Vid. M S Vidya at the Sringeri matham, 12th July

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sowmya

Post by sowmya »

Rueing over my disconnection from the CM world, having shifted away from Bangalore, I heard some exceptional music unexpectedly. M S Vidya, daughter of Sheshagiri Achar [one of the Bellary brothers], gave a concert at the Sringeri matham. I hadn't heard her before, and went there just to listen to 'some' CM. She sang amazingly!!!

The best part was the shruti shuddhata - absolute adherence to shruti at all times... She started off with a varnam in Poorvikalyani, followed by a kriti on Ganesha in Shuddhadhanyasi and Mishra jhampa tala. It started with the words 'Paalaya maam Vinaayaka'. Nice alapana, and brisk swaras. This was followed by a superb alapana in Arabhi, followed by Sri Saraswati of Dikshitar in rupaka talam. This was also followed by swaras.

Next was a devaranama that I can't recollect now, followed by a majestic Shankarabharanam. I don't know why - I had been thinking of the raga since morning, and there it was!! I expected Shankaraachaaryam, but she sang another previously unheard kriti - Shankaragurum bhajeham, in Khanda triputa tala. I'm not sure of the ankita, but there was 'Srividya', so it might have been Jayachamaraja Wodeyar's. Can somebody confirm? Anyway, pretty kriti. I thought this would be the main piece, but she didn't do any neraval or swaras, and i had to leave after this. I wish I could have stayed longer...

I couldn't get the names of any accompanists. They were all unfamiliar, but supported her well. [there was Violin, mridangam, and morching].

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Wow!! Which place was this concert held? Unfamiliar compositions for an unknown artist!! Let's watch out..

-hari

rajeeram

Post by rajeeram »

Sanjay Subrahmanyan mentions her name in his blog here.

http://sanjaysub.blogspot.com/2008/07/m ... tions.html

Thanks for the review, sowmya.

vijayashankara

Post by vijayashankara »

The kriti 'Shankaragurum' is composed by Sri Bellary Sheshagiri Achar, father of Smt.M.S.Vidya.
Her concert went on for some more time. She rendered a few kritis in rare Ragas. It was nearly concluded by rendering Ragam, Tanam & Pallavi in Shanmukhapriya. There was also a talk by her on the subject of 'Tanam'. We were fortunate in being present throughout the concert. Thanks to Soumya for her kind review.

From,
Meenakshi & Bharati(Sringeri sisters),
Humble disciples of the great Vidushi M.S.Vidya
Last edited by vijayashankara on 05 Oct 2008, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

sowmya

Post by sowmya »

Wow! I missed an RTP?! :(

And which Bharati is this? Is it the one studying in RGCS?

karfan

Post by karfan »

I have managed to lay my hands on a rare recording of Bellary brothers. I will post it after converting it to mp3.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Vijayashankara: Do you or your guru happen to have a copy of the book visESa kIrtanAs by Bellary Seshagirachar? Thanks.

vijayashankara

Post by vijayashankara »

Lakshman: Yes,a book entitled 'VISHESHA KRITIMALA' ,collection of 25 compositions notated in kannada was released way back in 1985 when Sri Seshagiri Achar was alive. He has composed around 430 compositions in Sanskrita, Kannada and Telugu mainly.
Karfan: Cud u tell us what songs are contained in ur collection please?
Soumya: This is Meenakshi, the elder of the two among Sringeri Sisters, daughters of Prathima & Vijayashankara. My younger sister is Bharati. I don't know RGCS.We study at CBPur.

From,
Meenakshi & Bharati(Sringeri sisters),
Humble disciples of the great Vidushi M.S.Vidya

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Are his compositions available somewhere today?

vijayashankara

Post by vijayashankara »

A couple of compositions of vidwan M.seshagiri achar will be rendered by vidushi M.S.Vidya in a concert today.

Concert :

Venue: Siradi sai mandir, #56, Shirdi sai Nagar,
Kundalahalli gate, Marathhalli,
Vartur Road, Bengaluru -66.

date : 08/10/2008, Wednesday.

Time : 5PM.
Last edited by vijayashankara on 08 Oct 2008, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

sowmya wrote:followed by a kriti on Ganesha in Shuddhadhanyasi and Mishra jhampa tala
This is a composition of maisUr sadAShiva rAu.

Am waiting eagerly for karfan's audios of the bellary brothers.