Bilahari

Rāga related discussions
shishya

Post by shishya »

Hi all,

I am looking for any elaborate reditions of the raga Bilahari, preferably RTPs. If any of you have them and are willing to share, please let me know.

Thanks

arunk

Post by arunk »

dont know about RTPs but GNB and MDR (and SSI too IIRC) have done elaborate renditions in bilahari.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Among present day artists, Unnikrishnan often sings this raga - and quite well too. One of his concerts from the 2000 season brought out by Charsur is well worth a listen. No RTPs that I can recall of though.

Hardly any renditions I heard this Season and definitely no elaborations - quite a pity.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Here's a 1964 recording of GNB's transcendental Ekadantham Bhajeham (with LGJ and Murugabhoopathy) from Pudukottai Sangeetha Sabha. Lalgudi's responses are sheer genius.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/1185748309

Bilahari naturally ends itself to a brisk composition like that. MLV does a version very similar to her guru's as well.

Of the commercial recordings there is one by Sanjay from 2000 (with Nagai & Trichy Sankaran, Harishankar) from Charsur that features Mysore Vasudevachar's Sri Chamundeshwari. Sanjay's bilahari borrows quite unabashedly from GNB's style, but he'll be the first to confess the source of his inspiration.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Someone uploaded a RTP in Bilahari by TRS, I will see if I can find that one and uplaod it.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Found it. You can download the RTP by TRS from the following link.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/1903368760

shishya

Post by shishya »

Thanks MaheshS for the file.

shishya

Post by shishya »

This was the exact RTP that I was looking for. Thanks a million MaheshS. Please leave it available for download until tonight.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

You are welcome and I will just let the link expire on it's own. And what a RTP, I *had* to listen to it after I uploaded it for you. The swaras in the end and MC's reply are phenomenal.

shishya

Post by shishya »

That is a killer combination... TRS+MC +KR. I remember listening to this when I was like 10 or so... and evidently it haunts me even to this day.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

another "killer" track-
a 51 minute Sree Chamundeswari - KVN with Palghat Raghu

http://rapidshare.com/files/11026987/sr ... u.mp3.html

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Thanks a lot coolkarni sir. I have heard KVN’s detailed rendition of this composition only once,at a concert held at MFA club 15 years ago. He sang the niraval for the same rAkA nishAkara saNibha vadanE. Nice to hear it again.

shishya

Post by shishya »

Thanks coolkarni for the lovely track.

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

hi,

I am surprised nobody has mentioned RTP of Bilahari by TMK. It is in a
Rajalakshmi audio album of 2005 season at NGS.

Other Bilahari alapanas in albums that you can buy now are

1. EMI record of Sankaran Namboodgri - Smara sada
2. CDW-December season Unnikrishnan 2000 - Sri Chamundeshwari
3. CDW-December season 2001 - Kalashetra concert by Sanjay - Sri Chamundeshwari
4. AVM audio album by maharajapuram santhanam - 1989 Music Academy- naa jeevadhara
5. HMV-RPG - album by Lalgudi Jayaraman - naa jeevadhra

The one I liked is of Sankaran Namboothari. The reason being that was the first time I heard Bilahari raga alapana and it registered in my mind. The voice is of a boy and is like vani jayaram's voice. The alapana is best rendered and the high pitched voice rendition is exciting.
I never forgot the raga afterwards. I donot know why he didnot make a big career at chennai sabhas.

The next best is Unnikrishnan's , especially his kalpanaswarams are great.
Sanjay's album is spoiled by the high volume of mridhangam. It is too loud that I switch to next song once the alapana is over.

If you want to go over a boatride in a calm river , donot worry that you donot have time. Just Listen to lalgudi's bilahari. It is ultra smooooooth.

I used to be a big fan of this raga and I listened to it so much that now I feel tired of this raga.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/13407060/tr ... i.mp3.html

A recent find - and I feel like taking back some of my harsh words about the artist .I am beginning to like Trichur Ramchandran.Never too late to drop a wrong opinion, I guess.
BTW I am confused about the violinist.
Could it be MC ? If Yes , then this concert must be quite old , since we do not notice some of the characteristic style of MC that we hear today.
This has a strong touch of Lalgudi, But somehow I feel it is not him

avichinnu

Post by avichinnu »

Prof TRS rendered a RTP in Bilahari in Shimoga concert long ago. My search for that still continues.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

A few elaborate renditions can be found at Nada Anuboothi

http://home.sprynet.com/~dsivakumar/music/intromus.htm

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Ragas B... > Bilahari

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

a sensational bilahari by Mali

http://file.uploadr.com/c4ad

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

This raga is tailor-made for Nedunuri Sir and his Dorakuna Ituvanti Seva rendition. I could not imagine a better treatment of this raga and song. This song is close to me as I learnt it directly from him. I can vividly recall that learning session and the goosepimples I got when he demonstrated the song.

