vid Sanjay Subrahmanyan at Ayyappa Temple, Anna Nagar 22-jun

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Sanjay Subrahmanyan – Vocal
Nagai Muralidharan - Violin
Neyveli Venkatesh - Mrudangam
M. Govindarajan - Ghatam

Ayyappa Temple, Anna Nagar
22nd June 2008. 6:45 pm
Sponsors: YACD/ Sri Krishna Sweets

1. undan pAda pankajam (V) – SankarabharaNam – Madurai Subramania Iyer
2. Siva cidambaramE dariSikka manamE – nAgaswarAvali – muttu tAnDavar
3. appA nAn vEnDudal – pUrvi kalyAni – rAmalinga aDigaL (R, N@tappEdu nAn Seyinum nee poruttal vEnDum)
4. appan avataritta kathAmritam – kharaharapriya – pApanASam Sivan (R)
5. kAna kaN Ayiram – nIlAmbari – Anai ayyA (R-sketch)
6. OhO kAlamE – sahAnA – vEdanAyakam piLLai
7. ellAm Sivan SeyalenRE – vasantA – SuddhAnanda bhArati (R, NS@anjEl anjEl enRu achattai pOkkiDum, T)
8. tEril ERinAn – kalyAni
9. orumaiyuDan ninadu tiruvaDi – viruttam - rAmalinga aDigaL
10. vAzhiya Sentamizh

The piece ‘orumaiyuDan’ was first rendered as a viruttam and then repeated in a much faster pace with accompaniments. Sanjay announced at some point during the viruttam that it was in paTdeep.

Overall a great experience. The Vasanta was specially moving. I went to this all tamizh concert with great anticipation of listening to a few Gopalakrishna Bharati numbers but had no reason to complain at the end!

prashant

Post by prashant »

Sri Sanjay's repertoire is alike a bottomless ocean :-)

jananee

Post by jananee »

Absolutely...u tend to wait so eagerly for the song lists of his concerts!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Great to see Suddhananda Bharathi in the list of Sanjay's rich repertoire. Wish I had heard that vasanthA.
Starting from the varNam, an all tamizh concert--aNNA nagaril aiyyappan kOil AnAlum, anniya mozhigaL Edumillai (there were no songs in languages other than tamizh). By 'anniya' I don't mean 'alien' or 'of others'. Yes, I love telugu, kannaDA , malayALam and sanskrit songs too.
Who knows? NAmakkal Kavignar's 'katti inRi, rattaminRi yuddamonRu varugutu, sattiyattin nittiyattil nambum yArum sErungaL' might catch his fancy and soon we may hear it on stage! Then again, you can never tell...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

tEril ErinAn is also by Papanasham Shivan.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Was there a special reason to have an 'all tamizh' concert?

isai_rasigan

Post by isai_rasigan »

If I remember correctly Sanjay started the virutham 'orumaiyudan' with Sindhu Bhairavi and then moved on to Pat Dheep.

This concert was part of the thematic concert series 'Tamizh Isaiyil Eppadi Padinaro' organized by YACD.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

isai_rasigan wrote:This concert was part of the thematic concert series 'Tamizh Isaiyil Eppadi Padinaro' organized by YACD.
Ah!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
'eppaDiyellAm pADalAm' enRum koLLalAm!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Only one song on Ayyappan`s Amma ?:)
Last edited by grsastrigal on 25 Jun 2008, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

108talas

Post by 108talas »

queen,

'eppaDiyellAm pADalAm' enRum koLLalAm

'enRUm(any day) poruLuDanE (as an asset too) nillaikkum'

madhavan

Post by madhavan »

Wonderful concert of Sanjay. Majority of the songs were rare!.
But very poor audio system that it was jarring, voice was distorted and output level was too high due to which it looked like as if he was shouting. Many sabas lack focussing on better audio systems!

prashant

Post by prashant »

I highly encourage [for what it's worth :)] everyone to download this concert from the charsur website. If not for anything else, then for the beautiful viruttam where Sanjay sings a beautiful sindhubhairavi, paTdIp, bEgaDA and kApi. That viruttam and the aesthetics displayed there was by itself worth the Rs. 250 for me.
Last edited by prashant on 08 Oct 2008, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

manikand28

Post by manikand28 »

why are they so expensive for US people? most of carnatic loving people i should say are temp on visas in US. If they were priced at same price for everyone as in India also, I would hae downloaded many. Because of pricing structure I have not downloaded any. this economic situation, indian people are well off than american counterparts.