Veenai Jayanthi in Sydney

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
mohan

Post by mohan »

Jayanthi Kumaresh - veena
P Satishkumar - mrudangam

Swaralaya Sydney on 21 September 2008

1. Mathe (daru varnam), Khamas, Adi. HKM
2. Atukadara, Manoranjanani, Adi, T (s)
3. Sabhapathiku, Abhogi, Rupaka, GKB (s)
4. Manaviyalakim, Nalinakanthi, Adi, T
5. Ninnuvina, Purvikalyani, Misra Chapu, SS (a,s,t)
6. Idhisamayamura, Chayanattai, T
7. RTP, Charukesi, Adi with ragamalika swaram
+ thukkadas

Jayanthi gave a delightful concert to an appreciative Sydney audience that numbered around 260. She demonstrated complete mastery over the veena be it in krithi rendition, alapana or swara. Satishkumar provided wonderful accompaniment with subtle play to suit the veena complemented by a more aggressive tani in Misra Chapu. The concert lasted around 2 and half hours. Jayanthi didn't announce the pallavi lyrics and I didn't write down the thukadas but they included a Desh piece, a Sindhubhairavi piece, a Behag tillana (not Lalgudis), Radha samedha (Yamun) and Bhagyadalakshmi (Madhyamavathi).

The purvikalyani piece was not rendered in Viloma Chapu but was played commencing with the samam eduppu.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks Mohan for the review.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Jayanthi Kumaresh is a fine Vainika playing in the traditional way and her mastery is amazing. P.Satishkumr plaayed for her in Nrada Gana Sabh in Dec. 2007 I think. Thaanks for the review.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohan - thanks for the review - in all of Smt. Jayanti's concerts I have attended so far, she sings the pallavi, and demonstrates the tALam before taking up the pallavi - rather interesting that she did not do it here!

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

NZCMS is pleased to advise that Smt Jayanthi in the company of Shri Satish Kumar will give two concerts in NZ during the weekend of 27th and 28th Sep, 2008. The Auckland concert will be held in the Swaminaryan Temple on 27th commencing at 6.30pm.

Any aussie carnatic rasikas planning a trip across the ditch, please do let me know in advance. I will fix up the accomodation and tickets for you.

Cheers

mohan

Post by mohan »

rshankar wrote:in all of Smt. Jayanti's concerts I have attended so far, she sings the pallavi, and demonstrates the tALam before taking up the pallavi - rather interesting that she did not do it here!
She was announcing items up to the pallavi and then stopped. Just prior to the tanam a number of people left the auditorium which may have disturbed her concentration.