Narayana gowlai

Rāga related discussions
srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

A raga closely allied to surutti. Can someone explain distinguishing features? I would like to know about some compositions in this raga other than
1. maguva ninne = aTatALa varNam, Veenai Kuppaiyyar,
2. shrI rAmam = AditALa?, MD?

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

kadalE vAru kADE rAmuDu
darsanamu

shrijith149

Post by shrijith149 »

Sree Ramam Ravikula somam is by Deekshithar
Last edited by shrijith149 on 29 Mar 2009, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Disclaimer - Please refer to Uday's thread on raga quiz #2 to get a sense of my qualifications in this area...:-(

But having acknoledged that...the raga is close to both Surutti and Kedara-gowla. PNDNS and the halt on gandharam on the descent distinguish it from K Gowla...Surutti Ni is quite distinctive - I don't suppose anyone could miss that...but hey, I did!

arunk

Post by arunk »

I believe there is a youtube view of Prof SRJ rendering the varnam - and he explains the intricacies of the raga (including differences and similarities to kedaragaula)

Arun

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

KadalEvADu is here: (Chitoor's rendition, not the best IMHO but sufficient)
http://sangeethamshare.org/sunil/thyaga ... manian.mp3

Thread on the varnam maguva ninnE:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... ninne.html

Salient points about the ragam as I've gathered from these threads:
1. N-G slide (especially evident in varnam), with G3 slightly lowered
2. GRGS phrase
3. NDNS phrase
4. Strength of the gandharam in descent as mentioned by vijay
5. Slide to N (start of the charanam in varnam- especially evident in TNK's renditions) (in Surutti, the Ni seems to oscillate rapidly with Dha after the upward slide- at least that's my perception. In NG, the Ni appears to be played plain after the glide)

Aside from the NDNS, GRGS phrases, what makes NG so tricky is that it differs from KG/Surutti by virtue of subtly varying emphases of swaras, and given we're all so much more acquainted with KG and Surutti, we'd probably think a NG rendition which even goes close to the border of its neighbours rather risky and off-base! Pull the R a bit and it becomes KG, oscillate the N rapidly and it's Surutti, emphasise the G in a RGS phrase too long and it even sounds like dwijAvanthi! I'm still waiting for some artiste to come along and take ownership of this ragam and wrench it free from the suffocating grasp of its none-too-forgiving neighbouring ragas.

narayan

Post by narayan »

One distinguishing feature through Sri Ramam is the start with Dha (in the anupallavi). Any halting on the plain dhaivatam is a complete no-no in Surutti. Even Voleti would not be able to do that (in Surutti)!
I can testify that Narayanagowlai is an expansive ragam, and if not for days such as Veenai Kuppaiyar and other musicians are said to have rendered it, it is capable of many minutes of flowing elaboration. The ata tala varnam is of course evidence of this possibility.
A strange thought that struck me once is that an equivalent of this in the other gandharam is this obscure Madhavamanohari of Mahalakshmi karuna rasa lahari fame. Shades of the PNDNS and perhaps NGRM (if not NGRGM) in that one too.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Bilahari: Good summary of the relationship of NG to KG and Suratti. I do not know of NG much but I can keep KG and Suratti apart without confusion and it was a surprise to me when I learnt that they are such closely allied ragas ( and the same with Desh and its relationship to these two ). Echoing your wish, it is possible for NG to get the mindshare of most rasikas for its independent identiy if enough artists sing the raga frequently with a few minutes of raga sketch.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

narayan
Are you narayan rangaraj ? If so, I remember learning quite a bit about narayana gowla (a one song SSI rAga to me till then) from your knowledgeable posts in sangeetham. As I understood from your(?) posts (or was it Srini Pichumani) Narayana gowla was much more popular in the late 19th century than it is now when it's place has been usurped by cousins kedara gowla and suratti.
Uday

prashant

Post by prashant »

Uday_Shankar wrote:I remember learning quite a bit about narayana gowla (a one song SSI rAga to me till then) from your knowledgeable posts in sangeetham.
Count me in as another whose major exposure to this rAgA is from 'nArAyaN's nArAyaNagauLa' ;-). I can testify from personal experience that he's not kidding when he says it's capable of 'many minutes of flowing elaboration'. A great raga which shines in seasoned hands.

snk

Post by snk »

we learnt one more song- sri nilotpalanayike in this raga from Govinda Rao Sir. though in its beauty sri ramam wins us over.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

In recent times ,the Ragam Narayana Gowlai reminds me of atleast two persons. SSI for his Sree Ramam &Sowmya for her elaborate RTP (In all gowlais) in a MA concert couple of years back.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

It's appropriate to include SRJ's lec-dem on Narayanagowla varnam here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKWukOEzG0

ragam-talam

Re: Narayana gowlai

Post by ragam-talam »

Soulful rendition of Sree Ramam by V Sankaranarayanan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfSwoX1id0

vs_manjunath

Re: Narayana gowlai

Post by vs_manjunath »

Thanks for the URL. Yes Indeed a Soulful Rendition.
Maha Vaidyanatha Sivan supposed to have been a master in singing this raga in those days !