Kanjira Maestro G Harishankar Remembrance Day At Chennai On

Concerts and other events related to CM.
sathsangeethapriyan

Post by sathsangeethapriyan »

Never before, Never after we could see a great maestro like G Harishankar. I used to wonder why no initiative has been taken to observe a shraddanjali for this legend whom God snatched away from us at the prime age of 44. I had the good fortune of listening to his great kanjira live in innumerable concerts. Almost five years later now I hear Some of his disciples in Chennai and Bangalore are gearing up to have a remembrance day observed. One of his Disciples in Chennai Nerkunam Shankar is spearheading the arrangements. I was told that the function is taking place on Feb 9th at Raga Sudha Hall, Luz Avenue, MYLAPORE, Chennai. An Impressive line up of speakers, honoring the senior most Kanjira player of Mayavram Somu and Audio visual presentation of excerpts from Harishankar's concerts are the attractions. A special booklet with rare photographs and articles by atleast fifty musicians is also being released. A special homage presentation called CHATURANANA is also planned.
It is indeed very thoughtful and a sincere step by Shankar and company to organise this event. The maestro deserved the best the world could offer for his monumental contribution done consistently yet casually till he died. I hope his family has recovered and stabilised by now. Those who would like to join me in supporting this event financially and otherwise can contact Nerkunam Sankar at +919841135405. He has incidentally floated an association called Kalaimamani G Harishankar Admirers Circle under which banner the function takes place.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

what a thoughtful and great effort!
Here's wishing the function every success.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Great.. really wonderful to hear about it, wish I could be there!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I will try to be there. Happy to have the opportunity of giving respect to this great man.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Surely one of the most brilliant and enigmatic peformers in the history of music. Unfortunately I have never heard him live but thankfully there are some videos preserved on youtube...wishing the event all success!

n s sankar kanjira

Post by n s sankar kanjira »

Thank u so much for all who wished the event ...if any one having this great masters photo &videos pls contact me
thank u
Last edited by n s sankar kanjira on 21 Jan 2008, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm glad Mayavaram Somasundaram is getting an award too.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

There are plenty of videos of Harisankar on Youtube...

sshankar_1970

Post by sshankar_1970 »

n s sankar kanjira wrote:Thank u so much for all who wished the event ...if any one having this great masters photo &videos pls contact me
thank u
There are a few on you tube . There is one with UKS , GH and THV played for a concert of MBK with TNK . I read a thread somewhere else about this tani .. A wonderful clip.. Another one features Trichy Sankaran , Harishankar and Zakir Hussain also on you tube..

n s sankar kanjira

sshankar_1970 wrote:
n s sankar kanjira wrote:Thank u so much for all who wished the event ...if any one having this great masters photo &videos pls contact me
thank u
There are a few on you tube . There is one with UKS , GH and THV played for a concert of MBK with TNK . I read a thread somewhere else about this tani .. A wonderful clip.. Another one features Trichy Sankaran , Harishankar and Zakir Hussain also on you tube..
thank u so much for ur msg

cienu

Post by cienu »

All the very best for the event , n s sankar kanjira and sathsangeethapriyan. What you and the other organisers are doing for the late Harishankar is apt.

If Ahmed Jan Thirakwa was popularly known as the "Mount Everest of Tabla" , Harishankar can truly be called as the "Mount Everest of Kanjira".

Is there a sovenueir which is being brought out, or a collection of photographs? In that case please let us know. I would be very interested in a copy of the same.
Last edited by cienu on 29 Jan 2008, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Any program details, ie timing, available for this event, please?

n s sankar kanjira

nick H wrote:Any program details, ie timing, available for this event, please?
prog starts at 6 15 pm at raga sudha hall chennai.....

n s sankar kanjira

nick H wrote:Any program details, ie timing, available for this event, please?
Last edited by n s sankar kanjira on 08 Feb 2008, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

n s sankar kanjira

cienu wrote:All the very best for the event , n s sankar kanjira and sathsangeethapriyan. What you and the other organisers are doing for the late Harishankar is apt.

If Ahmed Jan Thirakwa was popularly known as the "Mount Everest of Tabla" , Harishankar can truly be called as the "Mount Everest of Kanjira".

Is there a sovenueir which is being brought out, or a collection of photographs? In that case please let us know. I would be very interested in a copy of the same.
defanatly u can get the copy of book at the venue on 9 th u can contact me over ph r mail nerkunamsankar@yahoo.co.in