What really happened?

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music

Post by Guest »

Chembai

We were on tenterhooks for a while. What really happened? Was there a Virus problem? Hope we can post as freely as before. Please tell us if there are any restraints. Can the membership community help in any way?

GOOD LUCK! And thanks for all your troubles to keep us informed on CM and the lively discussions as also for the enlightening information you provide.

Post by Guest »

dear sir,

I think all previous posts on various topics got erased (since posts show :No: message.
whether possibe to retrieve them again.

to start from zero is a strain.

ksiyer

Post by Guest »

Thanks for asking. Before updating the site I took several backups of the database containing all the previous posts, users etc.

Then I tried to convert the site into a more broadbased portal with several new features. However, there were several problems that could not be addressed, and I am no computer expert. I tried for the last two weeks without any progress.

So I decided to switch it back to plain old forums (without a portal interface). I then tried to restore the database with the old posts and users etc... but it seems the database is corrupted with no possibility of bringing back the old topics which were discussed.

I am sorry for the loss of those valuable topics and the pain of re-registration which you may be going through, but it is beyond repair now. Let us discuss fresh topics and need not post the same things all over again.

Thanks for your patience and good wishes. Hopefully there will be no more major updates at least for the next 1 year, and even if there is, I will ensure that I do not disturb this forum in any way.

Post by Guest »

Dear SRK,

don't worry. we are all not experts in this field. all these will be a lesson for future.

we will start afresh.

Carnatic music is divine. You cannot (rather should not) attain divine pleasure so easily.

have to undergo some troubles .

I thank you for the pains & efforts taken by you for providing a better forum.

ksiyer

Post by Guest »

Apparently there are still some bugs. The topic was not loading for a while. We can be patient and would wait until you give the 'All clear' signal. There is no need to hurry! Please inform us through the 'sangeetham portal' when everything has been fixed. Also sending an e-mail to the registered members will help.

Post by Guest »

Everything is working. CML, could you let me know what is not working?

Post by Guest »

I am still getting an Javascript error when I click on the "General Discussion" link.But,i'm able to access and read everything

Post by Guest »

I just tested it with the latest versions of the browsers Opera, Internet Explorer, and Firefox, and I didn't get any errors. Maybe you need to update your browsers to the latest versions. Or enable javascript in the browser you're using.

Post by Guest »

I don't get any more errors. I am able to access and post. But the layout is slightly confusing; we have lost the smoothness of the previous version. That does not matter at all! We should now start our pursuit of CM appreciation and discussions right earnest

[ Added: 2005-05-20, 20:22 ]
Unable to save any page! Is it a problem with the formatting? But can select and paste the contents!

Post by Guest »

Sir

There is nothing wrong in trying to improvise an existing forum for betterment with added feature. But please create a new forum before testing on the exisiting one so that in case the new one clicks you could discontinue with the older one and continue with the older one if the new experiement fails. For a few days I was a fish out of water, a child who lost its mother since from the very beginning, this forum had bound me to it. I request you to retain this and get going as long as you can for which I pray to the Omnipotent to be beside you and bless you with more vigour, energy and strength to keep we CM lovers to stay with you in all your troubles.

Regards

Kutty

Post by Guest »

I guess this bright interface is better than the earlier one?

Post by Guest »

Chembai

the site still in testing mode?

Post by Guest »

No it is not in testing mode. It is fully functional and there wont be any changes or updates or disturbances for now.

Post by Guest »

Definitely! The screen is bright and clear. It is helpful for oldies like me whose vision is not sharp! Thanks!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The latest change has totally confused me :(
What is really happening?
Are we trying to recover and merge with the old threads?

Pl. EXPLAIN

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

What is really happening? Are we trying to recover and merge with the old threads?
Yes, that is true. I was able to recover a part of the old discussions. I thought it would be better to reinstate those back here. At the same time, I wanted to put the top logo and do some final adjustments to the forum.

This was definitely an unplanned development. I was thinking my backups were totally useless, but I found a way to manually extract some maningful data from it, and hence this result. There is no more work pending in this regard. I was just working on this all of yesterday and today (in the background without disturbing the previous setup) and finally when everything was successfully merged, I activated this final version.

I hope it does not create any confusion, since this interface is by far, the simplest & most elegant of all, and I dont intend to disturb it any further, now that we've been able to get the old posts also.

There is only one small glitch. When one of us starts a new thread on a particular topic, I have seen that a lost post from the old forum suddenly makes its appearance quite randomly (and out of context) in the new thread. This is not a serious problem and I can deal with it when it arises. Please inform me if this happens anywhere.