Smt.R. Vedavalli at Naada Inbam - 24.12.09

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sivapriya

Post by sivapriya »

Smt.R.Vedavalli - Vocal
Smt.Sumtira vasudev - Support
Sri.R.K.Shriramkumar - Violin
Sri.Neyveli Narayanan - Mridangam

Song List :

Ninnu juchi - patnam - adi - Sowrashtram
Balakanakamaya- Ty- Adi- swaras
Merusamana - Ty- Desaadhi- R, N,S
Karunai Thandennai - Begada-M Chapu- Mazhavai Chidambara Bharati
Nenarunchinanu - Ty- Malavi-Adi

Gnaanamosagaraadha - Ty- SHADVIDHAMARGINI - R

Etavunanerchitivo - Ty- YadukulaKamboji - R

Jesinathella- Ty-Todi- Adi- R,N,S

Thani Avartanam

Entatikuluke - Javali - Kalyani
Adnruevvulgam Alandai - Andal - Adi- preceeded by slokam in Sindubhairavi ( vande brindavana charam)
Kathitha Samayapi -Ahiri- Jayadeva Ashtapadhi

If anybody can explain, write, review ,report a " state of trance", they are welcome to do so, as frankly I am still not out of that state and believe words will kill the experience.

This concert was eternal bliss and I can be only thankful to providence , that I have in Smt. Vedavalli , a Guru, from whom even a little spec of knowledge is a downpour of blessing.

The co- artists on the violin and mridangam also transported all of us into that heavenly bliss.

prashant

Post by prashant »

sivapriya wrote: If anybody can explain, write, review ,report a " state of trance", they are welcome to do so, as frankly I am still not out of that state and believe words will kill the experience.

This concert was eternal bliss and I can be only thankful to providence , that I have in Smt. Vedavalli , a Guru, from whom even a little spec of knowledge is a downpour of blessing.
It's been three hours now, I can think of nothing else other than this concert. What a niraval in tODi! I can only echo sivapriya's sentiments - I just have no words to describe what I experienced today...

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Agreed! what a wonderful concert!
Last edited by knrh05 on 24 Dec 2009, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It was indeed a fantastic and blissful concert. The precession of niraval in the main item was epic; along with the swaras as well, it was a marathon of improvisation and utterly mesmerising.

I thought, in the initial minutes of the concert, that she was not as strong, but I think this was down to sound issues, and mic placing. I could not have been more wrong; the fact that we did not hear very much from Sumitra in this particular program goes to show Vedavalli's strength, which just seemed to grow over the two and a half hours

The accompaniment was suitably subtle. An excellent job done by both mridangist and violin. RKSK's violin was just the model of perfection in accompanying, possibly the best I've ever heard. Yes... it was that good! Outstanding. I was particularly impressed with his accompaniment for alapana.

Had the pleasure of sitting next to Arvind, who cleared some technical doubts for me. It is a strange coincidence that when, on more than a few times over past few years, I feel the need to ask the raga of a song, the answer comes back 'todi'. Who knows, if I ever actually learn raga identification, it might prove to be my favourite.

A fabulous evening. It is not Christmas unless Vedavalli sings, and, whenever she sings --- then it will be Christmas :)

I am afraid that some of my heavenly bliss got disrupted driving home. Every time I think I have got Chennai driving and anger management sorted, I go and prove myself sadly mistaken. Some... but far from all. The concert will warm me from within for some time.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

nick H wrote: It is not Christmas unless Vedavalli sings, and, whenever she sings --- then it will be Christmas :).
beautifully said :) wow what a concert . thodi came out in all its splendour and majesty .. simply amazing. no words to describe . Sivapriya or Prashant or any one else , can you please explain what mami said about singing "Gnaanamosagaraadha in SHADVIDHAMARGINI " . She explained it , but i didnt hear it properly .

Thanks
Arvind .

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

sivapriya wrote: Etavunanerchitivo - Ty- YadukulaKamboji - R
This is a beautilful Thyagaraja krithi that used to be sung frequently by T.K. Rangachari that is rarely sung these days.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Rasika911 wrote:
sivapriya wrote: Etavunanerchitivo - Ty- YadukulaKamboji - R
This is a beautilful Thyagaraja krithi that used to be sung frequently by T.K. Rangachari that is rarely sung these days.
I heard malladi bros sing this krithi as main last season at brahma gAna sabhA , after that not heard anyone sing this ..

