Meaning of "jnAna vairAgya"

History, religion and culture
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

This may be trivial to some, but I wondered what is the meaning behind the term, "jnAna vairAgya." svAti tirunAL has composed quite a number of songs under this theme. In the pUjA sankalpa, one asks for this as a prayer wish as well.

krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

Jnana (Viveka/Discrimination) and Vairagya (Dispassion) are considered as 2 of the steps of 'Sadhana Chatushtayam' which is an essential qualification on the path to Atma-Jnana (to attain Moksha). The person with these four-fold qualification is considered as an 'adhikari' (an eligible student). This is enumerated in the text 'Tattva Bodha' of Sri Adi Sankara.

Vivekam is the discrimination required to know our real goal (Shreyas or Moksha) as compared to Preyas (Dharma, Artha, Kama). The four put together makes the 'Chatur vidha purushartha' or the four-fold human goals. It is also about 'nitya-anitya vastu viveka' or discrimination of what is permanent and temporary.

Viveka leads to Vairagya or dispassion with regard to Preyas and pushes up the priority for Shreyas. Preyas becomes only a means to attain Shreyas.

Pranams

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I just got to review this post and thank you for the explanation. I am guessing then this concept is almost close to the statement "aham brahmAsmi" i.e. in order to be one with the divine.
bhagavadpAda has elucidated vivEka in his vivEka cUDAmaNi.
Last edited by kmrasika on 30 May 2008, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.