Other than that, my other personal favorite is listening to Shri DKJ's Sri. Balasubrahmanya. What amazing bilahari Dikshitar has woven into this kriti !!!.

A kriti that never gets enough appreciation but is nonetheless wonderful is Tyagarajaswami's Narasimha Nannubrovave.
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 29 Jan 2007, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I just heard a short and sweet Karpagambike by Nedanuri. Just found a rare track of SSI singing Inthakan anandha ..just into the alapana now!

gdg

Post by gdg »

'
Last edited by gdg on 19 Mar 2007, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

learner

Post by learner »

Sanjay sings a nice bilahari alapanai followed by "Kamakshi Nee Varalakshmi" in his kshetra cd "Kanchi" by cdw.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Sanjay's Sree Chamundeshwari is also superb - also available commercially

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Rasikas'
May I solicit your spare time to view and listen to the kriti of mine ""Sendaamarai paadanE"(bilahari)- which is in praise of thiruckendur Murugan.Ref;www.Karnatik.com
Ramaraj(vageyakara)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Could someone please upload the TRS pallavi again, please? I'd be much obliged.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

dear CM rasikas.
The link ref . for my bhilahar kriti is www.karnatik.com/c3495.shtml
Please view and listen and get back with your comments
Ramaraj

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

Ramaraj Sir,

Two observations(seems printing error)

1) indrAdi dEvarmuni pungavarun - PUNGAVARUM

2) inbam tadumbi lahari - INBAM TARUMBI LAHARI

Good lyrics.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear Annaswami ji,
Thank ufor ur observations.I hope u might have noticed the crafty weaving of the raaga mudhra I.e. INBAM TADUM BI LAHARI meaning overflowing joy.with Bhilari (BHI-LAHARI -meaning WAVE) Whereas your suggestion (i.e) TARUM BHILARI IS ALSO CORRECT
The other one Pungavarum is correct.
Thank very much for your views
regds.
Ramaraj

grathna

Post by grathna »

coolkarni wrote:another "killer" track-
a 51 minute Sree Chamundeswari - KVN with Palghat Raghu

http://rapidshare.com/files/11026987/sr ... u.mp3.html
I was looking for the audio version (vocal) of Sree Chamundeswari in Bilahari. Could you please make this file available again.

Thanks,

Rathnasri

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Bilahari is such a nice raga and why do not our artists take as a main rAg in concert platform. Scope is enough. In many ways this rAg is at pAr with any main rAgs that are used. I am thirsty.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.

108talas

Post by 108talas »

So 'cool' and 'mool'(original)...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks coolkarni for yet another bilahari mali. Brilliant!! Lucky audience who were present there at that time to listen.
It is different from the mali bilahari which I found in my cool folder.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I have enjoyed this veena rendition of inta kannAnanda memi :

(Veena Kinhal's Tribute to Veena Raja Rao album 2005)

http://www.mediafire.com/?l52nmezztz1

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Late KRamaraj Sir is still continuing to influence rasikAs

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thank you, Coolji, for that bilahari from Mali. As Suji says, it was quite imaginative and I love the slow slide down to the nishadam somewhere in the alapanai, with the violinist fully up to the task (Dwaram Mangathayaru? It doesn't sound like TR/TNK who were his other usual accompanists) throughout.

Bilahari doesn't seem to be a common choice for main/submain these days, looking at the Kutcheri Reviews section, though I fully agree with 108talas that it should be :) At the same time, as I remember mentioning somewhere, it takes a special combination of mellinam and vallinam ("softness" and "hardness" in voice) to execute it well (for instance when descending from madhyamam to rishabam--one of the very emotive phrases in bilahari--, the madhyamam I find needs to be sung very delicately but the rishabam very forcefully to get the right impact, something violinists do excellently in the mandra sthayi right before concluding their alapanai, and even though they do it all the time and it should sound mundane, it doesn't to me :) ), and I have often been underwhelmed by bilahari renditions. Amongst vocalists, I think Nedunuri and MDR have/had supreme command over the raga. Of contemporaries, Malladi brothers sing bilahari quite well (unsurprising, given their guru), and there is a nice dorakuna that I'll upload today along with some of my personal favourites.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

That was one adventurous and unique bilahari by Mali. With a litte bit of flourish he shows you a few different faces of bilahari. BTW, I wonder if it is just me, in the first couple of minutes, I sensed a bit of Mohana Kalyani .

