Brigha - Etymology

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

What is the linguistic etymology for the word brigha used in music?

I tried the root bhRg but no luck. Can anyone help?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

I doubt if the word birka/ briga/ brigha has a sanskrit etymology at all. The word for it is 'sphuritha' as seen in the sangeetha Sampradaya Pradarshini.

Another word used by vidwans of the past was 'Ravai'. (Yes, pronounced like the thing upma is made of) A voice/style with many birkas was called a Ravai jathi ShAreeram. I suspect birka to be a Tamskrit concoction.(Tamil + sanskrit, like Yaddhecche for Yaddrucchaya)

vainika

Post by vainika »

Thanks for raising this.

From the description of sphuritam in SSP it appears to me that sphuritam and its avarOhaNa equivalent pratyAghAtam as per veena technique are essentially gamakas associated with jhaNTa svaras. While rendering these vocally one needs definition on the second note, but is this the same as bhruga? I don't think so, but am open to persuasion.

On the other hand, Ahatam and its varieties ravai and khaNDippu appear to better describe bhrugas.

arasi

Post by arasi »

ravai (semolina used in making uppumA) came with the verb 'puraLugiRadu'. The verb means--to turn and toss. Grit gurgling in one's voice?? Sounds not so refined, but the effect is evinced in GNB's, Rafi's voices...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi
Do you mean 'uruLugiRadu' (rolling and tossing) ?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

but the effect is evinced in GNB's, Rafi's voices...
Not sure if you can describe Rafi's voice as Ravai. It's closer to veNNai (butter).
A few ravai artistes: Chittoor, Chembai, Tiger... Sanjay amongst today's artistes

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
uruTTugiRadu is used when a vocalist makes rolling sounds whereas 'ravai' in SArIram (voice) is a naturral quality.

ragam talam,
GNB had ravai in his voice and he did uruttals too occasionally and the ravai Rafi possessed was of a different kind.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Rava in sanskrit means sound, and can be used in the context of both pleasant and unpleasant sounds : Kala-rava is sweet sound, usually synonymous with birds' chirping; KantI-rava is an epithet for the lion since he has a deep(throated) call. This might be a possible etymology of ravai in the musical context; but we aren't any closer to the pedigree of our elusive 'birka'.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

There is a thread in the General Discussions section, I think, in which Muni Rao has mentioned that this word originated, during Sri Muthuswami Dikshitar's time, from the english word "brisk", which was used to refer to the short fast-paced bursts of notes that were a characteristic of the the musical compositions performed by the western bands stationed in Tamil Nadu in those days.

Though I am not aware of any citations to this claim, it is certainly fascinating.

Update: Found the thread. See post# 23: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... vocal.html

Update2: Looks like I inadvertantly made up the time of origin of the term. In his post, Muni Rao does not mention MD, or even "western music". I probably was unconsciously linking "english" with "western music" and MD's times, as indeed that was when CM was influenced by WM.
Last edited by girish_a on 13 Dec 2009, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.