SanjaySubrahmanyan@WarrenRoad Pillaiyar temple , chennai

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Shyamalajr

Post by Shyamalajr »

Artists: Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Sri Nagai Muralidharan - Violin
Sri Gurvayoor Durai - Mridangam
Sri Neyveli Venkatesh - Kanjira
Venue : Warren Road Pillaiyar temple ,Chennai
When : 31st August 2008 , 8:30 PM to 11 PM

Songlist
1.evari bodha - abhogi varnam - patnam Subramania iyer
2.Vinayaka ninnu - hamsadhwani(S) - E.V. Ramakrishna Bhagavathar
3.Appa nan venduthal ketu arul purithal vendum - Poorvikalyani(R)
Tappedum nan seithalum ne poruthidal vendum (N,S) - Arutpa by Ramalinga swamigal
4.enneramum - devagandhari - gopalakrishna bharati
5.Brova barama raghurama - Bahudari (R,S) , - thyagaraja
6.Yaaro ivar yaaro - Bhairavi (R) , Chandra bimba mukha malarale ( N,S Thani) - Arunachala kavi
7.Theril erinaan - Kalyani - Papanasam sivan (?)
8.Evan yaaro - kambodhi - Kavikunjara bharati (Azhagar Kuravanji)
9.Tamil Virutham - Sindhu Bhairavi followed Visweswara darshan - Swati Tirunal
10.Arumo Aval - maand - Kannan Aiyyangar
11.Maname ganamum - bhimpalas - papanasam sivan
12.Mangalam

Overall : Good, Satisfying Concert by Sanjay with great support from stalwarts on the pakkavadhyam. As you can see from the songlist , the concert was dominated by Tamil songs. The concert started 30 mins late due to Pooja / Aradhana at the temple, but somehow Sanjay managed to sing all the above within the available time. Hats off to Sanjay for his Time management. He sang a brief Poorvi kalyani for 'Appa Nan', the neraval at 'Tappedum' was wonderful . Bahudari alapana was lovely , you should have heard the 'aah's from the audience when he started Brova Barama . Sanjay's bhairavi alapana was majestic as was the song 'Yaaro ivar yaaro' . I wonder if this song was a request from the audience. Before he commenced the Bhairavi alapana a cute little girl in a pavadai gave a small white paper to Sanjay with audience requests. Viruttham in Sindhu bhairavi preceding Visweshwara was touching. It was good to see plenty of little kids in the audience keeping talam with great enthu. Majorty of the audience stayed back until Sanjay completed the Concert at 11 PM.

Would like to hear the views of other rasikas who attended the concert last night.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It was good to see plenty of little kids in the audience keeping talam with great enthu.
but not, I hope (as ever), with noise? How good to see youngsters learning and enjoying, being the next generation of rasikas; but let them know the difference between concert and classroom, and not be the next generation of concert-disturbing noise makers.

Shame I missed the concert. I had planned to come, but did not budget my energy wisely, and used it up at a show at the Chennai Trade Centre.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Nick, In the nook and cranny of a problem, there lies an opportunity. May be we need to market a little thigh pad which is stretchable to the sruthi of the performer which also mutes the sound to a very low level.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ha! Now there's positive thinking!

:lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shyamala,
Thank you for the review. So many tamizh songs too.

A few corrections in the song list:
evari bOdhana
ivan yArO
manamE kaNamum

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Interesting to note that he sang the same arutpa at the same location last year too, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Don't feel that bad anymore on missing this one - since I was stuck watching Aruna Sairam do her version of Udayalur.

Shyamalajr

Post by Shyamalajr »

arasi wrote:Shyamala,
Thank you for the review. So many tamizh songs too.

A few corrections in the song list:
evari bOdhana
ivan yArO
manamE kaNamum
Thanks Arasi

I guess transliteration is an art by itself !