Sujatha passes away

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the appropriate place. Since the crowd here is pretty decent , I thought I will
write here about Sujatha. So please write what you feel if you join my feelings.

I have read so many of his short stories and novels, his essays. He came very close
to Kalki in terms of skills but in a science based and thrill based novels. Offcourse his other stories are
also great. He had a career in movies as well as script writer. His orignality and fluence of language
always will impress and it is a style that is easy to identify.

He was not as knowledgeble as Kalki in CM music. But he always used to write about it as he is impressed by it.
I remember a novel by him, called Sorga Theevu, came around 1970s, in dinamanikathir , where a scientist is
kidnapped to an island controlled by an autocrat leader and by his huge computer system. The kidnapped scientist is asked to
fix a software program. Scientist is put up in a hotel. And there everything is automatic. To spend time, a computer
asks him what song to play, and he says "kapinarayani ragam , sarasasama dhana by MMI".
I wanted to hear that song at that time and we didnot have any sound system at that time, and two years later
I heard that in AIR with the MMI swara webs. I was impressed by MMI on that day and till date, I keep hunting
for his songs. I used to hunt for songs with swara prastharams. What a different impact from one such casual
writing. Later I started liking CM as a whole. Thanks to Sujatha.

I feel his death is very sudden and I feel very sad for him , for us for not to have got more of him.
In any case, god should make sure that all great people should live longer without much problems.
Last edited by rajaglan on 28 Feb 2008, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

quite a sad thingy as well...

may his soul rest in peace.

heartfelt condolences.

my personal favourite is 'Srirangathu devathaigal'

arasi

Post by arasi »

A distinguished tamizh writer is no more.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

A fantastic tamil novelist, extremely knowledgeable on matters relating to science and computers. It is indeed a great loss to youngsters with whom he had a great rapport. May his soul rest in peace. My condolences to the family.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Is there any subject in the world,he does not know?this is the best compliment I can think of at the moment, his occasional reference to cricket matches in srirangam will remind me of malgudi days he was also a fan of OPNayyar' s music , just like me . has mentioned about it in some stories . may his soul rest in peace , our heartfelt sympathies to his family members gobilalitha

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Yes, indeed its a great loss to many of his fans who admired his style of writing,his depth of knowledge.His articles on paasurams are so good.Our condolences to the bereaved family.

balu

Post by balu »

my favourite is kakitha changligal. it is a great loss.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I used to read his novels quite a bit. This is a great loss. Ganesh and Vasanth live on and through them Sujatha will too.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A great loss to the world of Tamizh Literature. Condolences to his family members.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

It is indeed a great loss for any Tamilian who loves reading books. He is too good on any subject. Those who do not know him, some points.

He studies his graduation from Joseph college-Trichy where Abdul Kalamm was his class-mate.

He deviced Electronic Voting Machine while he was working in BEL, Bangalore. Now it is part of our Electrion procedure.

Winner of Kalaimamani award, He, like his college friend, wanted to educate the next generation through his writings. His writings are very simple. lucid and even a complicated topic like brain, nano-tech and value engineering etc are answered clearly with humor. Sad to see his demise.

There is a condolence meeting on Sunday in NGS. More details are in this.

http://www.sujathalogy.com/

Like Sujatha said-about Kannadasan (I mentioned this in rasikas some time before)- “Kannadasan lived his life like his song “Engeyum Eppodum Sangeetham Sandhoshamâ€

vijay

Post by vijay »

Condolences

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

My heart felt condolences to the family. I should mention here that Sujatha was the only guest who wanted Dr. Bennet to play the western jazz purcussion , enjoyed and appreciated it when he visited Geetha bennet in US. This was mentioned by her in one of the tamil magazines few years back.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

Even I share the my condolences for the great soul. It was shocking. I used write rarely few emails to him which I used to get a reply within 24 hours. Though I lost contacts with Tamil novel and magazines, Sujatha is an Iconic figure. There are few I consider for creating interest in Tamil. Sujatha is one such. It is a real loss.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

My eyes were moist when I heard the shocking news. I was one of those who 'grew up' with his stories through adolescence. It was amazing to think that one could write such science fiction stories in Tamil. Vasanth was a role model for any one who read his stories during the teen times. His 'en edarkku eppadi' was the only reason we used to buy junior vikatan. But his Jeeno character would live for long. It induced interest in Tamil , Science, computers and at the same time. Who could have thought of a dog character from future, from time to time quips Tirukkural ! I was really hoping he would write a few more Ganesh-Vasanth stories. His Tirukkural translation was very simple to understand. With his sudden loss, I feel like part of my 'growing up times' is lost.. He not only wrote short stories, he knew to appreciate the best ones which he translated and published sometimes.

May he rest in peace !