Veena Raja Rao Birth Centenary Celebrations in Bangalore Jul

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Dear friends,

Please see attached an invitation for the birth centenary celebrations of Veena L Raja Rao.

Venue: Ravindra Kalakshetra, Bangalore
Date: July 5th, 2009
Time: 10:30 am onward.
Free admission.

Main events:
1. Release of 2 CDs of Veena Raja Rao compositions: a) Veena rendition by Veena Kinhal b) Vocal rendition by Nagamani Srinath
2. Performances (brief) by Veena Kinhal, Nagamani Srinath, Dr. Suma Sudhindra, Tara Krishnamurthy and Vijaya Krishnamurthy
3. Bharatanatya performance of Raja Rao compositions by Grandchildren of Veena Raja Rao
4. Presentation of Veena Raja Rao National Award to senior vainika Dr. R Vishweshwaran
5. Releasing of reprints of Veena Raja Rao authored books (three books)
6. Saxophone concert by Dr. Kadri Gopalanath (6:30 pm onward)

Please forward to friends and family who might be interested.

I apologize for the delay in getting this invitation out.

I hope to meet many Bangalore based rasikas on July 5th at Ravindra Kalakshetra.

Sreeni Rajarao

Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 01 Jul 2009, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sreeni,

Best Wishes! I am sure it will be a grand and befitting occasion.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sreeni,
Hope a lot of Bengalorians and Rasikas members too get to attend the centenary celebrations of the eminent vainika.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Rasikas who attended Birth Centenary Celebrations of Gana Kalabhushana Veena L Raja Rao had an memorable experience on Sunday 05 Jul’09. The family of Veena L Raja Rao who had organised this event had to be complimented on many grounds. The dignitaries for the function were- Dr RK Srikantan;Dr UR Anatha Murthy; Prof R Visweswaran;Dr AH Rama Rao; Sri RK Padmanabha & Mysore V Subramanya.
The function started with a Veena recital by Dr Suma Sudhindra & Party.
Being a disciple of Sri L Raja Rao, she played 3 compositions melodiously as a tribute.Out of these, I believe two of them( one in Revagupthi & one in Hamsanandi) were L Raja Rao’s compositions. Charukeshi (R&S) was deliberated followed by ‘krupaya pAlaya’ of ST.
The L Raja Rao’s award was conferred on the well known Vainika Prof R Visweswaran. All the dignitaries made speeches extolling the great qualities of Sri L Raja Rao ( a Multi faceted personality - Vainika, Gayaka, Gamaki, Teacher, Actor, Author, Musicologist & Composer) starting from Mysore Subramanya ( who took the audiences to L Raja Rao’s grand parents who were vainikas in Mysore Palace) and stressed on the unique tradition of Mysore Baani which Raja Rao inherited from his family as well as a shishya of Mysore Sheshanna. L Raja Rao carried this tradition from Mysore to Bangalore.
In addition to teaching veena to innumerable number of students in B’lore ,he was also instrumental in opening a full fledged Music department in Acharya Pathasala. He took keen interest in putting music to Dasa sahithya as well as Shiva Sharanara Vachanagalu. Couple of books written by L Raja Rao were reprinted and released on this occasion. Also two CDs containing L Raja Rao’s compositions were released during the proceedings. Mysore Nagamani Srinath has sung about 11 compositions of Veena L Raja Rao in one of the CDs. The other CD contains compositions of L Raja Rao played on the veena by L Raja Rao’s daughter Veena Kinhal.
Two items in each of these CDs were rendered by Veena Kinhal as well as by Mysore Nagamani Srinath before breaking for lunch.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 05 Jul 2009, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A well organised series of programs held during the course of the day, concluding with the saxophone concert by Kadri Gopalnath and party. I had the pleasure of meeting Sreeni & his family members.
Congratulations are in order for the wonderful function.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sreeni - Congratulations!

Please let us know how to acquire the CDs that have been released.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

A good coverage of the event in "The Hindu", Bangalore edition of today.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/06/stories ... 440400.htm

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Glad to know about the function; More glad to know about the great vidwan.
endarO mahAnubhAvulu andariki vandanamulu.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 06 Jul 2009, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Dear all,
I sincerely appreciate all the support my family and I have received in our efforts to preserve my Father's legacy. The response was overwhelming. The big auditorium was filled for most part of the day, inspite of it being a long day (events starting at 10:30 am and lasting up to 8:30 pm). I am pleasantly surprised with the media coverage of the event (pre event and post event).

I was very happy to meet my Rasikas forum friends Sri. V S Manjunath, Sri and Smt. Raja Chandra, Sri. K P, Sri G B RajaShekar, Sri. Cienu and DRS's Father Sri. Krishnamurthy. I regret I could not spend more time with all of you as I was busy managing the events. Kulkarni Sir, we missed you!

We have gained more strength now and we have identified more projects that we want to take up from our Foundation.

I am happy to announce that the website www.veenarajarao.com is up and running. It's in it's initial form and it will be enhanced in the coming days.

Ravi,
I will be back in Detroit on July 13th and I will work out logistics for distribution of the CDs we have produced and the books we have reprinted.
Likewise, I will set up a system in Bangalore for distribution in India, and I will publish the details.

Thanks!

Sreeni Rajarao

tkb

Post by tkb »

Congrats for this mammoth effort.

vijay

Post by vijay »

COngratulations Sreeni - good to know so many rasikas could make it!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Picture 1:
Veena Raja Rao birth centenary celebrations in Bangalore July 5th, 2009:

Picture 1:
Seated left to right: Smt. Veena Kinhal, Sri. R K Padmanabha, Dr. U R Anantha Murthy, Dr. R K Srikantan, Sri. R Visveswaran, Dr. A H Rama Rao and Sri. Mysore V Subramanya

Picture 2:
Smt. Veena Kinhal, Sri. Aanoor Anantha Krishna Sharma (Shivu) on mRdanga, Sri. S N Narayana Murthy on Ghata

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Dr. Suma Sudhindra and Divya Avinash on veena, supported by Aanoor Anantha Krishna Sharma (Shivu) on mRdanga, Charulata Ramanujam on violin, S N Narayana Murthy on Ghata.

Opening concert of Veena Raja Rao birth centenary celebrations on July 5th, 2009 in Bangalore.

uppavaDiso madhusUdhana, a composition of Veena Raja Rao in BhouLi.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2ed6 ... e43023529f
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 16 Jul 2009, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.