Private lessons in Trivandrum?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

Hello. I am new to this forum, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Randy and I am an American graduate student living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I will be spending 2 months in Trivandrum, Kerala this summer. I am an untrained musician who plays guitar, drums, and bass in a rock band, but I would really like to take some private music lessons while I'm in Kerala this summer. My primary interest is in tabla, although I'm open to learning how to play any traditional Indian musical instrument.
So my question is, does anybody here know how or where I can find private music lessons? If you have any information, please get in touch with me at randyf3 at gmail dot com.
Thank you.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Randy, the Tharanginisari Music School in Trivandrum which was established by the famous musician KJ Yesudas teaches Western music as well as North and South Indian music. They teach a range of instruments including tabla. You can contact them by phone on +91-471-6578075; Mobile: +91 9447171714

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

Thank you very much for the information!
Do you know if they offer private lessons, or only public courses?
Either way, I appreciate the information very much.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Please check out this website also: http://chandrakantha.com/teachers/teach ... erala.html
Only a few of the people are based in Trivandrum - they may be able to guide you to a tabla teacher.
Best of luck; do let us know if you found a good teacher!

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

Thanks!
I'm here now and finally on-line and able to start contacting people.
I'll keep you guys posted...

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

Thanks to all of you, especially mohan. I'll be attending my first tabla lesson today at the Tharinganisari Music School here in Trivandrum.

hindolam

Post by hindolam »

On the subject of tabla has there EVER been a pure carnatic concert with violin and tabla instead of mridangam?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I know I'm going to 'mispronounce' this, but would it not then be dabala, rather than tabla?

raj-123

Post by raj-123 »

Randy,
Tell us your experiences on music lessons and also on Trivandrum. How did you the Trivandrum culture is? Do you find the place exciting? What are your impressions?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A quick impression from me:

exciting is the very last word I would apply to Trivandrum.

---Which is one of the reasons I like it so much, and would even maybe like to live there!

:lol:

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Hindolam i vaguely rememberd to have overheard a conversation that in America one of our musicians sang a full fledged carnatic concert to the accompaniment of Hamonium and Tabla.

Make your guesses.

J.Balaji

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

All of my thougts, experiences, etc. are blogged here: http://thrrrdwave.wordpress.com/
Meredith (AKA Mimi) is my girlfriend, who is also blogging there with me.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

randyf3 - enjoyed reading your diary in your blog. Great scenic pictures of places and food. So long you keep away from discussing U.S. politics and Iraq war, you will enjoy your stay. Good luck and may your efforts to learn tabla pay off in the long run.

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

I've actually had a few political discussions with some of our friends here. My political views aren't very dissimilar at all, so it works out. Plus, the fact that the governor of my home state, Louisiana, is an Indian-American (Bobby Jindal), causes his name to get brought up fairly frequently.

appu

Post by appu »

hindolam wrote:On the subject of tabla has there EVER been a pure carnatic concert with violin and tabla instead of mridangam?
L.Subramanium for the longest time used to perform only to the accompaniment of Tabla. So did his brother L. Shankar

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

randyf3 - You must be a good politician knowing how to communicate. Bobby Jindal is one of the prospective Presidential prospects, in the next 4 to 12 years. I like New Orleans and have visited twice but never participated in Mardigras.

randyf3

Post by randyf3 »

Jindal is being heavily discussed as John McCain's potential running mate. Jindal keeps saying he's not interested, but I'm not sure if he's saying that as a political tactic or if he actually means it. It remains to be seen, I guess...

New Orleans is wonderful. One of the best cities in the world! I'm from Baton Rouge, which is significantly less cool. Baton Rouge is kind of like Trivandrum in certain ways. Slow pace of life and friendly people, but not a lot of excitement. Except Baton Rouge is different in that the people are much less progressive than they seem to be here.