Mridangam Arangetram at San Jose, California

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kedari

Post by kedari »

Mrudangam Arangetram - Balaji Giridharan
Guru: Sri Ramesh Srinivasan
Vocal Support: Sri K.N.Shashikiran and Sri Chitravina P.Ganesh
Violin Support: Sri Hemmige V. Srivatsan

Song List:
1) ViriBoni (Varnam) - Bhairavi - Khanda Ata - PA
2)dEva dEva kalayAmit(NS) - mAyAmALavagauLa Rupakam - ST
3)divAkara tanujam ( R)- yadukula kAmbhOji Eka- MD
4)pArvati ninnunE - kalkkaDa - Adi (Tisra Nadai) - SS
5)Evvari Kai - Devamanohari - Misra Chapu - T
6)ennai nI maravAdE (RST)- AmrutavarshiNi Adi(1Kalai)- MMDD
7)saraguNa pAlimpa (R sketch)- - KEdAragaula Adi (2 Kalai)- PSI
8) Pallavi(Sogasuga mrudanga talamu, Sriranjani raga bharitha) - Sriranjani, - RTP with Anulomam, Pratilomam, Short Thani - Ranjani Ragamalika - Adi, 2 kalai, Arudhi Karvai 5 matras, ½ eduppu
9) Kurai on drum illai - Ragamalika - Adi
10) Sai Bhajan - Yemankalyani - Misrachapu
11) Thiruppavai - surutti - Misrachapu
12.) Dasavatharam Mangalam.

A big surprise awaited Carnatic music rasikas at Bay Area in San Jose, California on August 30, 2008. Normally used to endless dance arangetrams in this area, the first of its kind, the Mrudangam Arangetram by Balaji Giridharan, disciple of Sri Ramesh Srinivasan, well- known and popular Mrudangam Vidwan of Bay Area, turned out to be more than a debut concert, as was also highlighted by the eminent Chief Guest, Prof T.N.Krishnan.
Song selection was quite impressive. The whole concert was not looking like a debut concert but had all the ingredients and professional attributes to term it as a full- fledged regular concert. The whole concert was taken to a different level by the fabulous singing of Carnatica Brothers. The richness of their voice mingled with their involved rendering of Krithis with perfection in shruthi and laya made the concert a real feast to the audience. Sri Srivatsan provided excellent violin support which also enhanced the quality of the concert.
Coming to Balaji, the main person of the evening on his debut performance on Mrudangam did a commendable job. Song selections were such that all the major thalams in different tempos found a place in the concert. In Adi thalam, the varieties of beats to suit Oru Kalai and Rettai Kalai and Tisra nadai was highlighted by Balaji. The main Thani avartanam was played in 'ennai nI maravAdE' in Adi thalam at 'Atita Eduppu" from ‘Tamil Patti Nile’ - the charanam take-off point, embellished by the brothers. A sleek korvai, intermixed with chathursram and thisra nadai was used to transition to Tisra nadai. All this shows the level to which Balaji has been trained by his Guru Ramesh Srinivasan and one can only applaud Balaji and his Guru Ramesh for this stupendous effort. While the performance of Balaji has been quite impressive, one would hope that in due course, Balaji would effectively add tonal varieties and modulations to his playing.

cienu

Post by cienu »

kedari wrote:Mrudangam Arangetram - Balaji Giridharan
Guru: Sri Ramesh Srinivasan
Vocal Support: Sri K.N.Shashikiran and Sri Chitravina P.Ganesh
Violin Support: Sri Hemmige V. Srivatsan
Hello kedari,

Welcome to the forum. :)

We are delighted at Balaji's Arangetram and wish him a wonderful future.
However one should keep in mind that the Mridangam is always a supporting instrument for vocal and not the other way round. (whether the concert is Balaji's first or hundredth !)
The only exception as I can visualize, maybe, is a Tala Vadya Kutchery where there is an ensemble of various percussion instruments. In such programs the Vocalist usually renders the "supportive" role.

kedari

Post by kedari »

Not clear as to what you want to convey. All of us understand , Mridangam is by and large an accompanying percussion instrument and that was also very much seen When Balaji played admirably to the vocal concert of Carnatica brothers.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I think cienu is referring to your statement the Carnatica brothers were 'vocal support'. Would have been better to list them as 'vocal'.

manikand28

Post by manikand28 »

