listen to music every single day while driving to work. Music is my passion.Not very familiar with talam intricacies, but can manage to keep basic talam. Eagerly waiting for classes to start and seeking your blessings.
Shobha

resvap

Post by resvap »

I had started learning music from Sri Rama Devi but only for few years. My interested had grown up after seeing my Guruji Sri Yenamandra Srinivas garu singing and playing veena. I am "Yekalavya" sishya of my guruji in CM. Now I practise by myself, that's why I keep on asking notations(Thanks to Mr.Lakshman, Mr. Kiran, Ms.Meena and everyone who are helping me to learn). I am eagarly waiting to learn more.

ramamrutham

Post by ramamrutham »

Hi Param Sir,

I am Vijay Iyengar. I am based in Stockholm, Sweden.
I am a student of Smt Jambu Kannan. I am one of Sri TNS's Bangalore shishyas. That was 6 years ago. I am also a student of SRJ Mama.(Thanks to Ashwin)

Namaskaarams
Ramamrutham.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Mohan,
Can you post some of your dance compositions under the dance music thread? I would love to hear some new compositions.
Ravi
Done - see the dance music thread.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Music: Learning for the past 16 years. Started Western Violin and moved to Carnatic Violin. Now, its full time vocal. Learning from M R Srinivasan , who learnt from TRS and S Ramanathan

Artistes : GNB,SSI,ARI,MLV,Radha&Jayalakshmi,TRS,TNS,Voleti..

Ragas : All : specifically, Vivadhis

Interetsed in learning : Compositions of Vasudevachar,HMB, Veena Kupp., Mysore Sadasiva Rao and rare others

venravi

Post by venravi »

My Details: Ravi Venkatasubramanian,
Learnt Mridangam from Shri.Tiruvarur Krishnamurthy during my school days and then from Mannargudi Sri Easwaran during my college days. Still learning from my guru when ever I visit India. I am trying to learn more techniques .
Find this site very useful and looking forward to learn. Want to be a student always.
Perform in music programs in and around Harrisburg area.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

NAME: R.Raja Chandra
Formal Knowledge of Music NIL.
email:r_rajachandra@yahoo.co.in

jaisrikrishna

Post by jaisrikrishna »

My name is krishnamoorthy ramakrishnan.

I would like to know and enjoy what sri thyAgayya delightfully praises as

"sogasuga mridanga tAlamu" . He himself has said that one has to know the rhythmic patters in order to play or listen and enjoy the sounds of mrudangam. It would be really great if you can be my guru enlightening the nuances of such a great art through your e- lessons/ guides.

I hope you would add me to your mailing list.

My email id is maduraikrishna@gmail.com

Please check my blogs

http://krischronicles.blogspot.com

and

http://saptharathnas.blogspot.com

Many thanks
krishna

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Jaisrikrishna!!
Your blog spots are quite good. Keep it up...

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

My details:
Name: Badri Narayanan V R
Musical Background: Nothing! (J~nAna SUNyaM!) I love Indian music in general....Enjoy anything that touches my heart....am greatly interested in learning about layam in particular....(tALam pODA kUDa teriyAdu!)
E-mail: vrbadri@rediffmail.com

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

About myself.
Formal training: 3 years in Violin and Vocal. Learnt from Smt Lalita in Hyd few years ago. Inspired into learning Violin from Grand Uncle Jaggu Mama who is a self-taught fiddler, who has even designed strange looking violins.
Presently learning(self) from few invisible gurus in cyberspace.

I am based in Seattle.
BTW, in which time-zone will the classes be held? :?

jaisrikrishna

Post by jaisrikrishna »

Hi kiransurya

Am glad that you liked it

I will be updating the "Saptharathnas " blog at least a couple of times every month.

YOu might want to keep an eye on that blog.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sure.. Thank you..

param

Post by param »

Good news - I have been to do some work myself on the PC and is now partly restored - can browse the contents - though the XP CD did give up a few warning windows. Have asked our IT chief to lend me a registered copy - and once that is done, I think matters should be back on path.

-- To begin with, I propose to upload 3-4 tani avartanams fully, then start explaining what the whole episode is in bits with samples wherever necessary. Such as, what a tha din gi na thom is and how it sounds in Kandam, Thisram, Misram, and Sankeernam.

-- Then let us discuss how each thani avartanam could be broken down - in respect of the jaadis - I remember there was a mismatch of timings when I write about Upendran sir's tani at Sangeetham. Hence would prefer to break the thani into parts and then upload these parts with explanations.

-- Then let us take up Korvais and then the Periya Mohras.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO:
-- Ask questions as and when necessary (though I would prefer these to be done by e-mails so that the flow is not disturbed here
-- Let me know if you need any further explanations, etc.

I hope you will all appreciate what I propose to do.

CML, SMK, VK - Please do write what you feel

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Good we are getting ready!
It is important to have the timeline clearly identified so that we can play and get the subtle points. Some of us (me) are slow in getting the points. In that context it is better to address the questions freely in the Forum so that everybody get the point cleared. Of course the Prof can choose to answer a point through e-mail or correct any personal misunderstandings. Since the class is large we have to make sure that we don't digress and get lost. Prof has to monitor the discussions strictly.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Good to know that its gonna start soon. We are all warming up...

vasanthakokilam

Paramji: Sounds like a great plan. Thanks. We are ready.

Since the enrollees' CM experience and education is quite broad, it should be
emphasized that these lessons are meant for beginners. That is the stated goal
of the first few lessons. So, we request the more experienced rasikas to not get
bored since they may know all this already but stick around and contribute
constructively to this collective learning effort.

ajit

Post by ajit »

Hi,
I am very much interested in being part of these discussions and learning more.

