Jhampa talam

Tālam & Layam related topics
tharangini

Post by tharangini »

Dear friends

I would like to know how jhampa talam is actually put. There is a nice swati tirunal krithi set to Devagandhari ragam called ' Jaya jaya raama ramana jaagrahi vibho'. this is set to jhampa talam. I am keen to learn how to put talam to sing this krithi.

Kind regards
tharangini

arunk

Post by arunk »

"jhampa" without any explicit prefix implies miSra-jhampa: 7 + 1 + 2 i.e. a miSra laghu, an anudhrutam and then a dhrutam. If the song is "faster" (which it may not be), I think it can be put as 2 khaNDa cApus per 1 cycle of miSra jhampa. For example sIta kalyANa vaibhOgamE is supposed to be jhampa, but typically put as khaNDa cApu
Last edited by arunk on 28 Feb 2008, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

fuddyduddy

Post by fuddyduddy »

Dikshitar's navagraha krithi - budhamashrayami, in the ragam naataikurunji, is set to this thalam as well.

ram

Post by ram »

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

dont forget that other variations of Jhampa thalam exist... like Khanda jathi jhampa thalam, which is 8 aksharams, or 16 (2 kalai). Shyama Sastri's krithi Sari Evaramma is set to this thalam (you can see that it set to this instead of Adi thalam, the arudhi comes after the 10th beat as opposed to after the 8th beat).

Chatusra Jathi Jampa is also commonly used for pallavis (that would be 7 aksharams).

The most popular krithis in misra jampa are Thyagaraja's Daatsu Kovalena and Munnu Ravana.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sankirnam, The Talangas have ‘kriyas’ i.e., acts like beats or waving-hands or finger counts etc., as their limbs and these ‘kriyas’ in turn have ‘aksharas’ i.e., 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 and so on as the case may be carrying by each one of them. In general, many of our Vidwans, in the absence of proper theoretical knowledge, are always used mis-spell the words. I hope you understand my point and try to use the correct word. amsharma.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dakshinamurthe in Shankarabharanam is set to Misra Jhampa Tala and there is also another kriti in Vegavahini set to Misra jhampa Tala-I think this kriti starts with "Veena Pusthaka Darini".

Jhampa Tala has five types based on Laghu variants viz., Tisra, Chatusra, Khanda, Misra and Sankeerna. The Tisra Laghu takes three, chatusra is four, khanda is five, Misra is seven and sankeerna is 9 finger counts respectively and correspondingly the total count per cycle of a tala also varies viz., 6,7,8,10,12.

The jhampa tala has the following structure :

One Laghu which is a variable according to the variety mentioned above.
One Anudruta which is a simple clap
and One Druta which is a clap and a wave.

The anudruta and druta remains constant whereas the laghu takes the variants to form the total count per cycle for a particular tala.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Here is a nice thani by UKS sir for misra jampa thalam, from TNS's 1979 KGS concert, main piece is Daatsu Kovalena.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p1qy5u

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

How is the tala being put by SSI Sir for Dakshinamurthe here?:
http://tributes.sangeethapriya.org/diks ... ithis.html
(The one that says 'Unknown' is SSI Sir).

Is it retta kalai 7 laghu + retta anudhrtam + retta kalai dhrtam?
14 + 2 + 4 = 20 counts?
Last edited by mahesh_narayan on 12 Apr 2008, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

My higly amateurish impression is that it is in 1 kaLai since the big stress on 'the' of murthe is 7 "1 kalai" beats away from "dha" of dhakshina. It is a tradition to map that big stress to the anudhrutham of misra jampa. Had it been 2 kAlai it would put the eduppu too far away from samam. That is my reasoning for picking 1 kaLai. It can be totally wrong ;)

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dakshinamurthe is in Misra Jhampa One kalai only as Vasanthakokilam has written

J.Balaji

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Balaji. Your affirmation feels as good as the first time I got to recognize a raga correctly.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

dear sankirnam can you post that thani by uks sir again?? because it says the file is not available

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

give me some time, ill post another jhampa thala thani

meanwhile, for those who are interested, Charsur released one album of Trichy Sankaran titled "Gaja Leela", which begins with a majestic 20 min. thani in misra jampa thalam... this is a must buy for sankaran fans!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Tap the following, one by one: the palm, the little finger, the ring finger, the middle finger, the forefinger, the thumb, the little finger again, the palm again, the palm yet again, then the back of the palm. Repeat the cycle. This is for the miSra jhampa tALam.

brs

Post by brs »

why does jhampa talam by default mean misra jhampa?is it because more no of compositions are set to this talam?