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I have totally different feeling for this concert. Rasikas (read vidhyarthis of vidhushi) might throw "rotten tomatoes" at me for saying this, but let me say this.

1. Shadvidamargini - alApana was great! Gjyanam osagarada was special choice. Long ago - may be a decade back, vidushi told in another context this song was sung in gamanashrama in earlier days. Is both shadvidamargini and gamanashrama - different name for same rAgA? Or, mami found out another authentic version by researching old manuscripts of tyAgaraja recently?

2. Neraval of Todi keerthana - There was no "edam" maintained. Randomly she was landing at different places for different sahitya. Is this expected from a laya wizard, or age is catching up with vidushi?

3. Shruti lapses in couple of places - Particularly while latching on to madhyamam in todi (don't remember whether during alapana, or neraval). She had two tanpuras, but still managed to hear in another shruti!! I have heard stories in past like hindustani vidwans sitting in between two tanpuras, and singing in a totally different sruthi!!

4. Todi keerthana - why was this sung in 1 kalai? Isn't this a 2 kalai keerthana?

5. What taalam was merusama? Isn't it adi 2 kalai? She sang in two laghu and 1 dhrutam (2 kalai - matya taalam?) - Eduppu was 2 aksharam in dhrutam. Did mAmi found in recent research that merusama was sung by Thyagaraja swami in matya taalam, or did i observe wrong?

mayamalava gowlai alapana was superb, so was swaraprastana. A rare begada keerthana was a treat to hear

Humble suggestion to vidushi from her die hard fan - may be she can sing for 90 minutes due to advancing age. In this way, still we can get to hear a sample of her vidwat, and mAmi also won't strain herself for 2-1/2 hour concert.

completelyclueless

Post by completelyclueless »

Dear pattamaa,

1. Yes...Smt. Vedavalli mentioned that Shadvidamargini is the original tune for Gnanamosagarada

3. I didn't think the sruthi lapses were that bad...Probably mostly due to age, and even when she did go off she came right back I thought

4. I think this krithi is in 1 kalai only

5. The talam for Merusamana is Desadi...The thalam that Smt. Vedavalli put is, according to her research, the correct (and I think also original) thalam for Merusamana

Overall, a really great concert.
Last edited by completelyclueless on 25 Dec 2009, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

We have one saying jesinadela is 1 kalai and another saying its in 2 kalai, i have seen it rendered as both.
It could be the case of another krithi like raga sudha rasa (andolika) where different schools sing it in different kalais :P

I would question R.Vedavalli on matters like this, if anyone knows she does!!! :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

With respect, for we all give importance to different things, but I cannot see much importance for myself in whether a song is presented in 1 * 16 counts or 2 * 8 counts. Probably there is a subtle difference that is beyond me, but the telling question would have to be, "without being able to see the tala hand, would you have been able to hear the difference?"

I was lost with Desadi talam --- but, thankfully, I was sitting next to a mridangist :)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Incidentally, how important is it for the syllables of each word taken up in neraval to occur at the same place in the tala cycle each time? Several artistes dating back to yesteryear vidwans seem to have taken significant liberties with compressing and expanding the sahitya to fit the "flow" of the music and I have never had any problems with it. I quite like the variety of a more free-form neraval.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

taking significant liberties?

I thought the word was improvisation! :lol:

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

merusamAna - talam is madhyAdhi.. Two anu dhrutam and dhrutam ( U + U + 0).

Todi keerthana is indeed 1 kalai. I checked with knowledgeable sources

Bilahari - If you can give specific audio examples - it will be great! I saw this first time (atleast for me) in a live concert, and not landing in edam was quite indifferent for me. Hope some of mami's students here can check with her, and get back to us.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

pattamma, based on your prelude I thought you are going to say the glass itself is broken, but you are just saying the glass is only 99% full.. ;) j/k

>merusamAna - talam is madhyAdhi.. Two anu dhrutam and dhrutam ( U + U + 0)

I thought the key aspect of madhyAdhi is the eduppu is half a beat after samam. Can you please explain some more? I have seen artists keeping a 2 kaLai adi kriya for this composition.

