Mohanakalyani

Rāga related discussions
ksiyer

Post by ksiyer »

Dear All,

Is the raga Mohanakalyani in the old syllabus of ragas or invented by somebody later.

Is it a combination of Kalyani & mohana.

Whether there are any other ragas (combination of 2) popularly rendered.

Can anyone upload 1-2 mohanakalyanis.

ksiyer

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

a lovely mohanakalyani of os arun is up on x drive.
tvs , santhanam have all sung this raga , but they are all under the copyright domain.

however i will try and pick up a MM iyer -Bhuvaneswariya-
Feel so grateful TO harikesanallur muthiah bhagavathar for giving life to these ragas

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That OS Arun is supeb. I am glad it is not a copyrighted one so that we can give it freely to friends to show off the beauty of Mohanakalyani which is HMB's gift to CM.

coolkarni

Pl post a HM in Mohanakalyani (I don't know what it is called (bhoop?)!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

that was from a os arun concert that went up the internet in 1998 or so in real format.you xcan hear the hum of the real track-something that could not be eliminated while getting back to mp3.
it has an outstanding shanmukhapriya alapana -one of the best i have heard.makes one wish he does not get distracted by the offers to sing ghazals and bhajans as a speciality.he can be such an exciting bridge between HM and CM.just a personal opinion.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes he should be the bridge between CM and HM. His performance in the popular TV series Sahana has given a new interpretation of HM in CM. What a performance! But I am not much of a fan of his fancy bhajans

Now you owe us the Shanmukapriya :D

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ksiyer
mOhana kalyANi as you have ponted out was given shape as a combination of mOhana and kalyANI in trhe ascent and descent respectively. SrI HMB is credited with inventing this rAga. There are some kRtis of swAti tirunAL in the rAga(sEvE SrIkAntam) but one must remember that the kRtis were set to notation by HMB and later hs junior associate SSI.
CML
shuddha kalyAN is I think the HM equivalent of mOhanakalyANI. bhUp is strictly considered equivalent of mOhana in HM. So is bhUpAli. But it appears that M2 and N3 are making inroads into bhUp and in places it sounds distinctly like mOhanakalyANi. This is clearly heard in the version kishori Amonkar sings on MIL. But bhUpAli by gangubai Hangal on MIL is clearly mOhana.

cookarni
I sent u an email several days ago. Did you receive it?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Dr.Shrikaanth is right. It is popularly known as shuddh kalyAN. Sometimes it is refered to as bhUpkalyAN.

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Hi All,
In a recent upload of Nagumomu by Kulkarni sir,
TNS made a sruti bedham of Gandharam in Abheri
to arrive at Mohana Kalyani...very well rendered...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kalgada

I seem to have missed it. Could you give me the reference and the time point. Thanks

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

CML Sir,
this at around 10.09/28.24.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sorry Kalgada

Is it in 1a or 1b since both are 28.24? In 1b violin starts at10:08 but in 1a it is not clear that it is a shrutibhedam since he is too fast. I am missing it :cry:

Thanks for trying :D

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

cml Sir,
it's in 1a...yes it was fast,but we can notice Mohana Kalyani
without much difficulty...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohana kalyani is a delightful rAgam, and I was not aware that it was a creation of HMB. No wonder I like his 'BuvanEshwariyA', in this rAgam the best! I have this song sung by MLV, Sudha and Nithyashree: all different, yet very delightful.
Ravi Shankar

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

We have to keep in mind that mOhanakalyANi was not invented by HMB but he introduced it to CM - like Dikshitar adapting dvijAvanti, rAmkali and brndAvanasArangA. The equivalent rAgA shuddh kalyAN existed in hindustani music long before this.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

strangely i found it difficult to pick a mohanakalyani from the vintage stock.most of the available ones are from the commercial releases.
One exception-bhuvaneswariya by MMI was a very poor recording.so i did not upload.

TRS -seve sreekantham -track was spoilt in the first half.so i have uploaded whatever was left.the swara portions.