I was there at the concert as it was advertised from 3 to 6 pm. I thought I could listen for an hour and then I had to go to another commited engagement. The program started way after 3 pm, around 3.40 pm. Then the usual speeches, and both grandmoms coming to stage, singing prayer, lighting lamp, long talks, MC talking about various things. By the time first vocal rendition started it was past 4 pm. I had to leave after listening for 5 min. It was a wonderful experience, I am sure and I wanted to stay further. But the time punctuality at all bay area program is really _bad_. and I blame audience too. People keep pouring in throughout the program disturbing everyone. (I should note that I sat in last row of Upper Balcony of CET, so I can sneak out with least disturbance). No door to open and no noise created. maybe if Balaji's program started at 3 pm, there may be 15 or so people.
Last edited by manikand28 on 04 Sep 2008, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

mohan wrote:I think cienu is referring to your statement the Carnatica brothers were 'vocal support'. Would have been better to list them as 'vocal'.
You are right Mohan. Thanks

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Cienu you are right. There is no vocal support on a Mridangam Arangetram which actually demeans the instrument .. so to say. As such many main artistes are ruing about the fact that Mridangam dominates and most of the mridangists dont accompany for songs but just play for the rhythm. this might add to our woes further. There was a famous story which all might be aware yet i recall here : When a mridangist was not given Thani Avartanam in a Major concert he was so upset and at about the fag end of the concert he couldnt bear it any longer and asked for Thani Avarthanam from the Main artiste. At that juncture the Main artiste said "Ivvlo Neram Neenga Thaniya Thaane vasichindirundel. Idukku mela Thani Avarthanam Venuma ? " Meaning "All along you were playing alone only do u want a separate chance ?" The emphasis here is that the mridangam player was obviously not playing for the kritis but tala. Anyway i would be happy if kedari corrects it as Mridanga Arangetram of Balaji in Which he was accompanying Carnatica Brother who were the main singers.
Mannarkoil J Balaji

vedapriya

Post by vedapriya »

I was fortunate and delighted to attend the mrdangam arangetram of Sri Balaji Giridharan, disciple of the well-respected Bay Area based mrdangist, Ramesh Srinivasan, this past Sunday, as Balaji ably accompanied the Carnatica Brothers, Sri.K.N.Shashikiran and Sri Chitravina Ganesh, and Hemmige V. Srivatsan on the violin.

This arangetram also marked the first debut performance of the Sarvalaghu Percussion Art Center, a mrdangam school founded by Sri Ramesh Srinivasan, who is the leading disciple of Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri. Vellore G. Ramabhadran.

Having enjoyed Sri Ramesh Srinivasan's style of playing in various concerts in the US in the past for its sowkyam and his ability to bring out the beauty of every krithi without overshadowing the vocal artists, I was amazed at how well young Balaji has imbibed his guru's Baanee of providing "pakka" vadhyam and blending the mrdangam with the music. Whether it was the favorite Viribhoni Varnam in Bhairavi in Khanda Ata, or Parvati Ninnune in Tisra Nadai Adi Talam, Balaji also showed his ability to effortlessly handle different thalams and nadais with ease.

The Carnatica Brothers' soulful rendition of each krithi with strict adherence to sruthi and layam made the concert truly memorable. Sri Hemmige V. Srivatsan's melodious accompaniment on the violin enhanced the concert even further. It was so delightful to see how well both the Carnatica brothers as well as Sri Srivatsan encouraged the budding mrdangist, showing their appreciation of his playing repeatedly. This encouragement and support to young, upcoming artists by such established and well-respected artists such as the Carnatica Brothers and Sri Srivatsan is truly noteworthy and laudable.

As the esteemed chief guest of the event, Professor T. N. Krishnan stated in his speech at the end of the pallavi, the way in which Balaji played and brought pride to his guru and parents, made the concert sound and feel like a regular concert, rather than a mrdangam arangetram. With the blessings of his guru and parents, I hope that this young talented mrdangist achieves greater accolades as he matures as an artist.

erasigan

Post by erasigan »

Opportunity knocks at once door rarely, rarely still it is recognized and grabbed to one's advantage. Balaji is one such a person who grabbed the opportunity that came in the farm of his parental support and a good Guru. Through out the concert his accompaniment appeared as if it is from an expert. He was very well supporting the vocalist as well as the violinist.

As pointed out earlier by someone, the program started a bit late, and people were pouring in later. But, after 15 minutes into the program, the hall was completely full. Vocal, violin and the mrudhangam were so supportive of one another that the whole concert was wonderful.

As his Guru Ramesh pointed out in his remarks, I think this is only start for Balaji, in the days to come we wish he performs in many more concerts, improvise his accompaniment and bring laurels to himself, his parents and his Guru.