Rag: Japaneeya

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

I happened to listen to a song during a Bhajan programme, sung by the Bhagavathar. After the programme, on my enquiry, the Bhagavathar said the raga is "Japaneeya" . At some places this rag sounds like Sivaranjini. Can any member please give some details on this ragam and any known Keerthans in this raga.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

From here: http://www.karnatik.com/janyalist2.shtml

japanIya S R2 G2 P D1 S - S D1 P G2 R2 S

The pUrvAngam is same as Sivaranjani which explains what you heard. Given the swaras. did you get the morning raga feel as well? ( boopalam, bowli, revagupthi, malayamarutham ish. )

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

VK, what is vAsanthi, then?
Is it S R2 G3 P D1 S-S D1 P G3 R2 S?

vasanthakokilam

http://www.karnatik.com/janyalist2.shtml lists it same as what you wrote

vAsanti S R2 G3 P D1 S-S D1 P G3 R2 S

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

VK, I feel it is the sudhdha rishabham which gives the feel of the morning raga; once the Chaturshruthi rishabam appears, the tone becomes majestic-as in Mohanam.

vasanthakokilam

Punarvasu: You are right, The small Ri is a major contributor for that morning raga feel.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Thank you for the information. It is janya of 20th Mela Natbhairavi . Is any song, in this raga, available to listen or any film song? I feel the hindi song sung by Mhd. Rafi "Jindagi kabeena banja..there yad" ( sorry, I am not very sure about the correctness of the lyrics). In this song the sudh Daivath note is very prominent. Please post if any song is available in this raga to l;isten. Thank you.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Respected 'vageyakara' Sri. Ramraj, Namaskaram. I heard your very nice composition "adhi madyanta rahithE" in the Rag Kaathyayani, sung by Yourself/ Sri. Rajkumar Bharati. You are really genius and blessed musician, as otherwise it is not any easy task to compose songs in rarest of rare ragas. My pranams to you for bringing out this particular song, something very attractive and evoking instant happiness in the mind. Long live KRji.

After listening to your rendition I am tempted to reopen this thread, started by me months back. This raga exactly sounds the same as the rag '' Japaneeya " and also has the same arohanam and avarohanam pattern. Are the two ragas viz.Kaathyayani and Japaneeya are one and the same? Both are janya of 20th mela Natbhairavi. Please guide. Thank you,

Hariharan.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Japaneeya - named for Japan?!!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Maybe a good place to list all non-Vivadhi variants of Mohanam:

SR1G2PD1S - Bhupalam
SR1G3PD1S - Revagupthi
SR2G2PD1S - Japaneeya
SR2G3PD1S - Vasanthi
SR1G2PD2S - ??
SR1G3PD2S - ??
SR2G2PD2S - Sivaranjani
SR2G3PD2S - Mohanam

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Sri. Vijay,
Very informative to bring out all varieties of SRGPDS-SDPGRS
based ragas. The left out 2 names of ragas in your list are

SR1G2PD2S - ??
This is Raga ' Vaijayanthi ' a janya of 10th mela,Natakapriya
Have any one heard an audio of this rag? Please post the link or songs, if any available, for information

SR1G3PD2S - ??
This is raga ' Varnaroopini ' a janya of 17th mela, Suryakantham.
This raga has similarity with the Hindusthani rag ' Bhattiyar '.
This rag has been discussed in details in our forum earlier. Please see the following links for ready reference.

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... opini.html
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... opini.html
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... tiyar.html

Hariharan.
Last edited by hariharan on 27 Mar 2009, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

vijay wrote:Maybe a good place to list all non-Vivadhi variants of Mohanam:

SR1G2PD1S - Bhupalam
SR1G3PD1S - Revagupthi
SR2G2PD1S - Japaneeya
SR2G3PD1S - Vasanthi
SR1G2PD2S - ??
SR1G3PD2S - ??
SR2G2PD2S - Sivaranjani
SR2G3PD2S - Mohanam
Hi vijay asnd Hariharan,
Sa ri (chathusruti) GA (sadarana) pa D(sudha)SA
SA da(sadharana ) PA GA (Sadharana)RI(chatusruti) gives KAtyAyani(Janya of nata Bhairavi.
Please ref to my composition" Adi madyantha rahitE ShivE"
http/www.karnatik.com/c3465.shtml
The creator of this Ragam is Venkatagiriyappa of Mysore (vide his SANGFFTHAMRUTA SaRAM) as per Ragsm Pravgam of D/Pattammal
Whereas , as per Samp.Pradharshini, katyAyani is a janyaa of (62) Rishabha priya) with the following scale SA RI GA MA PA NI SA:SA NI PA MA GA RI SA I adopted katyaani as the jan,of Nata bhairavi
fOR THE SIMPLE REASE REASON THAT it has more capotivizing mood .As for Japaneeya I have not so far come acros any textual reference

'
Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 28 Mar 2009, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Sri. Ramrajji, Very informative posting on the rag Kathyayani. Thanks.
The rag Japaneeya is listed as the janya of 20th mela in the
' Ragapravaham' book of index to carnatic ragas by Dr. MN.Dhandapani and Smt.D.Pattammal (ref.Sl.No.73- page110)
having the same aroh and avaroh notes of Kathyayani.

Hariharan.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks Hariharan and Ramraj sir

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Yes Mr.Hari,
zi just now tumbled upon th page u have rerered.which has a little difference in the sl. no.76 and not 73 which appears on pageNo106and not 110.Whereas in the exclusivw listofCERTAIN Ragas WITH SEVERA;L NAMES ONE THE SAME rAGAS(PAGE245 of the tamil edition of the same book both kAatyAyani and Jappaneeya do not fing place..An interesting omision indeed/
Any way hthanks for ur information RADHE KRISHNA !
KR
Last edited by vageyakara on 29 Mar 2009, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Respected Sri. KRji, The book I had referred (sl. no. 73 folio 106) is the revised edition of the book published in October,1991. The source reference for Kathyayani raga is given as ' AV " and that of Japaneeya as " AR ". What this ref stands for. Can you please guide by expanding the short forms given as source ref. in this book.
With kind regards,
Radhekrishna
Hariharan.