HM
There is a very soothing clip by Misra Brothers of Benares.I picked it up from the radio , but it might have been a commercial release.
so i have put up only that part with a lot of fizz.
Amir Khan
we are on safer ground here.I had several versions =all commercial-but this one is a private recording-as though he was practising-you cant even hear an accompanying instrument-sarangi or Harmonium- one of the lovely tracks we have been able to lay our hands on thanks to an Australian disciple of Amir Khan.She even shot a video of his and has shared it with us.Someday when X drives can handle larger files more cost effectively.. maybe we will share it here.
This particular rendering is highly intoxicating.so even those of you with half a mind to download, dont hesitate.it is a very very rare clip !!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

ps.
cml..there is one for the twilight zone as well.
nusrat fateh alis qawwali at paris 85.
call it misra-shudh kalyan, call it whatever.
you cant take this qawwali out of your mind, once you listen to it.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni
Pl load it in rapidshare send me the link. Let us not messup the organization of the nascent x-drive. Thanks

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

a lovely mohanakalyani of os arun is up on x drive.
I heard this song finally. I need some comments from the others here:
While readily identifiable as mohanakalyANI, it was still very different from the other versions of MK I have heard: MLV/Sudha/Nithyashree/Jayanthi Kumaresh/Sowmya etc. OSA has sung a composition of Ambujam Krishna 'AdinAyE kaNNA' in this rAg and it sounds very similar to his 'siddhi vinAyakam'. Is that because his versions are in HM style?
Ravi

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

janya of 65th mela mechakalyani
aro s r g p d s
ava s n d p m g r s
ie going up with mohanam and coming down with kalyani.If sudha madhyamam is substituted for prati,you will get an entirely different raga bilahari
there is a swathi composition seve sreekantam,often sung by Soumya.I have the same sung by her guru,S.Ramanathan.It is an old recording,let me see if I can post it here.

abadri

Post by abadri »

there is a swathi composition seve sreekantam,often sung by Soumya.I have the same sung by her guru,S.Ramanathan.It is an old recording,let me see if I can post it here.
Radhakrishnan sir, from your post on the Dr. S Ramanthan thread, the link for Dr SR's rendition of Seve Srikantam
http://rapidshare.de/files/11862552/seve.mp3.html

I guess this composition was tuned in Mohankalyani by HMB, during his days in Travancore (?!)
Wonder what the earlier ragam was!

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

script and notations of many compositions of Swathi tirunal were lost and and it was,as you you said,Muthiah bhagavathar and later Semmangudi sir who retuned them(the dhanasri tillana was tuned by Lalgudi sir,as requested by amma maharani herself)it is difficult to trace the original tune.The present one is good enough,though
thnks

meena

Post by meena »

abadri wrote:
I guess this composition was tuned in Mohankalyani by HMB, during his days in Travancore (?!)
Wonder what the earlier ragam was!
ST composed seve sreekantam in Mohankalyani.
Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

abadri

Post by abadri »

Meena, doesn't this run counter to popular wisdom about Mohanakalyani being
introduced to the carnatic system by HMB?

Also, do we have any other examples of Mohanakalyani pre-HMB?
OTOH, we do have enough examples of latter-day folks tuning ST's works.

Confusing! I hope our experts weigh in.

meena

Post by meena »

badri
mohanakalyani "is believed to be the creation of muttayyA bhAgavatar"

write-up on it, pl. scroll down the page for mohanakalyani:
Deleted

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Great saints like Thyagaraja spontaneously composed kritis,it came to them and there were no technology to preserve it,but it is still alive thro the sishya parampara.But as you see,there are so many different patantaras,even the text varies.So people have taken liberty to change it according to their style.
Music is something to be appreciated and enjoyed without any bias and the q of who composed what should not intervene.

abadri

Post by abadri »

Meena, your 2nd post seems to agree with me. If Mohanakalyani was introduced by HMB,
how could ST who preceded him by a good half-century have used it to compose his kriti?

The link you pointed me to (http://www.swathithirunal.org/htmlfile/325.htm) claims that
ST created Mohanakalyani - which was a new one to me (popular wisdom says HMB
introduced not ST).

Radhakishnan sir, no question of bias or not appreciating, just a point of historical curiosity if you will.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

i never meant you are biased,as you correctly pointed out,there is only historical curiosity in it.Forums like this should only help to preserve music,of course,there will be controversies,historically,technically,but the criticism should be constructive.Thank you

meena

Post by meena »

badri

i hope either Lji or karthik , can shed some light, as to who composed in this raga first!

meena

Post by meena »

badri

here u go: list of new ragas discovered by HMB:
Deleted

(pl. look under apurva ragas)

i guess its must be an error on ST site!