I am a flautist and have learnt from Smt. N. Kesi and have been Dr. Ramani's student
for the past 7 years.

Have learnt a little bit of Mridangam also from Sri Palaninathan and occasionally from Sri C.S. Sankarasivam.

My email id is ajit_krishnan@hotmail.com.

ajit.

param

Post by param »

Dear all,

To begin with the next set of discussions on the tani avartanams - lets listen two a series ot tani avartanams first. Here are two tanis one featuring Upendran sir with Harishankar and the other featuring KR Mani sir with Harishankar.

http://rapidshare.de/files/19505164/Tan ... hankar.mp3
http://rapidshare.de/files/19505216/Tan ... hankar.mp3

During the course of this week, I will upload a few other tanis more so that we could take up one by one for discussions in line with what was decided hereinabove.

Best wishes,

meena

Post by meena »

Guruji

I was looking fwd. to the basics lessons first :(

Now i'm still lost, what to listen and discuss, i dont get it???

pl. keep in mind u have 'a student' who has no clue and considers 'tani' is time to take a break for hot chai :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Param
It is nice to have the lessons u/led so that we listen to them ahead. May I suggest that all these be done in a new thread so that we don't get them mixedup with other postings. We need to have the discussions systematically without distractions. This is 'learning stuff' and not appreciation stuff! The timelines are very crucial. I notice the recordings are in Stereo. Is the stereo information crucial (I mean the two channels have different info?). We alos need some basic guidance as to what to watchfor while listening!

param

Post by param »

Meena and CML,

While I appreciate yor concerns, I would like to draw your attention to what I had mentioned last week.

-- To begin with, I propose to upload 3-4 tani avartanams fully, then start explaining what the whole episode is in bits with samples wherever necessary. Such as, what a tha din gi na thom is and how it sounds in Kandam, Thisram, Misram, and Sankeernam.

-- Then let us discuss how each thani avartanam could be broken down - in respect of the jaadis - I remember there was a mismatch of timings when I write about Upendran sir's tani at Sangeetham. Hence would prefer to break the thani into parts and then upload these parts with explanations.

-- Then let us take up Korvais and then the Periya Mohras.

When I put up the above suggestion, all the students welcomed the suggestion and now when I have uploaded two tanis - we seem to be lost.

Now I seek a clear understanding from all of you - teaching layam in a virtual maner is indeed difficult - I am sure all mridangam players around here will agree with me - teaching in a live class involves different basic lessons spread over a period of 8 -15 months then slowly move on to a little advanced farans and then to periya mohras to korvais and then to different jaadis, talams, etc.

Whereas in a virtual vidyalaya this is not the same. To help one understand we require sounds - where shall I derive these sounds from?? I thought I will take up tanis - first upload the whole tani - then break it up into bits and pieces and then explain to you what each broken portion is all about. I am doing everything possible to see that I deliver 200% through this virtual school and this sort of irritatants is what I want to avoid. Meena, if the start of the tani is time for a tea-break, better enjoy the tea rather than the tani, because, tani is pure percussion. If you seek pure basic lessons, tell me what you mean. Do you want me to upload exact lessons - for example -

The Basics:
Tha and Thom are the two basic strokes for the left side (or the bass side)
Thee and Nam are the two basic strokes for the right side (or the tonal side)
Tha and Thom are played at the opposite ends. Tha is a harsh stroke while Thom is a soft stroke. Both these strokes involve the four fingers while the thumb is kept at the side to give support - keeping the palm straight.
Thee is played with four fingers in the center of the black portion with the thumb bent and giving support.
Nam requires a little technique which can be explained with the assistance of a picture only. Verbally, I would explain it thus, keep your palm covering the entire right hand side and slowly draw it back towards you. At one point you will find the ring finger touching the portion between the black portion and the vettu thatu - i.e. the portion of the skin on the top. Stop moving the palm there. While retaining the ring finger there, spread the fingers. Lift the little finger and the middle finger - these are not used in producing the sound Nam. Now with the index finger play on the top portion (vettu thatu).

All these sounds will come only out of practice and close guidance and watchful eyes of the teacher. Now over to the basic four lessons.

The first one -
THA - THEE - THOM - NAM. THA - THEE - THOM - NAM.
The second lesson
THA - THA - THEE - THEE - THOM - THOM - NAM - NAM
The third lesson
THA - THA - THA - THEE - THEE - THEE - THOM - THOM
THOM - NAM - NAM - NAM. THA - THA - THA - THEE -
THEE - THEE - THOM - THOM - THOM - NAM - NAM - NAM.
The fourth lesson
THA - THA - THA - THA - THEE - THEE - THEE - THEE -
THOM - THOM - THOM - THOM - NAM - NAM - NAM - NAM

and so on.

If this is what you want - then tell me so - but let me also tell you even If I propose to publish for lessons each day, this would go on for over one year.

This is the first attempt I am making in trying to share the miniscule knowledge that I have - with people located at various places over the globe - in a bid to understand what the mridangam is - what are the different phrases called, what is sounds like, what a tani avarthanam is, etc.

If this is not what you people wish to know, let me know in detail - draw out a list of items that you would like me to explain - with specific mention of the format of examples, and I shall try my best to do so. Such as, if it is pictures for the different finger positions while playing a stroke - I will try and take pictures with my digital camera and upload the same. If it is sounds, I will record the same - convert it and upload the same. If it is prose - I will write out the lessons and then upload the same.

My knowledge on digital music is very very limited - I do not reall understand how a stereo recording is different from a mono recording. I would request the experts on this thread to explain this first on different thread.

Your postings please......

param

Post by param »

My apologies for the long long post - but I had to convey everything in one posting to lay emphasis