Nagai Muralidharan@Madhuradhwani on Dec 03rd,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Violin : Nagai Muralidharan
Violin Support : Ambika Prasad
Mrudangam : Mannargudi Eswaran
Kanjira : KV Gopalakrishnan

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 10 mins
Hall : Arkays Hall
Occasion : As part of Dec 2022 concert series

1. sAmi ninnE kOri (R)-varnam - sriragam - Karur Devudu Iyer
2 mins alapana all only with violin return
2. mahaganapathim (RS,s) - nattai- MD
4 mins swaras

3.sabhApathikku(R,S)- Abhogi - GKB
6 mins alapana only with violin return
6 mins swaras

4.Tulasi Bilva (R) - Kedaragowlai - T
5 mins alapana
5. nannu brOvu lalitha(R,S) - Lalita - SS
forgot to note
6. evariTO - manavati -T

7A. shree kanthimathi(R S T) - Hemavathi -MD
9 mins alapana and 15 mins swaras
7B.tani for 13 mins

8. manadirkku ugandadhu (R) - sindhubhairavi - Tanjore Sankara iyer
2 mins alapana
9. Krishna nee beganE - yamunakalyani - Vyasavarayar
10. nee nama - mangalam

rajeshnat

Re: Nagai Muralidharan@Madhuradhwani on Dec 03rd,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Nagai Muralidharan is surely a bit unnoticed legend for the critical count of rasikas. Who can ever forget his early days when he was a stock vioinist of maharajapuram santhanam which is my earliest phase of noticing him play/ Over a period of few decades there is a deep musical intellectual quotient which i keep hearing and in general violin concerts being too few so as such not much to experience his musical intelligence.

What I liked :
--------------
# Sampradaya purity particularly the lalita and kedaragowlai showed that in immense measure.

# There is briskness without any sag . One has to give it to his co vidwan Ambika prasad who played with him as violin support . Also KVG and eswaran kept so much in line with Muraidharan thoughts

# Some ragas like manavati in violin or almost ubiquitous ragas like say sindhubhairavi or a fairly too popular yamuna kalyani all had that himalayan azhuttam . His bowing strength bit overlaps with the late legend TN Krishnan . Who knows may be his guru RS Gopalakrishnan or his own amma Komalavalli all taught azhuttam from day one. Azhuttam adds a certain higher share of carnatic zing even for say bit lighter shade ragas like say hemavati or even a bit unpopular manavati

# Many violinist even legends say like TN Krishnan generally appear bit like a vocalist semmangudi in violin. But i Could map concert to none of the vocalist in ideas . There was no overlap to say his earlier avatar of Santhanam , KVN,SKR or a bit later legends like TNS and others who are all performing . No iota of mapping that i felt , it was his own organic understanding and ideas where he kept krithi rasa intact with zero frills bringing in conepts like vaadya anubhavam etc.

# The joy of swarakalpana danced with his violin be it early nattai or even hemavati with that tamaraibharani goddess of tirunelveli was noticable for depth. Perhaps there was a lot of Tirunelveli buddhisali thanam for a well grounded Tanjore Nagapattinam artist .

# KVG was sensitive to volume and he pepped at right places , Eswaran was elegance and did tag along so well. Now i forgot how they played tani

What I did not like
---------------------
# Bit love for volume for nagai muralidharan was not suiting me , i felt his first two was too loud. I mitigated by moving from short midon to LongOff . Long Off with so many empty chairs and bit avoiding eye contact of play gives a bit of non live experience. I want to hear only with ears but i just want to see the entire pandal in one glance . But still i prefer optimal volume , who cares the visual part for a CM concert

# I have heard him only once live in violin concerts where his extraordinary anna paiyan Nagai Sriram played as a co artist . That day the main was Kapi and today it is hemavati . Not that i dont like Hemavati but i certainly do like kapi as main bit more . That concert i heard and reviewd in 2015 .Infact i took the same structure of review written of MFAC 2015 concert and this is my second , I am wondering how his azhuttam and kalapramana tightnesss would sound say with a krithi like say Kamakshi or Balagopala or karthikeya kangeya or chakkani raja where contours of more classicism could have been exposed better as main.

What is unfortunate that we have to live with
--------------------------------------
# Certainly ambika prasad played well he played as violin support in back , so as such in general when they sit back their instruments are generally not heard as much . In 2015 nagai sriram played as a co artist , surely all of us would have missed the Nagai Junior who had such impeccable grasp of laya poruttam with sruti fidelity, Not that muralidharan did not have, but double reinforcement would have been more better.

We all miss Nagai Sriram. I could spot Delhi Soundarajan and Delhi Muthukumar representing violinist and non violinist community .I am sure they would have enjoyed the briskness of nagai muralidharan and team

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #3 of 12 is done.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours and 10 mins

rajeshnat

Re: Nagai Muralidharan@Madhuradhwani on Dec 03rd,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-------------------------------------------------
Violin : Nagai Muralidharan
Violin Support : Ambika Prasad
Mrudangam : Mannargudi Eswaran
Kanjira : KV Gopalakrishnan
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 10 mins