Renditions - right and wrong

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
shankarank

Renditions - right and wrong

Post by shankarank »

Sachi_R wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 18:56 Has striven to correct wrong renditions of Dikshitar
That is not a valid claim to make. There is a Sruti aspect which we seem to ignore. At best you can call it “a rendition” or “a version”. Without the benefit of the tradition of listening and learning, even these renditions are not possible.

@Sachi_R I suppose you heard this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y622OMK3Pc8
I see it has a kApinArAyaNi like touch of “pd2n2” in dAnavakula and in refrain back to angArakam. Also it goes berserk into kEdAragauLa in kaTAkshAnugrahapAtram. MMI handles that with a unique kArvai , but not quite this way of reaching R2! Reason enough for SrI tyAgarAja parampara to shun this as their Sruti did not include this. If this is there in notation, that is only smRti , a fractional projection of what was once sung, not Sruti. I don’t subscribe to the notion of a composer and an original composed version. SmRti cannot exist without Sruti. Also holding a book like that is almost “light music” as Sri HarikESanallur Venkataraman , a critic pointed out in his pre-speech to Ariyakudi foundation this year! It is not Carnatic music. So is the artiste going to say he is not singing Carnatic music? He already said he is not doing kutcheri anymore! If he wants to sing this version, let him do it without making any statement about it, his personal endeavor as a vidvAn. Why should he be afraid that somebody will think that is wrong! If someone has never learnt this kriti, and the book is the only recourse, yes they can refer to it and practice it. But then they must know what Surutti is otherwise - no?

On other dimension of Sruti – the name of artistes like Semmangudi refers to the place of hailing actually embodies their Sruti which itself is infinite. It is not some honorific or reputational appendage. It represents their outer and inner hearing and sAdhana!

Lets not use the word “wrong” to refer to what vidvans have rendered.

Sachi_R

Re: Renditions - right and wrong

Post by Sachi_R »

Good post, Shankaran.

I was only listing his claims, saying his authority is SSP.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

By the way I have heard talks by other musicians berating versions they consider
* patently inauthentic (eg SSP)
* patently wrong as per Carnatic grammar
* patently unmusical etc.

I also am a culprit because I often decry Sahitya lapses in two languages I think I know - Kannada and Sanskrit.

But music is an art form. However much you insist the way KVN sings Annapurne Vishalakshi is wrong, I still enjoy it. However much you say that Akhilandeshwari is NOT a Dikshitar composition(viewtopic.php?p=133310#p133310), I like it very much.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Yester year vidvans had training staying with their gurus or in their village. Their focus was not excellence in language which is a different pursuit. But language here becomes part of music - where its sound merging with rAgA is also important. Given that neither of the two languages listed are spoken by them, one of them not anywhere in speech and you instead have a language like tamizh which does not have aspirated consonants, you have to give some concessions in that regard.

That said, current musical training in music colleges which never produce any great musician anyways, can be testing grounds for other things, like the alternative view of language as sound, phonetic training, than the literary critical world view taken by the study of English. The Bharatiya Siksha program can be implemented there first. No loss to any career anyway.

At least we will have a seminal population of informed , educated citizenry that is unlike what you see in media/public life, more grounded in our ancient treasures.

It could also include aesthetic mathematics - talking about symmetry and beauty of Math, physics and other natural Sciences.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

All wonderfully constructive points!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdh5MJF-KI - this rendition of sUrya kriti is a lilting one by children. That however shows the limitation of smriti. While it is enjoyable on it's own and may as well be close to what is notated, are we going to say the vidvan's rendition is a professional rendition for concert sake? And the former is some original music composed by the composer?

We ourselves devalue the whole of musical tradition at that point!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

On the natives of musicians added to their names, there was once a conversation I recall, not in some Chennai ghetto or a village - this was in Houston (can you believe it?) , Texas from a senior executive of a software firm. It was about SrI Lalgudi and there was this subtle insinuation that they were originally from Valadi, but chose to add Lalgudi to their names just for it's name value. Sri Lalgudi in fact does not hide that here - search Valadi in this article : https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 859141.ece

I tell you, that generation of people were drunken sailors talking nonsense when the cultural titanic was sinking around them!

Here TNS explains where Dr. HMB was born and how Harikesanallur got added to his name. Punalveli and Harikesanallur were neighbouring villages: https://youtu.be/gFZ_NFUJ3A8?t=636