Mukunda Mala Slokam " KrishnO rakshatuno "

History, religion and culture
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Dear All Rasikas,
I humbly post a popular Slokam/virutham taken from the Mukunda Mala Mukunda Mala - Slokam No. 33 as a prayer to Lord, to shower His blessing to all ,on the eve of the New Yearday.

I request respected Sri. VK Raman Avarkal to sing this virutham in rag valaji/Kalavathi(HM) which suits well to this sloka, as per my views.

kRshNO rakshatu nO jagatraya-guru:
kRshNam namasyAmyaham
kRshNEna amaraSatravO vinihitA:
kRshNAya tubhyam nama: | (Krishnaya tasmai nama:)
KrishnA Deva samutdhitam JagadIdam
kRshNasya dAsOsmyaham
kRshNE tishThati sarvamEtadakhilam
hE kRshNa rakshasva mAm ||

MEANING:
This is the 33rd sloka of the Mukunda Mala Sthotram composed by Sri. Kula Sekhara Azhvaar , who offers his salutations to Lord Krishna. An unique and a rare quality of this particular slokam is that the composer had addressed the Lord Krishna using all the eight noun cases namely 1)Nominative 2) Accusative 3)Instrumental 4)Dative 5)Ablative 6)Possessive7)Locative and 8) Denominative, which are popularly known as
the ‘ vibhaktis ’ in the Sanskrit language.

kRshNO rakshatu nO jagatraya-guru: (1st vibhakti) means:
May the Lord Sri Krishna who is the supreme lord for the 3 universes protect us

kRshNam namasyAmyaham (2nd vibhakti) means: I salute Sri. Krishna

kRshNEna amaraSatravO vinihitA: (3rd vibhakti) means: By Sri. Krishna, all the enemies were killed/eliminated.

Krishnaya tasmai nama: (krishnaya tubhyam nama:) 4th vibhakti, means
I offer my prayers/worship to Sri. Krishna.

KrishnAD Eva samutdhitam JagadIdam (5th vibhakti) means, this entire universe had originated from Lord Krishna only

kRshNasya dAsOsmyaham (6th vibhakti) means I remain a ‘dasa’ to the Lord Sri.Krishna.

kRshNE tishThati sarvamEtadakhilam (7th vibhakti) means, this whole universe is deeply rooted in Sri. Krishna

hE kRshNa rakshasva mAm: (8th vibhakti) means, I plead Hey Krishna! For your protection.

Radhe Krishna
Hariharan

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Here is a quick one in Chandrakauns:
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 454&T=3863
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 28 Dec 2008, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Sri. VKRaman Sir, Your efforts are admirable and very melodious.

In the slokam I wish to make a correction in my postings. In the 5th line of the slokams it is " KrishnAt Eva samutthitam JagadIdam " (ie. KRshNAt Eva samutthitam idam jagat ) and not 'KrishnA Deva Samutdhitam jagadIdam'. Please note this change and sorry for the error.

Radhekrishna

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Sri Hariharan Sir: Thank you for the correction. I made the correction in my website also.