HARIKATHAS

History, religion and culture
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Chembai

This could be a separate Forum topic wherein we can upload and discuss various Harkathas and exponents. Pl help move this appropriately once the forum is created.

Friends

Let us upload "legal" harikathas as well as information on Harikatha exponents here and discuss related points. Since the language becomes important here, there may be a need for hints for non-linguists to appreciate the presentations. Of course CM will be appreciated irrespective of the language. Hence please help the listener to appreciate the fine points. Thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

here is an old gem of Balakrishna SastrigaL namely 'Gita MahaatmyaM'. Though it is in Tamil since most of the verses are in Sanskrit one should not have any difficulty. The music is mostly viruttam based and is simply divine. Do post your views and appreciations. The link is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=162S1ZJD

This is a fairly large file (78meg) and we would like to know how long it takes you to download. Please also let us know if you have difficulty using mega. We all have to live with mega and rapidshare until Ramakrishnan finds us a permanent solution :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

starting the venus colony performance

01-Gurulekha
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=061EYC3K

02-Tharak nama
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=06A4HBC4

03-nada thanumanisam
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=16ZIVHQJ

abadri

Post by abadri »

cmlover,

There seems to be a problem with the upload.
When I click on the link you've posted, I see a
message that says:-
Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available.

Thanks.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

abadri
You are right. I don't understand how it happened. That was the link given by megaupload! I will split the file and upload to rapidshare soon (since they have a 50meg per file limit). Thanks for the feedback

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

Right now mega is very, very, very slooooowwww -- only 1.1 Kb per sec. awful :frown:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

here is the rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.de/files/2616107/Gita ... 1.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/2616194/Gita ... 2.mp3.html

coolkarni/others

mega is unreliable :cry: It simply swallows the file and gives a pseudo download code.

Also as poongavur reports the download is mega mega slow (I am getting 2KB/sec) and the download time for coolkarni's first file is estimated at 3hrs :frown:
I recommend we should stick to rapidshare for the present. Pl post your comments. Thanks

chithra

Post by chithra »

Hi folks:

Megaupload is fine now, and it was OK last evening too. The average download speed seemed to be about 400 KB/sec, but earlier it was an abyssmal 1 to 2 KB/Sec. So, please don't give up on it.

Thanks for the harikatha dwnlods - they are very good.

Chithra

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

rapidshare has shut me out-no upload in progress-
sure, it is a conspiracy .
i will keep uploading on mega .let us observe for a week.
hopefully if rapidshare gets back to normal ,someone will reroute these mega tracks through rapid,here.
cml.
some problems may be related to file size, as you suspected.let us stick to 30mb max for some time

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

Well, it improved for a short time (I was able to download "nada thanumanisam" in about 3 min) but has slowed down again -- still struggling to get "thaye yasode" is taking about 4 hours finish (rate 1.28 kb/sec). So at the very least mega is mega-erratic :?:

Rapidshare, on the otherhand, seems more predictable 8)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

The other option is to use yousendit.com. It is fast and efficient. Only problem is, it will be there for only a week. At any rate our clients are mostly regulars and will download during that window. In case there is a latecomer we can help them by reloading it or sending it through yousendit, Also if you keep updating the master list you are putting up, one will know what is available. Also as we buildup more members we will start having exchanges among them and thus relieving you the trouble of frequent uploads.

I am also interested in more discussions so that we enjoy the fine points in company. That will take place as we start attracting experts as well as learners of CM to this site. Future looks promising :D

chithra

Post by chithra »

Instead of using external sites, how about peer-to-peer technolgy, like Torrents for file sharing. We can easily synchronise acoss time zones, as long as we plan ahead. All we need to do is upload the announce URL in a separate torrents page, and off we go!

Chithra

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

this subject has been discussed before and let me see if i can sum it up for you -
There has been a lot of experimentation going around over here.But the fundamental goal seems to be (if the members responses are an indication) a moderate level of exchange leading to a healthy allround discussion of the subject.
I have been collecting music in mp3 format for about 6 years now and i am aware that there are a lot of people with atleast 50 gb worth of music-enough to last a few lifetimes even if we go through it once.
But the aspect of CM that fascinates me is that it has so many dimensions-techniques, composers,kritis,deities and the temples,schools,philosophy,grammar-that you cannot help noticing that this is turning out into a virtual schooll.
let me take a personal example(like the one with you for varnams)
I have no clue on laya aspects.
I once went to a concert of trichy Venkataraman at sastri hall (i hope then name is right)-15 minutes into the pallavi, T rukmini admitted she was struggling ( all was in good humour - not to be seen as a measure of the artist) and another 45 minutes into it, Mannargudi eswaran jokingly announced, "one can sing these, difficult to reproduce on the mridangam-and all the while he was talking intricate maths.
every now and then the whole hall would erupt into a wah wah (all except me )