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

Or maybe ST did not set the tune of the Serve Srikantham in MohanaKalyani to begin with. Maybe HMB did it whilst he was in Trivandrum like SSI did to Bhavayami Raguramam.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

http://rapidshare.de/files/11937651/Moh ... i.mp3.html
Some Mohankalyani by TNS and his son

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I should point out that while Muttiah Bhagavatar formulated may new rAgAs as seen on harikesha site, mOhanakalyANi was there in hindustani music long before his time (called shuddhkalyAN) and he just adapted it into Karnatak music.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Lakshman for the information. Could you explain the similarities between mohanakalyani as well as shuddhakalyan?

Could somebody post an illustrative shuddhakalyan (HM) piece?

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

CML sir, there is an one hour clip of Shudha Kalyan in MusicIndiaOnline. Bhimsen Joshi. 'Nuff said. Pure class. Hope it's the same that Lakshman sir is referring to. To be honest even though I can kind of sense the swaras used are the same as Mohana Kalyani, it appears very different to my ears, with stress of different sangathis and prayogas.

Can someone please explain? Many thanks.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Mahesh
I am listening to the amazing Joshi's out-of-this-world suddh kalyan. Amazing as it is I can only get a very peripheral sanchar relating to mohan kalyan. I could see his excursions into Yaman and Mohanam (Bhup) all mixed along with slices of Mohankkalyani. But HMB's mohanakalyani is a distinct raga sculpted strictly on carnatic lines. Perhaps the HM did influence HMB in creating this raga but full kudos to HMB for giving a roopam to this wonderful raga IMHO!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I also just listened to Kishori on MIO singing a drut in suddhakalyan which sounded much closer to Mohanakalyani with of course some variations from the CM style. She has also sung a viLamb kaal on suddhakalyan which does not sound at all like Mohankalyani.

My conclusion is that MK is a raga which does not allow an elaborate aalaapana (which is true from the CM point of view). It gives up when you start teasing it note by note which the HM artists do! When it hangs together (though no special gamakams as far as I know) it sounds like our delightful CM version.

I like your comments folks!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the link for a delightful and rare rendition of shuddhkalyan by Roshan Ara Begum:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11963364/01_ ... 1.mp3.html

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Has Ariyakudi sung this raga?

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

Mohana kalyani was a creation of HMB. Hence I think ARI and for that matter many of his contemprories would not have sung it.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

CML:
I sent you an email but it bounced back. If you wish more information on the comparison between shuddhkalyAN and mOhanakalyANi I nee your email address.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

cml
two more tracks of shudh kalyan .. which lean more towards the carnatic Mohanakalyani

Jitendra Abhisheki's tharana -the first time we heard it on Radio, every one in my home was humming "Yallali Yallali" for days..... a beautiful rendering.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12091110/JIT ... N.MP3.html

and a second one on the Rudra veena by Asad Ali Khan
though lasting ony a couple of minutes , a wonderful bit.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12091455/ASA ... N.MP3.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Lakshman:
Please use cmlover@rogers.com. Thanks!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

coolkarni

Jitendra does sound close to carnatic

But Asad khan's is fantastic! I wish it was a longer piece!

Roshnara has a bewitching voice and I agree she sings much closer to carnatic raga. But I still get glimpses of Yaman and Bhup in the aalaap. I accept it is suddhkalyan but not Mohankalyani. HMB's version is indeed a stand alone raga with no trace of kalyani or mohanam phrases.

I hope one of these days TNS will take it as a challenge and elaborate this raga. It is a shame that it is still in the closet with not any weighty kritis.

C'mon DRS! Take it as a challenge and compose a sparkling kriti in Mohan kalyani!

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

The only time I've heard a elaborate MK was in the Maharajapuram Santhanam CD, where is sings Buvaneswariyai, the swarams in the end are brilliant.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

There is a beautifull piece in MK by Bombay Jayashree "Taamadam Tagadayya" on the musicindiaonline site http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/1/s/a ... rtist.103/

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

Here is a beautiful rendering of Thamadham Thagadhaiyya( a composition of Lalgudi Gopala Iyer-Lalgudi's father) by Lalgudi, GJR and Viji from a live recording

http://rapidshare.de/files/14240656/LGJ ... i.oma.html

This is in open MG( Sony ATRAC format). I request knrh05 to convert it into mp3. I dont know how to do it.

thanks

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

hello nallanchakra,

is nallanchakravarty the full form of nallanchakra? the reason i ask is that my maiden name is nalllanchakravarty too!

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

yes, our family name is thirumalai nallan chakravarthy!

Best wishes

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

thanx for the reply. may i have your email id, as i do not wish to drag the whole forum into my discussion of last names.

regards,

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

do I post my email ID in this forum?