Parithana Michithe Recording

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I just uploaded a recording of Parithana Michithe (Bilahari) on Rapidshare. For those who will be downloading it, I would suggest you pay special attention to the following (which I personally enjoyed most):

1. The sparkling ragavistara on violin by T.N.Krishnan
2. The anticipation and timing of Palghat Mani Iyer's playing specially during the pallavi and anupallavi.
3. The neraval and swaraprastara by Chembai.

Here is the file: http://rapidshare.de/files/2010219/Pari ... i.wma.html

The file size is 8.25MB and the music is for 17min 50sec.

And yeah, do let me know what you liked and didn't like, once you finish listening to it.

divakar

Post by divakar »

thanks for sharing srkris,
oh! chembai was all thru praising tnk (my fav.)
was it pmi ? (just curious, 'cos it was mild)..
listened to same song by chembai-msg-pmi in a concert posted by sri raju, where you can say it was pmi for sure.

a very good piece to share and listen.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yes it is PMI indeed. Here I am not sure PMI had a separate mic for the mridangam.

divakar

Post by divakar »

thanks srkris,
usually PMI is very 'bold' and hence my curiosity.
or may be it was no mike to him alone ? cant say.
it should have been 'bold' (as ever) to really heighten the overall effect.
it is always so nice to listen when PMI plays to ARI and Chembai. he joins the vocalist and produces sparks which is thrilling.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Maybe in the following Thani Avarthanam, you would be able to notice PMI's aggression very well. I guess the person on the Ghatam is Vilvadri Iyer. This thani was after Kaddanuvariki (Thodi)

:arrow: http://rapidshare.de/files/2026499/Thani.mp3.html

divakar

Post by divakar »

aha!
thanks srkris for the thani 'gift'. chembai-pmi must have given many wonderful concerts. atleast there are a few recordings available for us to enjoy.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Not only TNK the voice of chembai is magnificent. He traverses the tara sthayi of bilahari with relative ease. Of course TNK follows stroke by stroke. Thanks for the clip.

Now here is my question. In the swaraprastharam chembai repeatedly uses 'gaththithanithathaaM'. Unless it is part of a 'thaanam' the notes imbedded are ' d n d d' which is illegal for the Bilahari aarOhaNa. Or am I wrong? Pl enlighten me.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

In the swaraprastharam chembai repeatedly uses 'gaththithanithathaaM'. Unless it is part of a 'thaanam' the notes imbedded are ' d n d d' which is illegal for the Bilahari aarOhaNa.
Are you joking or what?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That was a serious question. I did rack my brain and got the solution. The full phrase pattern is:
g d d n d d which splits as the thaTTu arohanam g d d and the avarohanam n d d which is fine.
You can hear the swara pattern more than once towards the end of the clip!
Sometimes swara patterns throw me off and in some cases the artists do slip!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

:| They are plain normal swaras

"GRS GRSNDRS GRSNDS GRSND-RSNDP-DPMGR Rokka...." is what he sings.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks for decoding :D

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover,

dnd is valid (like it is for kAmbhOji). The fact that ni is absent in arohana doesnt mean that it cannot follow da. Instead of concentrating on its absence in arohana, look at it differently as in it is present only in the avarohana. This means that from ni you must descend. That is the rule that is implied by the aro/avaro of bilahari. So dnd is valid, dnp is valid but dnS' is invalid.

Arun

PS: Dont you remember how we learned this lesson on a different forum (;-)?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are quite right arun! I just forgot.
Yes, if it was dnS' then it is a violation.