Now you can see there was no hope for a fellow like me.I like all mridangam tanis for reasons I cannot fathom.But I think i can make some progress in forums like these.Just listen to a clip and read someone explain that very part !
I am aware That all the people who post and watch here are serious collectors enthusiasts in their own right with formidable stocks of muisc of their own .And hence the accent would be on pinpoint accuracy in terms what needs to be shared rather than bulk transfer.
any mode of transfer will have to address these.

I solicit more opinions on the way we have been going about.
Peer to peer will be probably better if i have to share only with CML,Meena,Divakar, parvathi and afew others.
but the number of views and downloads tells a different story.
cml.everytime you post a comment, i notice a flurry of downloads over my rapidshare report. :lol: :lol:

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

cmlover, Just finished listening to Balakrishna Sastrigal's Gitamahatmyam. It is absolutely divine. Thank you and I hope you can upload more such recordings :cheesy:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

poongavur

I am short of non-commercial recordings. I lived my early days in India when recording technology was notyet invented and I had the privilege of listening to the stalwarts in person. But now I am at the receiving end re-living my golden moments. For that I am eternally grateful to raju, kulkarni and others who are magnanimously sharing their treasures. I will certainly upload what little I have after making sure I am not violating copyrights. Incidentally my father who was one of the greatest collectors (he even had a copy of Maha vaidhyanatha Iyer's only recording) lost the whole treasure during the second world war at Burma (but he saved his greatest treasure (me :D )).

coolkarni

I am with you all the way. What is the use of collecting and distributing unless there is a discussion? We have to urge the silent collectors to talk about Music.

Just now we have completed a century in membership.

CONGRATULATIONS CHEMBAI

and thanks for opening this glorious channel of communication!

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

coolkarni, just listened to the Nada Thanumanisam from the Venus Colony harikathas you up loaded today (yesterday? whatever). May be soon I will get a chance to listen the others. Thanks for those jems. Finally I got all three (mega challenge!)

Oh, thanks also for Somu's ranjani. I guess LGJ is on violin?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

lalgudi-you are right.we will see much of him and chandru by thetime we close the thread on somu

kutty

Post by kutty »

Hi

I am sorry that I am unable to devote my time entirely for this forum as I have a lot of other commitments though I love extremely to devote all my waking hours to Carnatic Music and a fully devoted forum like this and its knowledgable adminstrator and members.

Coming to the point, I agree with Chithraa and find megaupload is better than rapidshare as it consumes less manhours, provided you have broadband connection. I think those who complain about it must be having the slow dialup connection.
As suggested by Coolkarni if you limit your file size it should work well.

Let us watch it for sometime before discarding it on the basis of one or two downloads.

kutty

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

kutty, I have a DSL connection and I can say emphatically that my experience with mega leaves much to be desired in terms of d/l speed. IMO, it is highly erratic in its behavior and, hence, unpredictable.

kutty

Post by kutty »

Poongavur

It was a presumption only. I have ADSL technology here and so far did not find any trouble. May be it is a stray case. My suggestion was to watch and discard if found useless for long. I hope you would agree

kutty

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

download speed depends on the server. If the pujaari is doling out using an uddharaNI it doesn't help even if you have a kuDaM :D

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

second instalment of venus colony performance

http://rapidshare.de/files/2628081/04-E ... S.MP3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/2628405/05-B ... A.MP3.html

ttp://rapidshare.de/files/2724164/06-ATANA--MUDDUMOMU--KADDANUVARIKI.MP3.html

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

The wretched rapidshare gives me the following message since this morning.

"... This IP 71.0.18.232 is not allowed to use the free-service anymore today. We detected very extreme downloads. Don't worry! This has not to be your fault. ..." :x

Seems like the pujari has stopped doling out :cheesy:

Don't know how long before I am allowed back to download. So, it is a dry day, I guess.