>She sang in two laghu and 1 dhrutam (2 kalai - matya taalam?) - Eduppu was 2 aksharam in dhrutam. Did mAmi found in recent research that merusama
>was sung by Thyagaraja swami in matya taalam

(Ignoring the unnecessary cynicism), isn't matya thalam format ( laghu, drutham, laghu) and not 2 laghus followed by a drutham. What was her actual kriya for the thala?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

pattamaa wrote:merusamAna - talam is madhyAdhi.. Two anu dhrutam and dhrutam ( U + U + 0).
I think the two visarjita-s and one ghAta-visarjita are being referred to, as two anudrutam and one drutam..
vk wrote:(Ignoring the unnecessary cynicism), isn't matya thalam format ( laghu, drutham, laghu) and not 2 laghus followed by a drutham. What was her actual kriya for the thala?
if the (apparent) U+U+O is reckoned from the second unit, the periodicity can be construed as U+O+U (My speculation.. this is like a frame-shift mutation..)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Frameshift mutation - I like :)
I sometimes read miSra cApu as vilOma cApu.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>visarjita-s and one ghAta-visarjita

what are these two?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

bilahari wrote:Frameshift mutation - I like :)
I don't, because it is unusual for a frameshift (mutation) to result in a translatable (protein)... :P

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Fine, get technical about it! :)
But in this case, the error is neither missense nor nonsense (since it has no tangible consequence other than a mislabelling of tala), so I think the analogy may stand!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

it has no tangible consequence
That's what I thought!

quark_n_jaguar

Post by quark_n_jaguar »

Excellent concert, and I was honestly thankful for everything including the length of it. Not sure if it was just a case of mal-adjusted audio, or if it was with the playing itself -- but I only wish the mridangam was a bit softer.

Those who really liked this concert-- please do suggest others that I can listen to the remainder of this season.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Too late for us to recommend the same lady singing at the Academy a couple of days ago, or her student, Sumitra (who you saw gving vocal support) singing this afternoon.

Not too late, though, to attend Sumitra's concert on 31st, at the same hall, Raga Sudha.
Last edited by Guest on 29 Dec 2009, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Nick, I think Quark means other artists (who are likely to also be favourites of those who like Smt Vedavalli) to be listened to. :)

Quark, maybe you can try Smt Rama Ravi at Raga Sudha today.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 29 Dec 2009, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, Me too... but I'm sure he'd like opportunity to see Smt V again too!

I'm in the same boat, wanting to know of other artists that I would enjoy, especially those among the elders that my limited experience hasn't reached yet. This forum is a great source of such information.

Sorry I can't take up your recommendation for Rama Ravi today, but I'll try to remember the name :)

rahul_narayan

Post by rahul_narayan »

Veda maami is always a pleasure to listen to.....So what if she is aged, her music still is soaked deep in classiscm..... Its a great punyam to listen to maamis like Veda maami...... And kindly do consider her age while reviewing....She is someone with an amazing knowledge in our music.....Her music does not require reviews.....her music is beyond all that........She is also a very humble,down-to-earth human being.....Long live Veda maami and her music.... !!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

rahul_narayan wrote:So what if she is aged
So what, indeed? I wonder that you have even mentioned the fact! In a musician like her, age only adds!
And kindly do consider her age while reviewing.
But, aren't we agreed that there is no need to mention it? ;)

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

The concert was one of the best i have heard. Everything was perfectly presented with enough vigour and gait. Totally an enjoyable programme. Smt. Vedavalli was great that day and was ably supported by Smt. Sumithra. Sri Shriram Kumar provided perfect support and was amazing. Sri Narayanan was good in parts, he was particularly loud in places that made it tough to hear the music.

ratanabhinav

Re: Smt.R. Vedavalli at Naada Inbam - 24.12.09

Post by ratanabhinav »

Does anyone have any recording of this concert ? I'm dying to listen to it . Thanks in advance .

harimau

Post by harimau »

ratanabhinav wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 20:00 Does anyone have any recording of this concert ? I'm dying to listen to it . Thanks in advance .
Yes, the convenor of Narada Inbam Sabha. :twisted:

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:15 Yes, the convenor of Naada Inbam Sabha. :twisted:
FTFY, Harimau.

Has the Tiger grown too old?

harimau

Post by harimau »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 12:46
harimau wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 08:15 Yes, the convenor of Naada Inbam Sabha. :twisted:
FTFY, Harimau.

Has the Tiger grown too old?
Autocorrect, damn you! :evil:

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

Thank you very much for the information .

prashant

Post by prashant »

This concert was commercially released by Charsur.

ratanabhinav

Post by ratanabhinav »

prashant wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 16:42 This concert was commercially released by Charsur.
Thank you so much for the information . What is it titled ? Thanks .