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I got a bit of just mOhanam in the first few phrases, but he introduces the shuddha ma in what I think is GP MGR S RG P as the refrain in the first minute or so, with a very faint touch on the madhyamam. Am I decoding correctly?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

The first bilahari I ever heard--Chembai singing paritAna michitE, accompanied by TNK and PMI (?).
http://www.sendspace.com/file/e4t1u6

Of note are TNK's raga alapanai, running through the important phrases of bilahari with great agility, Chembai's neraval at rokka micchuTaku nE showcasing the k. cApu feel of the composition excellently, and the conclusion of the swara prastharam with the G,RS GRS ND RS, RS NDP ... kOrvai. Not a big fan of the composition itself, but Chembai's manOdharma in this piece is an attraction in itself.

vasanthakokilam

Yes, those first few phrases, for some reason, sounded like phrases that belong to Mohanakalyani rather than bilahari. The opening 00:00 to 00:08 sounded like that, then 00:56 to 01:08, then again around 1:36 to 1:42. I think it is that slide down, the way they are doing it, especially the violinist, gives me that feeling. But there is another slide down 1:50 to 1:55 and 2:00 to 2:05 sound perfect and rest of the 18 minutes were all in the bilahari land. Again, this may all be due to my limited conception of how these ragas claim ownership of these phrases and method of execution. I am curious if others see anything like that in the above mentioned times.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

A beautifully delicate bilahari by VVS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3zxpuacqI
I love the sedate kalapramanam adopted for the alapanai. Very soothing.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

hey, you are partial to bilahari,( In mock anger,)did not the other raagas by VVS reach your ears? gobilalitha

vasanthakokilam

May be partially Bilaval and harikambhoji? ;) ( hmmm.. is it possible that bilahari is named that way, tracing its roots/relationship to those two ragas? Just loudly thinking )

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

vasanthakokilam wrote:May be partially Bilaval and harikambhoji? ;) ( hmmm.. is it possible that bilahari is named that way, tracing its roots/relationship to those two ragas? Just loudly thinking )

bilahari is older than HarikAmbhoji..
ramaswami dIkSitar, in one of his ragamalika-s refers to bilahari as bilAvu, and this strengthens the bilahari-bilAval relation..

also, the most popular version of bilAval (in performances) is alhaiya bilAval, which has a lot of bilahari in it..

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Wait, how is bilahari related to harikAmbOji? N2 doesn't seem to be a very important or common swara in its current usage...

vasanthakokilam

bilahari: It was a stretchy thinking considering Aro as a janya of HK. keerthi shot it down anyway. I am thrilled though that my hunch with bilaval was not that far off.

Keerthi, woud alhaiya bilAval have the raga chAyA of CM bilahari or it is just the notes employed are similar to Bilahari. I am not good with swara identification but go by instinctly pattern matching te raga aesthetics. Do you think one would sense bilahari there from that pov?

Other than some scalar CM ragas like Hindolam, Hamsadhwani, it is usually hard for me to catch on to such sameness across the two systems.( sindu bhairavi and yaman are probably the other two ). Quite disappointing on that count is Mohanam for me. I like listening to a good Mohanam with great sruthi suddham on Ga ( which for some reason even top class musicians occasionally waver half way through the piece ) and also with full-on grand CM Mohana gamakams. I was expecting an enhanced Mohanam experience with Deshkar or Bhoop. but I did not get that. It was highly pleasant and great in their own respects but came across light compared to Mohanam. The sruthi suddham was a great plus but with the employment of different gamakas, it is not the same.

I will look for aliya bilAval.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

http://www.parrikar.org/raga-central/bilawal

It is not easy to really get a carnatic raga- uttarAdi raga concordance, because of the difference in treatment..

We can instantly connect with renderings of hindoLam and hamsadhwani as they are (by large) scale based.. and this is in the way we sing/play them now.. I believe these too have a trans-scale swarUpa..

However the absence of the ahata-pratyahata/sphurita usages (of the kind seen in carnAtic) and difference in even kampita-s and jAru-s used in CM from those used in the other scheme; make it difficult to establish a relationship..

if you take jOgiya, which has the notes of sAvEri.. it sounds nothing like sAvEri.. the swara treatment, graha/nyasa treatment make it sound like malahari..

it is difficult to compare 'rAga aesthetics' as pattern construction and scale interpretation are different in noreth indian classical music vis-a-vis CM..

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Keerthi for the link. I did not know pariikar has his own site now outside of sawf. That sawf is quite unique, reading about and listening to classical music while Cictoria Secret advertisements flash by on the sides ;)

So if the raga bhava between HM and CM are different for the same Aro/Ava, by HM naming and classification methods, the carnatic treatment would be considered a separate raga, right? It will be very good to have an HM musician sing Carnataka Alhaiya Bilaval.