How much I look forward to the x-drive :!:

meena

Post by meena »

poongavur

pl take sometime to reads our all our earlier threads/discussions, we have shared how to d/l from rapidshare- just need patience :)

BTW after d/l the clips that interest u all we/i hope that all share, discuss and enjoy- the whole idea of u/l the clips is/was for this purpose alone!

correct me if i am wrong.

poongavur

Post by poongavur »

thanks meena. I'll be patient & try to discuss CM.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This is an excerpt from an interview with the amazing TNS:
What next, after Divya Prabandham?

TNS: My interest in Alwar Pasurams has helped me in my Harikatha performances. The research I have done on Divya Prabandham music, makes my presentations informative. A Harikatha in Kamba Ramayanam is the next. This will be during Rama Navami festival (April 5 to 9) for Hamsadhwani in Chennai.
Was anyone privileged to attend this? If so, can it be reviewed please? Commercial recordings available??
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Here is a very nice review of harikathe by TNS on kambarAmAyaNam posted by saroja on carnatica
. Madurai T N Seshagopalan gave a rare treat to his rasikas by doing the harikatha on Kambaramayana for five days at Hamsadhwani from 5th to 9th of April2006. It was like triveni sangamam with the lyrics of Kamban flowing like the holy Ganges, the eloquence of Seshagopalan was like the cool waters of Yamuna while his music was the antarvahini, Sarasvati. Seshagopalan plunged deep into the ocean of Kamabaramayana and collected the precious pearls and strining them in the double strands of his flowing tamil and lilting music presented a beautiful necklace to Sri Rama.

In the beginning itself TNS made it very clear that it was not a mere literary discourse or a wayside carnival with a flourish of overacting , music thrown in between, but it was going to be a depiction of the deep devotion which underlays the work of Kamaban which earned him the title of Kamabanaattaazvaar among the devotees. It was not Ramanatakam but Raamakaadhai,or Ramavathaara as it was originally named by Kamban, steeped in devotion,culture and above all, in dharma. So those who had come with such expectations would not have been able to enjoy the rich cultural and devotional nevertheless poetical repast.

TNS has enhanced the enchantment of the lyrics of Kamban by his novel and imaginative explanations and his divine music.To describe his performance one would echo the words of Sri Ramachandran, secretary of Hamsadhwani, that the description of the land of Kosala by Kamban, 'thandalai mayilgal aada thaamarai viLakkam thaanga---
----marudham veetrirukkum maalo' alone, which TNS explained beautifully, can be the fitting tribute. Sri Ramachandran has also praised the subtle and refined humour, the second nature of TNS, that ran undercurrent in the harikatha and his cultured manner of presenting even the episode of Ahalya and above everything else his gurubhakthi which manifested through out asll of which made his harikatha unique.

The rasikas come to hear TNS not for the mere story or for the monoacting but to enjoy his depth of knowledge and inspiring and involved devotion which even brought tears to some in the audience as one gentleman openly confessed on the stage on the last day.So sentiment, rasa, was not lacking but without ostentation.

Kamban upheld Rama as the paramporuL, the ultimate reality and this was explicit in the very first verse 'ulagam yavaiyum thaamulavaakkalum,' said TNS,who also pointed out that Kamban has made reference to Ramayana as a sarnagathi sastra,as it is called by devotees, by the last line of theabove verse, annavarkke saran naangaLe.'

` There were various instances to show the deep study and thinking TNS has put forth in this venture such as his explanation of 'irukai vezam ,' by which Kamban refers to Rama; the 'iru kai' being ,one for dushtanigraha and another for sishtaparipalana as in the case of the elephant,'vezam,' which can uproot the tree with its trunk as well as lift a child gently and put him on its back In 'sEl unda senkanaarin,' in which kamban paints the picture of the young swans seated on the lotus drinking the milk given out by the 'sEtrumedhi,' buffalo, TNS quoted aptly the thiruppaavai pasuram 'kanaitthiLasm kattrerumai kanrukkirangi, the buffalo giving out the milk simply by thinking of its calf. in the verse'karaamalaiya thaLar kaikkari eytthE,' describing the namakarana of Rama, in which Kamban refers to gajendhramoksha episode, the word' kaikkaliru, ' as explalned by TNS, iindicates that only the hand of gajendhra was visible above the water and at that juncture the Lord gave His hand to resque him..

One feels, to put it in words of Kamban ,'thOLkandaar thOLe kandaar'.in describing the salient features of the harikatha by TNS.Still one cannot do full justice to a review without mentining some of his gems, notwithstanding the bavaladen music, such as that in ,annal nokkinaal,' the meeting of Sita and Rama, and his explanation for the word 'nOkki' was supreb as he has brought out the purushakara of piraatti and the need of lakshmikataaksha even for Ram to finish his avatarakarya. It is to be noted that he has tuned 1000 verses of Kamban in apt ragas.It would be a great treasure to posterity if someone comes forward to make a recording of it.

Some of the gems are;
1) Sita remembers Rama and pines for him and here Kamban uses the word ' thaazndha kaigal ' of which TNS said that it reminds of Vamana whose hands were low on account of receiving the dhaana, which is an implication that Rama is none other than Narayana.

2) His explanation of ' thaLLaadhakaalam' as 'edhaiyumthallaadhakaalam' which results in misery for man.

3) Why does the elephant puts mud on its head soon after bathing? TNS gave a beautiful reason. The earth has been covered byn the Lord in all His avatharas and the elephant sprinkles the particles of earth to purify itself.

4) Kamban describes Rama as mazaimugilvaNNan while he calls Thataka maivaNNattharakki, said tns, to show the cour of the rformer is like rainbearing clouds indicative of His mercy while the colour of darkness of thamas.

5)Why does kamban refers to Paarkadal as karumkadal? It is because the Lord is the emarald, maragathavannan, which when put in the milk will change its colour from white to black

6)TNS gave a beautiful explanation for the words of Kamban 'anjil aimbadhil onrariyaadha' in the verse 'najam annavarai,' the message to Sugriva, who forgot his prommise, from Rama through Lakshmana. He gave out several meanigs with reference to Sita, Ravana and The lord Himself whomhas come as Rama and so on by different grouping of the letters.

7) Rama saysn to Sita ' ippiraviyil irumaadharai chindhaiyalum thodEn.' TNS elucidated it to mean that Rama, as Narayana, promises not to think even about His own consorts,Bhoo and NeeLaa , in that incarnation as Rama. Thwe word was 'irumaadhar' and not 'piramaadhar' as it could have been.

8) TNS highlighted the humour of Kamban in the lines ' venjina vaali meeLaan vaalum poi ozindhadhu anre,' where Hanuman informed Ravana of the killing of Vali, as Ravana had a reason to fear the tail of Vaali.

9)Hanuman tells Rama ' kandanan karpinukku aNiyai kaNgaLaal'. TNS gave a wonderful explanation of the word 'kaNgaLaal' and said that all would see only with eyeswhich was not meant here but that Hanuman saw the chastity of Sita through her eyes as eyes are the windows of the soul.

10) Last but not least was the scene of Vibheeshana saraNaagathi where TNS gave out the essence of Vaishnavadharma, consisting in selfless service, hospitality, self effacing devotion to Bhagavaan and Bhaagavathas, Ahimsa, sathyam etc.

On the whole the Hrikatha, besides the enchanting music of Seshagopalan, brought out the real spirit of Kamban as a devotee simultaneously enhancing his lyrical value. Kamban portrayed Rama throught out as the Supreme Lord who covered Himself with His own Maya, athireka maayaa, to quote TNS, and enacted the role of chakravarthitirumagan. TNS explained this athireka maayaa with excellent examples.One would conclude that those who can find anything disparging to say about this harikatha programme must have been covered with athireka maayaa, that is, an illusion of their own making
The link

http://carnatica.net/cgi-bin/rasikaforu ... opicid=323

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
THANKS.
I got goose bumps reading the review: the people physically present there were indeed very fortunate. I only wish all of us can vicariously participate in it, if someone has a recording!
Ravi

saroja ramanujam

Post by saroja ramanujam »

Thank you. Please visit my web page on TNS also'
http://www.geocities.com/rasika_tns

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Wow, the site is a veritable hero-worship place for TNS. I am sure the TNS fans (I know more than a few here) are happy. ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks saroja

The review is as entertaining as the harikatha itself! Pl let us know if you find out how we could get a recording!

saroja ramanujam

I f you know any rasikas of TNS why don't you give them my URL and also ask them to join mygroup. mY WEBPAGE;
http://www.geocities.com/rasika_tns
My group; http://yahoogroups.com/group/rasika_tns
My email:rasika_tns@yahoo.com.if any one write tome giving their email I will invte them to my group.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Yes, Smt. Saroja, a recording of the Harikatha by TNS will be highly appreciated especially by those of us who are outside India and are TNS rasikas.

saroja ramanujam

I posted a review of the concerts of TNS yesterday and it was displayed. But today I am not able to see it anywhere. can any one help me?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

It is very much there saroja. it is the 4th thread in this section- "bhakti".

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I see it there too. May be it should be moved to the 'Concert events, Reviews....' forum where it belongs along with other reviews.

meena

Post by meena »

saroja

DELETED
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

saroja ramanujam

I got it.Thank you all sahrdhayas.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Saroja
I had been to only one of the discourses that was held in hamsadhwani, IndiraNagar. That days episode covered on Rama attending the swayamvaram of Sita.

There are significant pluses that you have noticed . For me , Shri TNS explanation of why elephants take mud and puts it over itself was superb . But there is one big significant minus atleast during his harikatha performance .

Shri TNS gets into little too much of detours and sometimes he wastes significant time in not getting back to the main topic. To give one example on that day , Shri TNS talks about how it would be to have Mango, RasaVandal etc ... , so atleast to me that humour and anecdotes were in the hyper side that diluted the harikatha.

On the other hand a year back I had a chance to hear his harikatha on Satguru Thyagaraja , it was phenomenal , his encyclopediac vidwat and ability to communicate mixing music and discourse was perfect , flowed like a waterfall. But atleast on the day of KambaRAmayanam , Shir TNS detour, dry humour was not that much interesting.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Does anyone have recordings of Harikatha by Krishnapremi (Radhakrishna Sastrigal) who is an exponent on Bhagavatham katha. A friend tells me he is simply brilliant.

thanks
Jayaram

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Interview with the great Harikatha exponent Embar Vijayaraghavachariar:
http://www.rogepost.com/dn/xllf

He mentions having done harikatha on Ramana Maharshi in this interview - does anyone have this?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

jayaram wrote:Does anyone have recordings of Harikatha by Krishnapremi (Radhakrishna Sastrigal) who is an exponent on Bhagavatham katha. A friend tells me he is simply brilliant.

thanks
Jayaram
Jayaram,
These are commercially available.

srinivas

Post by srinivas »

pl enlighten the source of Gururajulu Naidu Harikatha series and collections

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

srinivas

Post by srinivas »

meenaji,
thanks for nice lik,i could trace the harikathas and ordered for records ,informative source.thanks again

meena

Post by meena »

ur most welcome! and Pl. just meena will do. thanks

greenvalley

Post by greenvalley »

cmlover wrote:here is an old gem of Balakrishna SastrigaL namely 'Gita MahaatmyaM'. Though it is in Tamil since most of the verses are in Sanskrit one should not have any difficulty. The music is mostly viruttam based and is simply divine. Do post your views and appreciations. The link is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=162S1ZJD

This is a fairly large file (78meg) and we would like to know how long it takes you to download. Please also let us know if you have difficulty using mega. We all have to live with mega and rapidshare until Ramakrishnan finds us a permanent solution :D
I am new member to this group but still in the crawling stage as for Carnatic music is concerned though recently I have started liking this kind of soft music. Especially the the musical discourse styles of TS Balakrishna Sastrigal. I would like hear the Gita from his voice. I would be thankful if anyone could upload again the " Gita MahatmiyaM". Any upload site is okay. You may try "Mediafire"site. I uploading / downloading is very fast, so far no hassles. Thanks for the help.

ganesh

ramani

Post by ramani »

Balakrishna SastrigaL namely 'Gita MahaatmyaM', please put again
:|:|:|:|

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Pardon my ignorance, but are harikathA, upanyAsa-s and upakhyAnam-s the same? The reason I ask is that a bhAgavata upanyAsa also extols the glory of Hari, hence could be harikathA as well, right? Also, there's a form in kEraLa called ATTakathA and I'm guessing it involved dances as well.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Since no one else has so far answered your question, let me give it a try. They are NOT all the same. upanyAsa/upAkyAnam simply means explanatory lecture on ANY topic. Colloquially, kAlakhEpam means "spending time"; kathAkAlakshEpam means spending time in providing/listening to kathAs ( stories) usually devotional in nature. Hari kathA , as the name implies , is stories of Hari and his avatArs, and by extrapolation all devotional stories. Sangeetha upanyAsa is a musical discourse, again usually devotional stories delivered in a musical format. ATTakathA of Kerala, I guess, as the name implies, is a dance drama or a stage acted story, again usually of devotional stories. I hope this helps.